Tripadvisor
Santa Monica

“Wow! A wonderful dining experience!”
Review of Tar and Roses

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: SE Corner of 6th Street
Description: Centered around a wood burning oven, Tar & Roses serves farmers market driven, internationally inspired cuisine.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Wow! A wonderful dining experience! We have dined at Michelin-stared restaurants in France and The Netherlands and at some of the best restaurants in SF, but Tar and Roses counts among the very best places we have ever eaten. Creative dishes and truly great wine pairings make it so special. This last dinner was our third dinner there and we will be back.

Date of visit: January 2020
2  Thank EAL1948
Write a reviewReviews (629)

Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

I went with my boyfriend because of the great reviews this place has;and even with this background of high expectations, we were happily surprised with the amazing food we had for dinner.
The staff was really kind , specially our waiter and the service was great.
I would really recommend what we had, specially the octopus skewers (I always have high expectations when it’s octopus and they were delicious, seriously, don’t hesitate to order them); the sunchokes were delightful, and we have a carbonara and the duck which also was great.
It’s not a cheap place, we spent around 130 USD with two glasses of wine , but is worthy. An excellent place for a date.
The only thing that I would change is that tables are really close between them, I heard easier the conversations of other couple than my own !

1  Thank jimenaguemez
Reviewed December 31, 2019 via mobile

We returned a year later on our trip from Ireland. Nearly to the day, and it’s exactly how we remember. Great service, brilliant buzz about the place, and the food. The food! Get the octopus skewers - amazing flavours and cooked to perfection. The baked cauliflower was great too. Ribs off the bone we’re so tender and tasty. Sprouts with chestnuts and pancetta was mouth watering. Couldn’t fault anything. Top marks folks. Keep up the good work @dishyouwerehere

1  Thank Ardsguymarty
Reviewed December 28, 2019

Our group of four loved this restaurant. We tried ten different plates each featuring a unique and inspired food option. Each one was delicious and spectacular. Really good wine list, but the markup on the wine prices is quite onerous.

Superlative service. The room in the back has a retractable roof for nice weather days, and when closed provides a quieter room for dining than the front room.

Recommended dining in Santa Monica! Go!

1  Thank Waterloonie
Reviewed December 23, 2019

I cannot believe I had not been here before. It’s been on my list for years and will remain. Everything we had was amazing. The oxtail dumplings came highly recommended but the cauliflower, crab cake, gnocchi, and Strawberry starting for desert were delicious as well! Can’t wait to visit again!

1  Thank LiliL41