“extended stay at The Ambrose”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado
“extended stay at The Ambrose”
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed 8 nights at The Ambrose Hotel in Santa Monica from June 10 - June 18, 2006 for a combination work and vacation stay. After a few of the reviews about the noise, etc. I was very cautious. But upon our arrival we were pleasantly surprised with a room upgrade. The room was average American hotel room size with a larger bathroom and a balcony. We were in a corner unit on the third floor facing Arizona Street. I was worried that I would hear the sirens from the hospital which is down one block along Arizona, but I only heard them once. We found that in the evening the city noise would quiet down and then begin again around 6 AM. But the hotel was well insulated from the outside so that if you kept your patio door closed, it was very quiet at night. The hotel is still very new and the rooms were pleasant in decor, but because they have dark trim, some areas of the room are scuffed.

The parking below the hotel is excellent and it is so nice that it is included in the room.

The workout room is small, but has nice equipment.

The breakfast consisted of fruit (often a huge bowl of strawberries and raspberries), many types of breads & muffins, yogurt, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, and tea. The seating for breakfast is in the lounge which can be a little awkward, but we spent most mornings outside the lounge on the porch facing the koi pond. The quantity of food was large and if you didn't wait until right before breakfast closed, there was a lot of variety. I was pleased with the quality and the selection.

The hotel personnel were cordial and gave recommendations for restaurants etc. I would not say they were over friendly, but they were business-like and never gruff.

The location of the hotel is about 20 city blocks from the ocean, but they have a shuttle to take you down there or there is parking along the beach.

It was very nice to have a hotel in Los Angeles that included parking and a decent breakfast. The location makes it easy to access freeways and also do sightseeing. I was pleased and would return again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank rebecca73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed June 25, 2006

Nice, clean rooms. Quiet. Adequate parking underground. Excellent continental breakfast.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2006

The Ambrose is an oasis of calm in the chaos of Los Angeles. My husband and I arrived there after a 6 hour drive from Yosemite and were not at all disappointed. The hotel is done out beautifully in dark wood which only enhances its relaxed vibe. The reception staff were friendly and suggested places to go for lunch and dinner.

The room was a decent size and had a good bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and the bed linen was luxurious. Breakfast each morning was just great - everything from scones, pannetone, toast, cereal, fruit and english muffins with organic tea and coffee.

The location was great - far enough away from the noise of Santa Monica but close enough to Wilshire Blvd and Montana Blvd to not feel too far away from the fun. It was a 20 minute walk to the ocean front (I wouldn't recommend walking down Arizona or Santa Monica Blvd's from here as they are both a little dull).

My only gripe about The Ambrose is that if you are a light sleeper as I am, the noise of other people flushing toilets and closing their room doors might jolt you from sleep occasionally.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 16, 2006

My then-fiance and I stayed here right before Memorial Day weekend in May, 2006, while looking for apartments in Santa Monica. We loved everything about this hotel and can't say enough good things about it. We arrived early, between 11:00 am and noon, and while our room wasn't ready for check-in until 3pm, we were offered bottled water and given several recommendations for lunch places. When we checked in that afternoon we were told that we had been upgraded to one of their studio rooms with a balcony. While the rooms aren't huge, we felt they were perfect for what they were. The outdoor patio was lovely and comfortable; the linens were heavenly, and the room appointments were perfect - aesthetically pleasing and left you feeling pampered, including the Aveda bath products. The breakfast buffet was wonderful - fantastic fruits, pastry, Starbucks coffee, and whole-grain cereals. Also, we loved the location -- it felt central to everything (we walked to dinner on Montana one night, to the beach the next night), but it still felt slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of Santa Monica. The staff was always incredibly friendly, helpful and courteous, as well as very knowledgeable about the area. We loved this hotel, and have recommended it to all our friends and family.

