“On the drag....so drag yourself by”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my first visit too the Viceroy for a 3 day Valentine's get-away. It's along Ocean Avenue adjacent to beaches and within walking distance of Venice Beach too. The staff are wonderfully helpful; I watched the concierge working his magic on patrons ranging from rides to dinner reservations and just about anything one could need. The open area in the back, replete with heated cabanas is welcoming and luxurious. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Valet parking is mandatory, so get your tip money to hand. The restaurant is average and I'd suggest going elsewhere for dining.

I like the feel of this place and the location can't be beat. As well, the staff is just simply marvelous and everybody should get a pay raise (pay attention owners). I understand renovations may be underway soon, so you may wish to check on that before booking. A genuinely nice visit.
Neal and Claudia

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puckerstoppled
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Neal and Claudia,
We are so happy to hear that your first visit to Viceroy was such a positive one. Thank you for choosing to spend your Valentine's Day with us. Also thank you for all of your kind words about our staff especially James our amazing concierge. Yes we are listening and couldn't agree with you more about our wonderful staff. We hope you can drag yourself by again soon.

There are newer reviews for Viceroy Santa Monica

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

First of all: I love the rooms. It is my 3rd or 4th stay at the hotel and always enjoyed it very much. The lobby, restaurant and garden are stylish and have a upper class chique. The atmosphere is cool and relaxed but not like in a regular luxus hotel. It is more like a bar, club, hipster kind of place.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Holger C
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Stashrock,
Thank you very much for your continued loyalty with us. We are thankful to have had the opportunity to welcome you back multiple times and pleased to hear you have had fantastic stays. I would consider it a privilege if you would ask for me personally next time you join us to discuss how we may bring added value to your future stays. I look forward to this discussion. Thank you again.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This year my company hosted their annual Managing Directors meeting in Los Angeles. By popular demand, I started my location search in Santa Monica. I was aware of the Viceroy Hotel from its nightlife, but was unaware of the meeting space that is available. I decided to attempt a site visit as a possibility to accommodate a 25 person meeting. My initial consultation with Karen Daily was great. She answered all of my questions and provided me with all of the information and suggestions that I would need to plan this meeting. After visiting several other hotels in the area, I finally decided on the Viceroy Hotel for our location. After setting up the contract, I was then transferred to Maribel Perez. She assisted be the entire way through my planning process. She was very understanding and very flexible with all of the last minute changes I unfortunately had to make.

While the meeting was in process all staff members were excellent. They were prompt at assisting us with any issues or any small details that had slipped through the cracks in the planning process. The meeting space was perfect for what we needed, the food was delicious, and the rooms had amazing views. Every Managing Director thanked me for putting together such a seamless event. I could not have made this even run so smoothly if it had not been for the help and support of all of the Viceroy staff, especially Maribel and Karen.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jessica J
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Jessica J,
Thank you very much for sharing the success of your event. Thank you also for taking the time to highlight our catering and events teams. We often hear on Trip Advisor about the wonderful hotel experience guests have but not so often about our events. We couldn't be happier to hear what a wonderful and successful event you had. Karen and Maribel are superstars and we appreciate you taking the time to recognize them. We look forward to the opportunity to have many more events with you in the future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed there over Christmas. Was nice hotel, great location, nice rooms but a bit crowded. had an overall feeling of being pretensions. We didn't want to pay $40 for valet parking and asked about street parking. The staff was not forthcoming about the availability while in fact there was street parking right in front of the hotel. Otherwise, was fine.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank naomi_steinberger

naomi_steinberger,
Thank you for choosing to spend the holiday season with us. We are disappointed to hear that you didn't feel the joy but glad to hear you had a good stay overall. Our staff is reluctant to recommend street parking due to the strict enforcement of permit, tow and metered areas by the Santa Monica Police. We thank you though for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I loved my 4 days at this oasis by the sea. As someone who travels alone frequently for work, I find it tough to find hotels that have a non-stuffy approach to mixing business and pleasure, especially for the younger crowd. There's so much personality at this spot that you really feel like you are taking advantage of the location, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. It's also an easy stay sans car, which I feel is somewhat rare for the area. There's walkable entertainment in every direction, but I also found sticking around the hotel to be equally fun. A final plus - they let me check in at 10am, which saved me half a day of wandering with no home base.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ch w

ch w,
Thank you for such a glowing review. Oasis by the sea, we really like that one. You definitely got the full Viceroy Experience and nothing gives us more joy. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what a great experience you had. Look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Viceroy in Santa Monica is a nice, stylish hotel about 1 block from the beach. The rooms are of a nice size & decorated in a fun sort of '60's modern way. The bathroom is nicely decorated with marble tile but has a sliding door that doesn't quite close (just as word of warning if sharing the room with friends!). The hotel is on a busy street so there is some street noise- if you get a room that is not ocean-facing, be warned that rooms on the odd numbered side if they are not looking out over the pool, they will be looking over a parking lot where the hotel seems to do repairs (we were in room 525) and you can hear noise from the repair area. The hotel staff is very friendly, the beach is a block walk away, there is coffee/pastries every morning & the cleaning staff does a great job with the rooms. Overall enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have less street/parking lot noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachel a

rachael a,
So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I imagine the beach sounds really good to you right now as cold as it is in NYC. We appreciate the feedback you provided and will look into the source of the repair work being done. We certainly hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed with our 2 children aged 11 & 9 in adjoining ocean-front rooms. The room setup was comfortable and setup worked well. From the moment we checked in, we were treated to exceptional service from all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and they had great local knowledge for restaurants , sightseeing & tips for commuting around LA. The decor of the hotel was funky and the outdoor pool area was gorgeous. The hotel had a lovely downstairs bar to enjoy a cool drink at the end of a busy day.
The location was perfect for walking to the pier or shopping precinct.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and would consider staying here again if we chose Santa Monica. Thank you!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jacinta G

Jacinta G,
We are delighted to hear that the family had such a wonderful time. Your kind words about the service your experienced mean so much to us. We definitely look forward to welcoming you all back soon.