“Decadently fabulous place to stay”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Loved staying at the Viceroy in Santa Monica - tempted us to stay in the hotel instead of sightsee, it was so lovely! Everyone was very helpful and on the ball which helped make the stay that much better. Would love to have an excuse to stay here again soon!

Room Tip: We loved being able to see the ocean from our room. Was a little noisy on Saturday night but was fi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Christi S,

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional customer service and are glad to hear you agree. We hope to see you again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Viceroy Santa Monica

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our fourth or fifth visit to the Viceroy Santa Monica and nothing disappointed. The hotel was as glamorous as we remembered, the rooms extremely luxurious and the customer service truly exceptional. It’s not right on the beach, as Ocean Avenue cuts right in front of the hotel, but still provides pretty much instant access to the sea. You can also easily walk around Santa Monica and Venice from here, so no need to have a car every day, which I think is a bonus. If I had to pick some favourite moments they’d probably be sitting outside in the sunny garden eating breakfast and enjoying whisky sours in the bar in the early evening. All served by people who seem to really enjoy working at the Viceroy. On our final day the restaurant staff went out of their way to help me package up some gifts to take home, which was greatly appreciated. We don’t get to LA all that often (maybe every couple of years) but when we do return we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: It's worth paying more for an Ocean View room so you can wake up to a grand vista in the morning...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IdyllicTraveller

Dear IdyllicTraveller,

Thank you for your review! We sincerely appreciate your patronage to our property. We can't wait to welcome you back so you can experience our luxurious rooms and exceptional customer service.

See you soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was in Santa Monica for a raw foods master class and book the Viceroy hotel,
Hip & overcharge with detail modern rococo Immoderately elaborate to complicated for my eyes but I understand the need for a location like this my stay was great the staff very nice and helpful as you expect from a establishment like this would I go their again probably not as I prefer classic line and simple but a great experience no regret. You could see pictures on my blog http://www.maisoncote.blogspot.ca/2014/02/santa-monica-raw-food-class-at-matthew.html

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank maisoncote

Dear maisoncote,

Thank you for your comments and opinion about our hotel. We are happy to hear you had a great experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The hotel is a lovely boutique property with a very nice decor and funky vibe. I loved the pool area. When I arrived late Friday night there was a DJ playing loud music in the lobby bar. When I went to my 2nd floor room I heard nothing so the sound there is very good. The service was extremely attentive, helpful and friendly. I enjoyed the stay. The location is a little farther from the central shopping area and restaurants but all within an easy walk. It is on a busy street and you must cross the street and walk a block and a half to get to the beach. I paid a higher rate and booked a partial ocean view room. Save your money and don't bother because the way it was described on the website was not accurate. I had a second floor room and did not have an ocean view. I did nicely mention my disappointment in how it was described and the rate difference to the front desk and they were very apologetic and did make an adjustment to my rate. That told me a lot about the quality of their management. I had a plumbing problem in my sink for all three days but they did respond to it promptly once I called. Jack at the front desk was welcoming and sweet as was all the staff that went out of their way with great service. For the price, it would have been nice to be on the beach like some of the other properties but I liked the feel of the hotel versus the bigger chain properties.

Room Tip: Do not bother spending more on a partial or ocean view room. It is too far. Higher floor may be be...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear ellent1,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to hear you found our property to have great service. Your comments about Jack are well received and we can't want to have you back in the future!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Free champagne upon arrival, super cute reception/bar area when you walk in. Pool area was also chic- it was randomly cold the weekend we were there, but I would have loved to sit outside in one of the cabanas. They also offered free yoga by the pool at 10am on Sunday morning (we were out too late to enjoy, but I totally would have if I wasn't dead to the world).

Loved speaker system in room and decor. Small bathroom, but good use of space with vanity area for getting ready. Horrible water pressure, but other than that everything was great.

Tip- I wouldn't spend extra for a room with a view, you could see the ocean from our room, but you could also see the street below since the hotel is not ocean front.

Would definitely go back when staying in Santa Monica- highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Alexis M,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you found our property to have great decor and be in a great location. We hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We've globe-trotted annually for 20 years, stayed at at least 150 hotels and Viceroy will be our most memorable. Yes, the décor is cool but the service is unbelievable - the staff actually cares. Each member will bend over backwards for you and offer you the shirt off his (her) back. My wife was stricken with a kidney infection in Santa Monica and the amount of kindness and care she received was truly humbling. We stayed at Lowes for two nights prior and let me tell you, they really need to take a leaf out of Viceroy's Service and Operations Manual. We'll offer Viceroy praise all day long every day.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Mike M,

Thank for your review and kind words! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and in particular our service.

We hope to see you for many years to come!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

The decor is amazing but the service is the best! The rooms are very cool, comfortable beds, but the shower pressure is horrible. Apparently all Santa Monica hotels have low flow shower heads to conserve water. Oh well. We came from NYC to enjoy the view and splurged for a deluxe room on a high floor. It was "okay" - since the hotel is on the busy Ocean Ave, it was hard to enjoy the view with all the noise. There was also a lot of street construction that looks like it's going to go on for a long time. The sound of Jackhammers was a sound we were trying to avoid. We checked out 2 days early and headed up to Malibu. I would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a cool and chic hotel with a great vibe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DSMTravel91
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear DSMTravel91,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our vibe and service!

Come back soon!