New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Disappointed but Interesting” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tar and Roses

Tar and Roses
Reserve with OpenTable
Tar and Roses is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 659 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: SE Corner of 6th Street
Description: Centered around a wood burning oven, Tar & Roses serves up farmers market dishes with global influences.
NYC
“Disappointed but Interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

My daughter was so excited to go here and had made a reservation well in advance. Part of the problem was that we were two at dinner and I think this is better for a group.We arrived early and were told there were no tables so we had to wait for our reservation. The place is packed and people are constantly trying to get in. Several couples were turned away because they were over 15 minutes late for their reservation. I am not so sure this is an intelligent thing to do especially when the newness wears off. We were finally seated in the absolute back of the resaturant in a small room which was fine with me- away from the maddening cool crowd. Luckily the waiter was excellent and all was well in Siberia. This is one of those menus that requires work to decipher what you are going to get or if the cow is in the kitchen as we speak. The charcuterie was very good but not spectaculer. Also the most appetizing entries have to be ordered a week in advance so I advise doing this as it probably makes for a better experience.The whole cooked fish looked great but my daughter is not a fish eater so I ordered the seafood in a Thai sauce(shellfish pot). Here's the thing. I make this sauce at home, it is very easy and though the seafood was fresh, it was no big deal. Perhaps I did not order correctly, I just don't know. We were very quiet in the ride home and finally my daughter said, "I am so disappointed, I thought this was going to be great". My response, "Don't worry, I feel exactly the same way. " Disappointed.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank NC R

Malibu
“THE foodie restaurant here in ages!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

T&R truly owns its crown as the best foodie and fun restaurant in years. Pretenders to the throne have come and gone, but this is the real deal. Knowledgeable waiter, talented chef. No attitude, just a desire to share the best they can provide.

UK
“Thank you it saved the day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We arrived at the restaurant to be greeted by three ladies who bent over backwards to sit us earlier then we had booked. The decor was contemporary and warm even though we were in the garden open topped conservatory with heaters. The head manager was excellent he understood our desire for having smaller but tasty morsels to taste as opposed to having large plates of food we would never finish.

The ribs were to die for, the clams were excellent and overall the experience was fantastic.

Thank you to all the tar and roses team it was a great way to finish my holiday.

• Visited January 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“A must when in Santa Monica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant had a very unique menu with exceptional options. The whole fried red snapper was the best I have ever had and the selection of wines were perfect. The crispy pigs tail and sunchoke soup were delightful starters.
Staff were knowledgable and friendly.

3 Thank Cmara32
Paris
“Excellent neighgorhood bistro”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is a wonderful neighborhood bistro, with great neo-meditteranean comfort food with american and asian influences. The wine selection is excellent, and the small plates, in particular, are varied and compose an excellent personalized menu.

I add this 3 star review, because, although very good, this restaurant clearly isn't the "best in the world", or even "the best in LA" (at least I hope so), as many previous reviewers have claimed. It is a great option when you are in Santa Monica, but most definitively not a reason to travel there... It provides fresh, hearty and creative bistro food, as you can find in the better restaurants in cities all over the USA.

• Visited December 2012