We stayed here for a couple of nights including NY's eve. My husband booked it for our anniversary. What a big mistake. Upon our arrival we had a very cold welcome from the receptionist at front desk - she didn't acknowledge it was an anniversary booking. The room we checked into reeked of cigarette smell (great for a non-smoking hotel) so we asked that we change rooms and they moved us to another that was right next the staircase, which was busy with people in and out, so all you can hear all night and morning is loud door banging .
Where to begin, no welcoming card in the room wishing us a happy anniversary/pleasant stay. No coffee machine, all fixtures in the room were very cheap and nasty. Simple things like toilet paper felt like nasty public toilet rough quality thin paper. The bath faucet constantly dripped, the shower-head sprayed everywhere but on you! The bathroom was dark, and tiny - paint bubbles in the ceiling. The linen on the bed was rough to the touch and cheap. House keeping will not change the sheets throughout your entire stay unless you contact them and ask them to do so.
Furniture is all cheap and nasty and beaten up. The cupboards won't close properly. No complimentary wi-fi throughout the whole hotel. They have two laptops in the library/reception area that you can try and fight other guests to use to access the internet. Hilarious, never seen anything that cheap in my life.
Did I mention the extremely loud air-conditioning that wouldn't heat? It made gurgling sounds so loud , you cannot sleep through this unless you like your white noise. We had to turn it off to hear each other talk.
The hotel's outdoor nightclub played deafening loud music until 1.30AM in the morning, and there was vomit in the hallway on our level - a lovely surprise to walk to at lunch time!!! How can you leave vomit in a shared area that long?
We couldn't wait to check out after our stay. We called the guest services/receptionist to ask them for help bringing down our luggage for checkout, and surprise surprise 35 minutes later we are sitting in our car with the trunk open and bags are a no show. Talked to the bellman about it, and he apologized and asked if we had personally asked front desk for the bags to be brought down or just made a call, and when we mentioned it was over a phone call he was not surprised. This obviously happens all the time.
At check out time , the receptionist didn't even ask us how our stay was or if we enjoyed ourselves. Didn't care and just handed over the valet parking bill.
We paid top dollar for this place - over $1000 USD - and got the worst experience for a hotel in this class ever.
Never will we come back here again. Pick the four seasons!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An urban retreat at the shore - British impressions- with bold current perspectives. Business friendly- yet vacation ready- and just steps from the Santa Monica pier- beaches- shopping- dinning and nightlife. Each of the 162 guestrooms and suites offer ocean- pool- or palm views. Mascioni linens and bathrobes- custom beds with down comforters and pillows. Body and hair care products Aromatherapy Associates. In room spa services available- marble baths with seated vanities and soaking tubs- sitting areas- and fully stocked mini bars. In room entertainment centers feature 40 in flat screen tv- full cable access and movies- music- and video games- high-speed wireless Internet access- two-line telephones with speaker and private voicemail as well as media hubs. And dataports for modem/fax hookup - Viceroy also offers video check-out with e-mail reciept. A complete fitness center- 2 outdoor heated pools with private cabanas. Cameo bar- reunion dining at Cast- 24-hour room service- dry cleaning and laundry service- full-service concierge- choice of daily newspaper- and a 1300 sq foot meeting room with private patio overlooking the pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Viceroy Santa Monica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Santa Monica Hotel Santa Monica
- Viceroy Hotel Santa Monica