“Beware of this so-called upscale hotel”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Tacloban, Philippines
“Beware of this so-called upscale hotel”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Am a business traveler, spending 3 nights weekly in all the major hotels. This hotel was thought to be an upscale, boutique type of hotel. hmmmmm... well, sort of.

Linens and toilettries are top notch. Secure parking is available... for a price.

That's about all that I have to say about it being good.

B'fast... same hard, crunchy pastries every day on the cold-buffet type of b'fast line. There was absolutely no variation across the 3 days I spent there in March.

The same pastries are what's set out for a snack later in the afternoon... even up thru the evening hours. Leftovers, I assume.

Keycard was validated only for 2 days, instead of 3... causing me to have to make 4 trips to my room before the desk clerk figured out how to properly re-activate it.

I was "upgraded" to a 4th floor room. "Very nice, you'll love it." Ha! Am not joking... EVERY night for 3 nights in a row there was vehicle traffic in the alley below... either delivery trucks, or garbage trucks, or something with backup alarms, hydraulics, etc. that awoke me anywhere from 2am-5:30am, every night.

On checkout, I stood at desk and waiting on desk person making another guest's car rental res. The desk person actually read ALOUD, over the phone, the name, the card #, the exp. date, and the security code, to the res. agent... while I was standing there. Wish I had a pencil with me! The data security at this hotel is now questionable.

Nice ambience, nice bed linens and toiletries... but service is sorely lacking and the b'fast is NOT something to be relied upon for a way to start your day.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the busy streets, or the alley.. but that doesn't leave much at this hotel.
Green Features: Don't be fooled by this category...when you pay $250-ish/night, who cares?
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Jay G
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your overall satisfaction.

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

Please reach out to me directly at gm@ambrosehotel.com for further follow up on your stay.

We certainly welcome both positive and critical comments in order for us to achieve the highest levels of guest stay experiences.

Your feedback makes it all worth it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at the Ambrose for 3 nights in January 2014 - our second stay having spent some time here on honeymoon in 2010.

The hotel was just as we remembered - quite and calm in a nice residential area. Feels miles away from LA and the beach, in a good way (in reality a 5-10 minute drive down to the heart of Santa Monica). Staff are always helpful and friendly, and breakfast is a treat.

A couple of niggles however - the hotel is starting to look a little tired around the edges (we were informed that a refurb is imminent), and the $20 per night parking charge seemed a little on the steep side for a hotel guest.

We hope to visit again when the works are completed to experience the new look Ambrose!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stevenjcarson

Thank you for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose hotel.

Our repeat guest's frequently tell us that our hotel and accommodations like their own home.

Our staff strives to provide service & accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Ask for the "repeat" guest discounts on your return.
San Clemente, California, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at The Ambrose immensely: beautifully serene surroundings, a feeling of relaxed elegance, all in all an oasis in hectic So Cal. And what made the sojourn especially positive was the staff, particularly Linda at the front desk whose gracious style, helpful local knowledge and care and concern were a real plus.

Room Tip: Upstairs roms are best
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank David L

Thank you for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose hotel.

Our staff, including Linda, strives to provide service & accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I love this hotel. We started staying here shortly after it opened and have never waivered. We lived in Santa Monica until 2000. I come back often for business and medical reasons. We are often here for a week or more and find the central location is perfect. We do not rent a car anymore and are able to walk to most places, otherwise the hotel's car and driver, taxi or limo work well.

Ownership of the hotel changed a couple of years back and we were apprehensive. There have been some minor changes, mostly positive, new people, uniformly positive, and a new energy. I cannot name everyone that make this a great hotel but Alfred, Jose, Linda, Maria, George and Hillary from before the ownership change are among the ones working very hard to maintain its quality. Also, Sheena, Thomas, Nida (?) and others are quality additions. I cannot say enough about the staff. Breakfast is great with healthy options and a mouth-watering variety of pastries. I don't use the gym although I see many who do. The same is true of the meeting room and business center. The rating for the areas below are inadequate. The "Swimming Pool" is not terrible. It is just not. The same is true for "Restaurant," breakfast is very good and we do not use the room service options but there is no restaurant as such..

Room Tip: Room 304 has a great terrace and is nice for small gatherings. Rooms 430 (very large) and 431 (sligh...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank emccartt
We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you for your positive review and comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

Our repeat guest's tell us they frequently find our hotel and accommodations like their own home.

Your comments make it worth all the effort.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We discovered The Ambrose about 8 years ago and have returned about 5 times with our family. We loved the fact that we found a 'home away from home' hotel nestled in a residential area. We had a lovely room in the past and cited our preference and it was always respected. This time however, we got a smaller room- disappointing

The hotel is showing its age and I understand it will thankfully be undergoing a renovation in the near future. The parking charge of $20 is a new and not welcome change. Although I understand the difficulty with non-hotel occupants using the system as it was, I don't know why the hotel card does not suffice to dissuade misuse with the new card activated gate and we need to pay.

The breakfasts were fantastic with fresh berries overflowing every morning. We were there six days and watched as the fruit bowl changed from all berries to apples and bananas. Given the fact you can buy strawberries at the side of the PCH, I wasn't sure why the supply was not replenished.

The cleaning staff left our ironing board out for four days. I used it on Monday morning and found it was still there every day until we departed. I left it there to see if anyone would bother to put it away. I don't think this is petty, I think it speaks to the apathy of the cleaning staff. They would actually have to work around it to clean the room!! As we were four people sharing what was already a small room, space was at a premium. In the past, we have had impeccable housekeeping service.

I loved the Aveda products that the hotel used to use. Now the toiletry items are a mismatch of different companies.

The TV's are a real issue. Given the development of technology, I can only hope that the renovations will include better TV's and an ability to turn the TV to facilitate viewing from other angles instead of straight ahead.

All in all, although we LOVED the old Ambrose, we have mixed feelings about the new Ambrose. After so many years, we are actually looking into our other options in Santa Monica. It's too bad. Maybe the renovations will change things so I can give it the full five stars it used to be?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your satisfaction.

Our renovation plans will address the areas that you had mentioned with new and exciting changes for the hotel.

For your return trip, please ask for the " repeat " guest discount.
Kearny, New Jersey
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed in the hotel Valentine's day weekend. It is located 20 blocks from the beach. However, the hotel offered shuttle service to all points within the city. The outside of the hotel is well kept and attractive. The front desk and lobby is warm, inviting and well appointed. The corridors, elevator and room were clean and well kept. Our room was a little worn and dated, but very clean and comfortable. The breakfast in the lobby was casual, delicious and plentiful. The front desk staff were accommodating. However, the guy who appeared to be the manager was grumpy. He reprimanded the front desk staff in front of guests (that's a no-no).

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms overlooking the court yard. It is apparently quieter than other areas.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rmy1221

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Ambrose was the perfect home base for my 4 day business trip. My room was a good size, clean and comfortable. Impressive breakfast and refreshments. I was happy with the amenities and the fact it was a green hotel. I cannot stand the bleach in the linens of many hotels, this was not an issue here. I had a demanding work schedule and wanted to see as much of Santa Monica as possible. Sheena at the front desk helped maximize my free time by suggesting restaurants and sites while providing some local traffic tips.The location allowed me to easily park my rental car, visit accounts and walk to local shops. The shuttle service was also a nice perk! I cannot say enough good things about The Ambrose! I would book here again. One more thing to anyone that has food allergies, I found this location close to many options for my gluten free/dairy free/egg free diet!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jill K
We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

Your comments make it worth the efforts from all the Team.