10 Thank natbel
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed June 3, 2006

After reading all the great reviews I decided to stay at this hotel for 3 nights. I got a room with two beds on the 3rd floor, I think it was room 321. The biggest problem with this hotel was the smell, from the moment you get off the elevator and walk onto the 3rd floor you can't stop smelling it, I would say that it smells like a mixture of wet dog and urine. The smell was not as bad during the early hours of the day, but was very bad at night. I'm not sure what was causing this smell, but it really ruined my experience at this hotel.
I'm not very picky when it comes to places to stay, the hotel was beautiful. The room looked great, though it would have been nice if there was more lights in the room. I enjoyed the large bathroom. One thing I don't like is when a hotel puts in a mini fridge only to sell you things, I would have liked to have a fridge to hold food in, I'm not really interested in paying $6 for a bottle of water. The room service was very expensive, which I expect at most hotels, but taking we got to the hotel late at nice we decided to order some food, my main problem was that the person who brought us our food gave us a bad look when we tipped him, as if to say we did not tip him very much, we gave him $5, then come to find that they charged us $5 to tip him on our bill, I just found this to be very rude.
The breakfast was okay, starbucks coffee and small things to eat, I guess I just felt a little spoiled a few days before when we stayed at the Casa Laguna for the same price in Laguna Beach and had a chef make us food. The wireless internet is pretty much worthless on the third floor, there is an access point on the floor but it is too weak to connect to, you will have to use an ethernet cord and connect to an outlet. But free slow internet is better than no internet at all.
I really enjoyed the free parking, which is under the hotel is locked up at night, you use your room key to gain access past a certian time. I also enjoyed that the hotel was only a few minutes drive from the beach and just down the street from the interstate, so if you want to go anywhere in the city it doesn't take very long to get back. I'm not a person who likes to complain, the hotel has a great look and the rooms are large, I would just think that for spending $185 a night they would do more to clean the hallways and keep everything smelling fresh and provide friendly service. Also we did have a ton of noise coming from the street, even from the 3rd floor you can hear people from the street.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank Astroph
Reviewed June 1, 2006

It is my first time to stay in the Ambrose Hotel by mid-May and I would say it is one of the best hotels in LA. Why? New, tidy, safe, refreshing, super natural Asian decoration, Aveda bath products, free Starbucks continental breakfast, parking and internet service, only few mins driving to Santa Monica Beach+3rd street. We have never experienced such incredible service before and the price is so reasonable in Santa Monica area. All above comments is true and I would like to say thank you to the boss and staffs of Ambrose Hotel with my sincere and I guess the boss of Ambrose Hotel is good in Fengshui.
- A lady from Hong Kong in May 2006

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bay Area
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I love The Ambrose Hotel and stay there whenever I have to travel to the LA area. I travel frequently for business and pleasure, and this is simply one of my favorite hotels in the US. It is located in a residential section of Santa Monica, so a car is a must. What I love most? The quality of the amenities: Frette linens on the beds, Aveda products in the bathrooms, the beautiful Asian-inspired decor, and the soothing cream and dark wood colors in the rooms. And I love the honor bar, with the unusual herbal elixirs and exotic chocolates. This isn't your local Marriott--the Ambrose tries to provide a distinctly upscale California experience in a private setting. I try to get a corner room (232?) with the balcony when I check in. I've noticed that if I check in late (after 7 pm) I am more likely to get a premier room. This is a small, intimate hotel. I've never heard other patrons while staying there--it's been peaceful and quiet--and I've stayed there dozens of times The breakfast area ("living room") is more like a sitting room than a hotel restaurant. It's designed to mimic the way many folks eat a continental breakfast--reading the paper while sitting in a comfortable arm chair or sofa. The living room area is less crowded early in the morning, I've found. I usually visit a local restaurant or go to a grocery store for dinner rather than order room service--it's the one thing that I don't particularly like about the Ambrose (the selections are mostly sandwiches and salads, fine for lunch, but I'd rather have a more substantial dinner). Parking is underground and free, and the staff is young and pleasant. There aren't a lot of staff on site--the same person who checks you in is also likely to be your room service waiter--but they are always attentive and helpful. If you like a quiet hotel with high quality but simple amenities, consider the Ambrose.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business