“great breakfast”

Bru's Wiffle - A Waffle Joint
Ranked #88 of 676 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
San Diego, California
“great breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've only been here once but would definitely want to go again when in LA. The people we were visiting live in Brentwood, so it is a short drive for them and they have gone several times. They were concerned that there might be a long line (summer weekend at 9:30), but we were seated within 5 minutes after a cordial greeting and smile. When we left there was a long line out front, so try to go before 10:00. It is a relatively small restaurant.

The specialty here is waffles and they do them well - great body and flavor, cooked just right. They have a number of chicken and waffle plates (fried boneless chicken on top or on the side of a waffle) with various sauces and additions possible, plus more traditional waffles with fruit, waffles with eggs, French toast, omelettes and sides. They also have a nice beverage menu, including some great coffee drinks, herbal drinks, and mimosas of different kinds.

I chose the Popeye scramble (eggs, spinach, tomatoes and onions) with waffle plate and hot ginger tea (already had my morning coffee) all of which was great. I also tasted the chicken and waffle dish that someone else in my group ordered, and would want to order that sometime too.

Service was great - very pleasant wait staff. I highly recommend this restaurant for a casual breakfast for a couple or small group.

• Visited August 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Unique restaurant with creative menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

A twist on the Waffle. Not breakfast, lunch or dinner, but any one of these or all of them. A unique and creative menu and the food is delicious too. Popular with the local crowd.

• Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Too bad- Bru's used to be so good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Had an unfortunate experience at Bru's for lunch- this place used to be great- yum food, good service, so-so atmosphere, but the rest made it worth going to. Loved those chicken and waffles! Today the service was dreadful- took forever to take the order, the server came by and asked us how things were so far when we had only gotten iced tea! Then we waited ages for the food and it was okay but not great. My chicken seemed tough- as if it been cooked and re-heated. We asked for the same condiment three times (from three different wait staff), finally going up to the kitchen to get it myself! Maybe this place has gotten too popular for its own good. We won't be back. Oh well- at least there are lots of options in Santa Monica!

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles
“Waffle Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm becoming a waffle connoisseur (or addict), therefore when I asked a friend for a recommendation for a good waffle place I was staking my entire friendship on my experience at Bru's.

Thankfully everything was just right! My 30 minute wait became 5 minutes. No sooner than I ordered did I have my food and drink served.

Of course the key to a good waffle is light and crispness and enough sweet to not require a drowning in syrup. Mission accomplished. As for the chicken- breasts lightly breaded, tender and juicy. Just right. A pleasant surprise came in the dipping sauces. In addition to hot sauce and homemade ranch (best I've ever tasted), there was a dipping cup of gravy. Light and sweet with just enough smoke.

Bru's has the right vibe of casual dining, but with nice extra touches of high end flatware and china. Their mimosas are towering and refreshing and I intend to visit this waffle heaven again and again!

• Visited June 2013
California
“Always eat here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I first heard about this wonderful waffle/breakfast/lunch venue on Citi TV in Santa Monica. I rushed over the same day to see if the waffles were really as good as I'd heard. Well, they are even better! My first waffle was piled with bananas, whipped cream and nutella and it gets better every time. You can choose your own toppings or select from a variety of waffles. The rest of the menu is excellent too. They have a large selection of breakfast and lunch items including sandwiches.

• Visited April 2013