“Terrible service, outdated and feels cheap all over”

Viceroy Santa Monica
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights including NY's eve. My husband booked it for our anniversary. What a big mistake. Upon our arrival we had a very cold welcome from the receptionist at front desk - she didn't acknowledge it was an anniversary booking. The room we checked into reeked of cigarette smell (great for a non-smoking hotel) so we asked that we change rooms and they moved us to another that was right next the staircase, which was busy with people in and out, so all you can hear all night and morning is loud door banging .

Where to begin, no welcoming card in the room wishing us a happy anniversary/pleasant stay. No coffee machine, all fixtures in the room were very cheap and nasty. Simple things like toilet paper felt like nasty public toilet rough quality thin paper. The bath faucet constantly dripped, the shower-head sprayed everywhere but on you! The bathroom was dark, and tiny - paint bubbles in the ceiling. The linen on the bed was rough to the touch and cheap. House keeping will not change the sheets throughout your entire stay unless you contact them and ask them to do so.

Furniture is all cheap and nasty and beaten up. The cupboards won't close properly. No complimentary wi-fi throughout the whole hotel. They have two laptops in the library/reception area that you can try and fight other guests to use to access the internet. Hilarious, never seen anything that cheap in my life.

Did I mention the extremely loud air-conditioning that wouldn't heat? It made gurgling sounds so loud , you cannot sleep through this unless you like your white noise. We had to turn it off to hear each other talk.

The hotel's outdoor nightclub played deafening loud music until 1.30AM in the morning, and there was vomit in the hallway on our level - a lovely surprise to walk to at lunch time!!! How can you leave vomit in a shared area that long?

We couldn't wait to check out after our stay. We called the guest services/receptionist to ask them for help bringing down our luggage for checkout, and surprise surprise 35 minutes later we are sitting in our car with the trunk open and bags are a no show. Talked to the bellman about it, and he apologized and asked if we had personally asked front desk for the bags to be brought down or just made a call, and when we mentioned it was over a phone call he was not surprised. This obviously happens all the time.

At check out time , the receptionist didn't even ask us how our stay was or if we enjoyed ourselves. Didn't care and just handed over the valet parking bill.

We paid top dollar for this place - over $1000 USD - and got the worst experience for a hotel in this class ever.

Never will we come back here again. Pick the four seasons!

Room Tip: Seriously, don't waste your time and book. Go anywhere else but here. Terrible place.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mckiwis
laboy70, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I will admit that New Year's Eve is a particulary hard holiday for us to be 100% on our game. With so many moving parts, a full hotel and a huge annual New Year's party, the hotel and out team do get pushed to the limits.

I can make no excuse for overlooking your special day with us. Unforgiveable.

I do hope you let our team know about the room deficiencies as we do not tolerate rooms to look run down to the extent you spoke of.

Regarding the coffee machines, we do not really have space to have them in the bathroom and do not feel the quality of the those types of machines is on brand with our hotel so instead we offer fresh brewed coffee in the lobby every day,

Thank you for at least giving us a try.

Happy Belated Anniversary.
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,618)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Booked & stayed here in December 2012.

Service is exceptional. Friendly, professional, knowledgeable in re: the local area.

Room was above average. Quiet. Busy street outside but the double-paned windows kill the traffic noise. Bathroom is huge. King bed was very comfortable. Lighting is excellent. Housekeeping is very good . Room was spotless upon arrival. Minibar is, of course, outrageously expensive. Bathrobes & slippers x2 are provided. TV is flat screen mounted on wall swivel above desk. Recommend that you request a high floor for the view of the ocean & the higher you go, the less noise from the street will follow you. BTW, if you're on a lower floor your view will be of other buildings.

Food was average to bland. Rom service still working out its kinks, perhaps? Our order arrived sans one entree, as well as missing other items, & without basics such as salt & pepper. Seemed sloppy & rushed in terms of what we received. Based on the lack of taste of our food, we decided to forego the Viceroy restaurant & we ate elsewhere.

Bar was great. Mixologists were excellent, friendly, professional.

Hotel is dog-friendly. Street parking isn't ok overnight in Santa Monica so you are forced to valet your car at $35.00 per day & the Viceroy does not allow you to self-park. Beach is a 5-minute walk from Viceroy. Elevators are prompt. Weekend scene is see & be seen scene on Saturday nights. But, it is off the main area, out near the pool, so it is not smothering if you just want to chill at the bar or walk through the lobby to your room.

