“Very very bad if you're a vegetarian.”

SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa
Ranked #19 of 699 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: High end sushi. Has 4 locations.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place was much hyped but doesn't deliver if your a vegetarian. They only offer edemame and cucumber rolls. No special orders. The rice was wet, and the roll was large. The wasabi helped but...it was still a large, wet, cucumber roll.

I ordered with a big group on business, if you can, I'd try to steer clear. To be fair, everyone else gave the fresh fish high marks. But the vegetarian options were very disappointing.

1  Thank Kipp7272

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We live in the area and I was willing to try this place out for some 8 months. But was always forgetting when the moment to choose a restaurant was coming or was just goin on with my husband's choices. So...
1. EdAmame was some 10 beans, was that a joke? Not even heated or salted. Order some 3 portions to enjoy for 2 people
2. The black sheet ( not sure how it is called) on the rolls was like a plastic so you chew and chew and chew
3. The waitress came to the table next to us and made the customer take the last piece of sushi from the plate as she wanted to take it out from the table. Are you in a hurry???
4. Oh and did I mention we waited some 20 minutes to come in? Which was not worth at all.

NOT RECOMMENDED at all :(

1  Thank LucySonyan
Reviewed December 20, 2012

this was an amazing sushi experience. Super fresh, and very delicious. The menu is very traditional, so don't expect any "Bento Boxes" or California Rolls", instead its the highest quality fish and rice. The best sushi I've ver had...

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Living in Los Angeles, there is soooo many choices in terms of food and a huge diversification.
Anything you can think of, is here.
With that in mind, there is a huge array of sushi choices. Everything from fast food japanese to ultra hype, ultra expensive, gold laced sushi..

Having been blessed to try many of those, I am particularly fond of Sugar Fish. I've tried the one in downtown, Santa Monica, and Studio City. I've never been disappointed at all. At about $40/person via "TRUST ME", the chef's selection of sushi and hand roll, and presentation is steal. The chef Nozawa, also known as the Nazi chef to some, is well known in LA, and his impeccable selection of FRESH fish can be seen in his sushi. If you are a sushi connoisseur, this place is a must. Although it's not the BEST in LA, for $40/person, it's BANG for the buck. We are talking QUALITY, not quantity. I've seen $150/person sushi places that is just slightly better than this place.

Do remember couple of things. They add mandatory 18% TIP to the price, so don't be surprised.

Conclusion : You will leave here happy and your wallet will still be fat.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just wondered into this restaurant while visiting the 3rd Street at Santa Monica Beach. We had lunch there. The Japanese Food here is really authentic and delicious. Service is good and the waiters are well trained. It is a bit pricey but, hey, you are eating in a high class restaurant at a tourist attraction. Overall, my wife and I were very happy that we came.