“Perfect Santa Monica Hotel”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Perfect Santa Monica Hotel”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Fantastic hotel if you're looking for a comfortable and nice hotel with all amenities near Santa Monica. You are a block away from the beach, a short walk from the Santa Monica pier, as well as the Third Street promenade that has all the shops you can hope for.

There is a 24-hour gym, bar lobby, pool, indoor/outdoor seating restaurant. The beds are very comfortable, the bathrooms are extremely clean and the TV has enough channels for everyone. The mini bar is well stock if you are ever in dire need.

I was here for business but I would definitely come back for personal travel. Can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: There are really no bad rooms in this hotel. It's fairly small and easy to travel around. Just...
Green Features: This hotel is very environmentally friendly and it shows.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Tara B
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Tara B,
Thank you so much for joining us a Viceroy and for sharing photos of your visit. Though you were traveling for business it's wonderful to see you had a chance to sneak down to the beach. I'm very pleased to learn what a great experience you had and that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities of the hotel. If you enjoyed yourself this much when you were working we can't wait to really wow you on your next visit for pleasure. Thank you again.

Matt Shough, Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We drove down to Santa Monica to stay at Viceroy after having stayed at The Beverly Hills Hotel. Upon arrival we didn't really feel wellcome. Front staff gave no information at all. Ocean View room very small. Pool area especially disappointing as pools were extremely small..
Would not recommend. We shortened our stay and went back to BHH.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mads R
Mads R,
There is nothing worse for us than to learn that one of our guests had a disappointing experience. I am very sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations during your visit. That you were not made to feel welcome upon arrival is indeed disappointing. I regret that we were unable to resolve this disappointment and therefore allow you to enjoy the remainder of your stay. I would consider it a privilege if I could have the opportunity to discuss your experience personally. You may contact me on my direct line of 310-260-7506. I hope to have this chance to learn more. Thank you for joining us.

Chandigarh, India
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The hotel definitely gives the 'trendy and hip' vibe as soon as you enter with a lot of stuff going on- champagne while you are being checked in , lots of mirrors and statues of greyhounds and things that can make your senses get overloaded!

We paid extra for a view of the beach which we got and it was nice. Considering we paid a pretty package, you would think maybe we would get a decent internet connection ? The free wifi doesn't work and when it works it is slower than the internet from the 90's. Considering that you can step out on the street and probably catch some free wifi which is faster, I find it ludicrous that such a high end hotel would make you pay $16 to get a decent connection.
There is no tea or coffee maker which is surprising , no dental kit unless you ask for one. The soaps and shampoos are in big bottles that remind you of the bottles that are chained to the walls in a hotel like an Ibis to make sure you don't run away with them. They have all sorts of high end soaps/shampoos and things for sale in the bathroom which you might mistake as part of the deal if you aren't careful .Kills the vibe of fancy , according to me.
The pool is teeny tiny and crowded most of the time. It's a close walk to the beach and to the Third Street Promenade where there are loads of shops and restaurants but I don't think the hotel is worth it. Way too pricy and stuck up. We had planned for two nights but luckily decided to stay only one.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
KismetJewellNakai,
Thank you for joining us. I am very sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your visit. The decor of the hotel is one of our trademarks though I regret to hear it wasn't to your liking. We do have fiber optic wireless internet through the building of which the basic entry speed is included in the room rate. We do offer an upgrade to this speed to allow for streaming. I am sorry however that you were not able to connect effectively. We aim to exceed our guests expectations and it is very unfortunate that this was not achieved during your visit. We appreciate the opportunity and thank you for your feedback.

Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I recently returned from another great stay at the Viceroy Santa Monica. I have stayed here numerous times for both work and vacation. The location is ideal as it is across the street from the beach. The pool area is wonderful but if I'm across the street from a beach...I'm heading to the beach every single day to get some sun or run/walk all the way to the Venice Beach boardwalk or north to Santa Monica State Beach and Will Rogers Beach!

I'm a big fan of Kelly Wearstler who designed the hotel. The space is modern but quirky and fun. The beds are by far some of the most comfortable that I've ever had the pleasure to catch some Zzzzzzz's in.... I have not dined at Cast but have ordered from room service. I thought the food was quite good. The concierge also has a list of restaurants in Santa Monica as well as elsewhere if you want to try LA's wide variety of food and restaurants of which there are many! If you're thinking of drinking at dinner, I'd suggest Uber or a taxi from the hotel. Cab fare isn't too bad if you're staying local or if you're going to Brentwood or Beverly Hills it's a little bit more but worth it to avoid a DUI. No one wants to spend vacation in jail.

The Cameo Bar is a great place to have a drink before you head out or enjoy happy hour. The cocktail menu has a wide variety of drinks with interesting ingredients. Definitely stop by the bar!

And last but not least...the staff at the Viceroy, in my opinion is one of the most friendliest that I've encountered in my many vacations. From the front desk, the valet, the bellman, the bartenders...everyone is very friendly and helpful. It's always a nice to be welcomed back to the Viceroy by a friendly and familiar face.