Several excellent local restaurants in walking distance. Superb wine / beer shop on Main Street about 4 blocks away. The Med restaurant across from the Viceroy has decent food & is BYOB.

I'd recommend the Viceroy & I'd stay there again when in Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the ocean views & less noise than rooms on lower floors.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank fawlcon

Thank you for the comprehenisve review!

We appreciate all the thought you put into the review. I beleive we were able to make adjustments to your bill regarding the room service food. If not please contact me and we can address ASAP.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at the Viceroy on a quick business trip. Upon check-in, we were offered a glass of champaigne. Their bartending staff graciously allowed us to meet in their "library" to have a business meeting and served us dinner with very attentive service --even though we were not near their stations. I left the hotel at 5:30 a.m. for an early flight back to Dallas and realized upon arrival at DFW that I did not have my favorite ring. I quickly called the hotel, explained the situation and had a response within 30 minutes that they had found the ring and would FedEx it to my home. I thought I would never see it again! I would highly recommend this hotel for the quality experience, food and exceptional service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rhonda M

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with other TripAdvisor readers. I am so thrilled we were able to give you a happy conclusion to your story.

Please come stay with us again.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was going to Santa Monica business/pleasure ... Decided to stay at Viceroy... I specially asked prior to making reservation if wireless available and if a extra charge ... When I arrived I could not get a signal on my iPad or laptop. Everybody was nice and accommodating but to no avail.. I believe they are working on their issues with the Internet . I had to use my smartphone and had a lot of business to take care of and it was very frustrating ...
Nice boutique hotel and I hope they can resolve for business people who need the net. .

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Nissanron
laboy70, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. I know we tried everything to get your computer to work on our network even giving a hotspot but we believe there was a firewall that prevented your computer from connecting via your provider as we tested with all of our computers and devices and did not have connectivity issues. I am very sorry for your inconvenience and I am assured you were compensated for your troubles.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I really love the decor of this hotel...bright and white...upscale but comfy and relaxing too. Great area...only a couple of blocks from the beach and only a few blocks either direction to shopping and restaurants. Nice as I do not like having to get in my car to go everywhere...here you can walk to almost everything... Best was the treatment upon arrival..I had done some research to find the best deal then called the hotel to ask if they could beat or match the other deals... they did and included the parking fee and wireless internet! We were greeted with glasses of champagne which was very much appreciated after our 3 hour drive. Our room was over the pool facing east, not an ocean view, but I was needing a good deal and always wanted to stay at this hotel. We were upgraded and were on the 6th floor which was nice enough...enjoyed the bar...still enough people to make it fun even though it was a Monday night. Room was clean, beds comfortable ..white down pillows, comforter...very nice...marble bathrooms...bright...
Highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for finally staying with us!! I am happy to hear that we worked into your budget and all was to your satisfaction!!

Have a great New Year and see you back here soon!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at Viceroy on friend's recommendation. Had trouble finding it at first and unimpressive on outside but inside decor is amazing! Lovely room with ocean view(in far distance and noisy road below) but very clean and comfortable. Hotel restaurant was fantastic! Charge for car each night was $35 which seemed a lot. Santa Monica is a good place to stay to see LA if you have a car. Venice Beach and Abbot Kenny St.nearby was great for shops and restaurants. Traffic and smog were bad but a car gives you chance to see so much. Rodeo Dve, Hollywood, Malibu were all interesting and different.

Room Tip: Don't know that ocean view room was worth it as ocean is far away and traffic can be noisy on ro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Molly255072

Thank you for the feedback!

We actually call that "Marine Layer" these days... :)

Have a great New Year and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

the hotel is cool, the rooms are nice, but the service is OUTSTANDING! the Concierge service is top notch (thank you James!) the text availability is great for working people on the go and the personal attention is amazing. so we'll done. even the text to get the car out of valet is such a great detail. love it.

• Stayed: December 2012
laboy70, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you so much for singling out James. He is a great asset to the hotel! We started doing the text about a year ago and have really seen an increaase in the cutomer engagement!

We hope to see you again soon!

Hotel Manager
PS I would have sent this by text but I didnt have your number! :)