“Over priced and crap food!!”
Review of Tar and Roses

Tar and Roses
Reserve with OpenTable
Tar and Roses is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 691 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: SE Corner of 6th Street
Description: Centered around a wood burning oven, Tar & Roses serves up farmers market dishes with global influences.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over priced and crap food!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We were there recently mainly due to the great reviews on trip advisor especially the reasonable food prices. I was extremely disappointed to read the wine list where average wine price was $50 plus. We ordered the Steak and Venison. Both dishes were crap. The steak had too much sauce and seasoning plus it was burnt on the outside. The Venison had no flavour of its own as the chef seemed to have thought that too much sauce and marinade for a meat like Venison is great. I and my wife had decided to share both dishes but were still hungry after eating the dishes. Considering they claim to be a fancy up market restaurant, they had 4 desserts 3 of which were ice-creams. For a $100 meal for 2 I thought it was an absolute waste of money. I would recommend anyone interested in dining in Santa Monica to re-consider their decision to visit this crap place!
However the good thing about this place was the service. The Host was warm and our waiter was great.

Portsmouth, RI
“Great spot, creative food, and knowledgeable, attentive staff.”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Superb service from Jeff and his busboy/back. My daughter had crab cakes which she LOVED. I and my other half ordered beef carparcio. SUPERB! The two of them ordered fettucine carbonara which they loved and I had the fish stewpot which was excellent. My daughter ordered the dessert they're know for and I had the Sticky Toffee pudding. She REALLY loved mine so we switched. I can't remember the hostesses name....I want to say Yanna, or something similar...but she was very attentive, friendly and pleasant. Valet parking right outside. Great spot with a very nice menu. Do give it a try!

• Visited January 2014
London
“Exceptionally good”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Ate here last night after finding a recommendation online and we weren't disappointed. All the food was absolutely delicious, as was the wine; excellent service too. It was great to find somewhere that didn't feel touristy and like a restaurant machine. Very special.

Highland Park, Illinois
“It was like we died and went to Foodie Heaven!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was one of the best restaurants we have been to...ever! Ambiance, food, wine, waiter and owner...we had a fabulous experience! Our server Jeff was terrific and he helped us work our way through the menu and came up with a great wine to go with our food.
Oxtail Dumpling truly a party in your mouth, and I have never used this expression before!
Octopus skewers only complaint was that we wanted more
Ricotta Gnocchi delightful, light and fluffy great lemon flavor.
Wood Roasted clams were smoky and the beans and sausage went so well with the dish. Had to ask for more grilled bread to soak up all the sauce. Owner brought the extra bread right away and was so gracious! Delightful to chat with!
Mushrooms and cauliflower rounded out our meal perfectly. The Cauliflower was some of the best I've ever had.
Strawberry crostata and a dessert were heavenly!
Wish we could go back!

Warwickshire
“Lived up to expectations”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Arrived in town late and booked at the last minute on trip adviser reviews.
A great ambience, splendid food and a laid back vibe.
Crab cake was 10/10 and would recommend.
My only tip is don't sit in the back room it's a little noisy, however we asked to be moved and our request was actioned with a smile.

Visited January 2014