“skimpy main dishes”

Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California
“skimpy main dishes”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

For the price, the Egg & Grits are skimpy.Grits are too runny. Pizza is good. Small place, long wait. Eating at the counter feels rushed.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank marino c

Topanga, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful Dining, Amazing Garlic Knots”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I'll start with the only problem at Milo & Olive - getting a seat and keeping it. Once you do that, everything else is wonderful. The communal seating and lack of seating is frustrating. However, I just decide not to worry about it and sit when I sit and leave when I leave and all is good.

The waitstaff is friendly and knowledgeable. The pizzas are delicious and the seasonal greens are treats as well. I would come just for the garlic knot which is exceptional. Amazing wine. Love the whole experience. Come as a couple or occupy a whole table and spend the evening. Love it!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank SalGot
New York City, New York
“must get the pizza”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

pizza ranks up there as some of the best i've ever had (including vs. many new york city spots). very cool vibe with wide open (and immaculate) kitchen. great friendly service -- even chefs/pizza makers behind the counter in the kitchen will chat you up. would definitely go back when i visit LA again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Tate M
Los Angeles, California
“The emphasis is on the olive!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I enjoy their salads. Yes, the menu is pricey, but not prohibitive. The place is absurdly noisy and crowded. Try their off hours (2:30 - 4:00pm) when there are fewer diners. If management turned down the volume on the music, I would be thrilled. But that's not likely to happen. The servers are young, friendly and helpful. The majority of their diners appear to be between 25-35 years old and love loud music and noisy restaurants. Not me.
Known primarily for their designer pizzas and farm fresh produce, my only complaint is everything I ordered was drowned in olive oil. Next time, I must remember to request "go easy on the oils ad dressings".

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank cuppajoe2
Los Angeles
“My current favorite bakery and pizza!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have eaten at Milo and Olive about 5 times. The food is always excellent.

Interior
Communal seating at two large marble-topped tables or at the bar overlooking the kitchen area. High ceilings, interesting arrangement of art on the wall.

Wait
No reservations so you have to wait for a space. The bigger your party, the longer you are likely to wait. There is a standing area with a little ledge so you can have a drink (I think only soft drinks and coffee) and a snack while you wait.

Young, friendly, enthusiastic, and prompt.

Parking
Good luck finding a metered spot on the street. There are a few tight spaces in the back.

Bakery
I love the walnut sticky buns! I don't even like walnuts but these are fabulous. I always buy a few to take home but buy early, sometimes they run out. The cured meat sandwich is great, salami and other sliced meat with a pickled relish. The corn cake with cream cheese frosting and fruit is also terrific - sweet and dense.

My favorite salad is the beet with goat cheese. It is seasonal so wasn't on the menu when I was there last week. We usually get pizza. The mushroom pizza is good but there is a bit of garlic. The pizza with prosciutto, arugula, and burrata is my favorite - the tomato sauce is freshly made and tastes like it only has tomatoes in it; they do not ruin the beautiful flavor of the tomato with garlic. The crust makes their pizza, wonderful flavor and the right amount of crunch and chewiness.

On our most recent visit, my daughter and I each ordered a pizza (they box the leftovers nicely) and we took home, 3 walnut buns, a slice of plum cream tart (just out of the oven and still warm), and a cured meat sandwich. The total for all was $70. The bakery items are a little on the expensive side.

• Visited August 2012