“If I lived closer...I would be a regular here!”

SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa
Ranked #21 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: High end sushi. Has 4 locations.
Nashville, Tennessee
“If I lived closer...I would be a regular here!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently was at a meeting in Santa Monica and came here based on a recommendation from a colleague. I was concerned as it was Friday night and they do not take recommendations and are not listed on Open Table. There were 6 of us in our group and we got there just after 6 PM. We were seated immediately. The wait staff was very friendly and took good care of us. The sushi was probably the best I have had in years. Just outstanding! The fish just melted in your mouth and appeared to be exceptionally fresh. I was told this restaurant is "very expensive", but actually turned out to be reasonable.

The only regret I have is not living closer to this place as I would definitely be a regular here!

• Visited February 2013

Hermosa Beach, CA
“Fresh but nothing extraordinary !!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very Fresh fish , sometimes a little too cold , rice it is a mix , sometimes perfect and warm and sometimes very mushy .
The problem here is that they do not have a very creative menu, also they serve only what is in the menu , no substitutions and no asking for special dietary changes.
For example : I like the uni ( which by the way is really good ) with a little lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt , they don't have salt and sometimes they don't have lemon , what kind of place doesn't have salt ?????
Overall , it is a place that you get what they have in the menu and that is it , they could be more accommodating.

• Visited January 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Admittedly, I'm not the most adventurous sushi eater, BUT my fiance is very knowledgable and skilled at eating just about anything sushi. And we BOTH loved this place. I really loved just picking the lighter version of the menu option while my fiance picked the biggest option they had... I enjoyed all the items brought out and so did he. The fist was some of the freshest I've ever had (and we were just in Japan last year!).

The service was also good and we had a lovely time with our group of 5. I look forward to returning soon.

• Visited December 2012
San Jose, California
“One of the best sushi I have ever had”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very simple but delicious sushi. I have never before tried sushi with warm rice and this is totally unforgettable experience. A bit pricy, but for the quality of the food that they serve it is totally fine by me.

Good service and nice ambiance. Will definitely be back sometime.

• Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very very bad if you're a vegetarian.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place was much hyped but doesn't deliver if your a vegetarian. They only offer edemame and cucumber rolls. No special orders. The rice was wet, and the roll was large. The wasabi helped but...it was still a large, wet, cucumber roll.

I ordered with a big group on business, if you can, I'd try to steer clear. To be fair, everyone else gave the fresh fish high marks. But the vegetarian options were very disappointing.

• Visited November 2012