“Function with style”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
“Function with style”
Reviewed March 12, 2005

It was necessary to stay at a Los Angeles hotel at the beginning and the end of an eight day holiday through California so based on the reviews that I read here, I thought about taking a chance on the Ambrose. I am glad that I did. It was easy to find and decently priced. There was free underground parking and the location was in a residential area with a 24 hour Walgreens across the street if you needed supplies of any sort (bottles of water or late night candy bars).

The decor was understated and comfortable. There is a grassy garden (see first two photos) when you enter the property with a few chairs and benches outside. The artwork is from local artists (I think?) and the Asian touches in the rooms (see last photo of bedside table) and hallways were a nice addition to the overall theme.

I will begin with the perks that we enjoyed: free high speed Internet (wireless and wired - they even provided you with a free ethernet cable if you did not travel with one), cable television with DVD player, Aveda bath products, Frette linens/towels, robes, comfortable bed with lovely pillows, free parking as I mentioned above and yes, hardwood floors in part of the hotel room. There was free breakfast but due to sleeping in late, we did not have the chance to enjoy any of it. We DID take advantage of the free taxi service from the hotel (small radius but if you are going down to 3rd St. Promenade, you are covered until the cut-off time of 23:00 for pick-ups).

Negatives: not many. The only thing that I could comment on is that the staff needs a bit more polish. For the most part, the staff was pleasant albeit unschooled in whether or not area restaurants were good or not. If the staff gets more professional, I believe this hotel has a good chance to be excellent in our books.

Despite my tiny complaint, we will probably stay there again to see what a second visit merits. Finding a reasonable place that you want to stay again and again is rare indeed. I hope this property can be that place since we visit L.A. with great frequency and have yet to find a place that we absolutely love!

• Stayed March 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Las Vegas
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Due to my business I have to stay frequently in hotels. As such I have become quite picky. I LOVED THE AMBROSE! The room was clean (which I inspect first upon arriving at a hotel). Room service was great, quick and the food was good. I loved the nut bread they served in the morning for breakfast. I have stayed at The Ambrose now 4 times and will come again!

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
12 Thank LasVegasTini
Reviewed March 2, 2005

After noting a couple of travelers mentioned getting bumped by the Ambrose's over booking policy, I made sure to call them directly after reserving a room for a one night business trip. I called them the day before and the afternoon of the check-in day. After being assured there was no problem, I arrived about 10PM and the front desk person walked out from the back with a voucher for another hotel...they indeed were overbooked!
They paid for a room at the Georgian, where upon check-in I was told this is not a rare occurrence at the Ambrose. This formula may work for them, and their feng shui property, but these guys need a course in remedial management 101.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2005

We stayed here once about a year ago and had a good experience. We were looking forward to a return visit. Unfortunately, this visit turned out to be mixed and somewhat disappointing.

After some confusion and 3 staff members waiting on us (it appeared no one wanted to deal with what we soon learned to be was another overbooking incident), the hotel checked us into a room that had a guy already sleeping in it (if that guy is reading this review, we're terribly sorry, but we didn't know that the room was already occupied).

We returned to the front desk, and were told they only had one small room left (dark, narrow and two double beds) and that that "there are no rooms left, we're overbooked, we're a small hotel, I'm sure you understand." Even though we had reserved and expected a premium room, we relunctantly took the lesser room because we could not waste time looking for another hotel. The hotel expressed no interest in making us alternate accomodation arrangements even after our inquiry. We expressed our disappointment and thought that was it. That night, after coming back from dinner, the same check-in person saw us and told us that an upgraded room was available and we moved into it. They also delivered a bottle of wine and fruit tray to the room (nice touch).

The room was clean. Comfortable bed. Large deck. Bad bathroom lighting. Noisy hotel. Thin walls. We could hear our neighbors and plumbing. Also, many medical facilities are in the area, so sirens are not infrequent. Convenient parking and location. Excellent breakfast! A friendly staff. However, the hotel seemed short-staffed as common areas could have been tidier (e.g., coffee cart left unattended directly in front of lobby elevator door, garbage by garage door entrances).

Reviewed February 17, 2005

The Ambrose is a jewel of a hotel that gets everything right! The setting is serene, the amenities are generous and the staff is suberb. It is one of the few places that understands the experience is in the details and all of the elements from the lucky bamboo to the Aveda toiletries and the pocket door for the iron have been thought through.

The hotel is also a bargian with its free parking and continental breakfast featuring scones from a local bakery are top notch and great fresh fruit every morning.

My only hesitation in writing this review is that more people will discover the hotel and I will not be able to get a room.

The Ambrose is a one of a kind experience that everyone needs to try!

Reviewed February 3, 2005

I can't out my finger on what it is about this hotel which is very very good in many ways but just doesn't merit 5 out of 5,

We found much of it hard to fault. Our room was very nice, if not very big. The decor was modern and relaxing and everything was spotlessly clean. We had no major problems with noise, though movement could be heard around and about.

I suppose the hotel lacks all the facilities of other hotels in this price range category. I appreciate they are targetting a different market to the typical Santa Monica hotel but this is essentially a boutique hotel.

The garden etc are simply refuges for smokers and the lounge area near reception, while pleasant, doesn't make you long to hang around.

Having said all that, service was professional and friendly, the location was good, though a very long walk to the beach area, and parking etc was good.

I just expected more from the reviews - however if you're seeking a place to sleep in a reasonable location with parking and a bit of style - by all means choose the Ambrose !

Next time, I'll be staying closer to the Santa monica beach and related attractions.

• Stayed June 2004
London UK
Reviewed February 1, 2005

We had a 15 hour journey from Europe and looked forward to revisiting Santa Monica, the bolt-hole near LAX that is so sympatico these days. I've tried half a dozen different hotels here and the Ambrose, for two nights Jan 20 and 21 Jan 2005, was a great pleasure. The broadband cable actually worked instantly to by Mac laptop. The bed was firm. The breakfast (nothing cooked) was very good. Car parking is FREE. 22 minute pleasant suburban walk to Third St. We'll CERTAINLY stay again.

3 Thank paulbraithwaite