My one recommendation is to get a room that is a high floor if you're on the pool/city side. It does get quite noisy on the weekends from the crowd at the Cameo Bar. I had a partial ocean view room which overlooked Ocean Ave. With the sliding glass doors open, it can be a little noisy depending on the traffic.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a ocean or partial ocean view if you can. Or if you're on the pool/c...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Gatsby92,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Viceroy Santa Monica. This means the world to us and we appreciate it. It's fantastic to hear that you continue to enjoy yourself just as much each and every visit. The fact that the friendliness of the team and their recognition of you plays a big part in this is stellar. While we know there are many amazing restaurants throughout LA you've got to give Cast a try on your next visit. You won't be disappointed. Thanks also for the recommendations of room location and transportation tips for our other guests. We've got a signature cocktail chilling on the Cameo Bar for your return visit with us which we hope is soon. Thanks again.

Highland Park, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My teenage daughter booked the hotel online for a girls trip with my sister and her cousin. The hotel has a great location for access to the pier, shopping and getting around the area. However, it is for tourists. The highway is between the hotel and the beach and so it was not the peaceful I had hoped for.
The check in was good and the wine appreciated. While we enjoyed the fragrance on arrival, a few hours later it was overwhelming and gave us all a headache. The pool was quaint, small....and packed for the beautiful weekend. The vibe was very trending and modern - the rooms were well appointed and large. The shower in the suite was HUGE but the showerhead was disappointing trickle. The bathroom in the standard room had a tub and we loved it.
The amenities were more pricey than our stay at the Ritz.
Valet and manager were fantastic. I had an issue and it was quickly and properly resolved. Thank you.
In summary - great bathrooms, sufficiently large rooms - high priced amenities, too much fragrance, small pool, big highway.
I enjoyed our two night stay but would likely make another choice for our next trip.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have the view of the beach ..... but not worth it to me. The beach is past the busy hi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
tracy h,
It is fantastic that your daughter played travel agent and arranged a girls weekend for you. We appreciate that she chose Viceroy for this special trip. While it sounds like you were able to enjoy yourself it is disappointing that we didn't exceed your expectations. We are located on Ocean Ave however the beach is just across the street from us. One of the many perks of being in Santa Monica are the city's green initiatives however one of this includes water pressure control. While we recognize there are many choices of hotels in Santa Monica and LA we do hope you'll consider joining us again on your next visit. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Sacramento, CA
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I, along with our two young daughters stayed at the Viceroy for a week in early July. Overall our stay was very pleasant. The hotel is in a great location, 2 blocks from the beach and within walking distance to Venice Beach and Downtown Santa Monica. There are numerous excellent restaurant options in the area. The hotel restaurant, Cast, is a bit pricey but very good. We had breakfast and dinner there and both were enjoyable experiences. Another nice feature of the hotel is they have free bikes for loan and it was great to be able to take a ride along the beach. Service at the hotel is top notch. Probably the best we have ever experienced. Rooms were modern and very clean. Common areas of the hotel were cool and they even had a library where you could borrow a book. The only negative with the hotel is that it seems to cater to a younger, hipper demographic. The pool area was sometimes a bit like a party atmosphere, not always appropriate for young kids. Also, somebody was smoking in one of the rooms on our floor, filling the hallway with cigarette smoke. We complained to the front desk and they said they would send up security immediately but not sure what they did or could do. We could smell the smoke for a couple days. Even though there were a couple minor issues, we would still definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, stay on a higher floor, away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sacramento_CADave,
Our thanks to you, your wife, and daughters for allowing us to play host to you during your visit. We are happy to learn that overall you had a great time with us. It's great that you had the chance to visit Cast for a few meals and even got to explore our library. We regret that experienced issue with guests smoking as we are a 100% non smoking hotel and take this issue very seriously. Should anyone be found violating our policy we do charge $450. We appreciate you making us aware of this. We're very happy to know that even with this issue you all had a great stay and we appreciate the recommendation.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I chose the Viceroy based on reviews however I always stay at Casa del Mar. The hotel itself has a very cool vibe. Pool area is very quaint however very crowded due to the size of the pools. We didn't spend any time there due to this. Had we gotten up and reserved chairs Imsure we would have loved it.

The greatest part of the hotel were the 2 concierges that were most helpful to us. Sheri and Jeremy had great ideas for us (15 year old daughter and her friend) so that made up for my other minor complaints. Our rooms weren't cleaned until almost 5pm one day which was frustrating. Our room views were over a parking lot. If I stay here again I would pay more attention to the room location. Hotel location is good but definitely not on the beach. We used the hotel bikes to ride down to Venice beach so that was very convenient as well.

I read many reviews about the staff prior to our arrival but the only 2 that stood out were the concierges. The girls serving around the pool were less than friendly to say the least.

I

Stayed July 2014
Borisbec,
Thank you for venturing across the street to join us during this visit to Santa Monica. I am however very disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. While it is wonderful to hear what a great impression Sheri and Jeremy made on you and your daughter it is unfortunate you did not experience the same attention throughout the rest of the hotel. We do service the rooms daily between 9am and 5:30pm daily and are happy to service our guest's room should they request a specific time. We are never satisfied with a guest having a mediocre experience and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further should you wish to contact me at my direct line of 310-260-7506. Thank you for your feedback.