“Ambrose Hotel Weekend”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Ambrose Hotel Weekend”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The Hotel was great, had a really nice double room with balcony that had the morning sun, it was beautiful. The staff where super friendly which is always a big plus. Checking out was slightly messier as we called in for an extension to a late checkout which wasnt clear if it was ok or not, however in the end everything got sorted superbly. Super satisfied,

Kind regards

Christoffer Svensson

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you Christoffer S from NYC for your positive comments on your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel-Santa Monica.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our Southern California " vibe" throughout the entire hotel, staff and accommodations... that offer the personal service for a boutique hotel.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Mass
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I just started going out to LA for business and our company office is in Santa Monica. I found The Ambrose on TripAdvisor and booked a stay as it is only a mile from the office. Since arriving I received warm, hospitable and helpful service from the entire staff. I like the fact that it is not a big hotel and seems to have that boutique charm while offering great service. I typically don't eat breakfast but each morning I would stop for 20 minutes in the lobby where there was always fresh fruit, fresh pastries and coffee/juice. I also appreciated the local shuttle they offer for a 3 mile radius. I have already booked two (2) more follow-up stays and look forward to it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We couldn't have said it better !

Thank you for your positive comments on the Ambrose Hotel.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our Southern California " vibe" throughout the entire hotel, staff and accommodations... that are like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Oceanside, New York
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at the Ambrose in 2009 and was very pleased. I decided to stay here again when I visited LA. it is an excellent location in Santa Monica, near major roads but has a small boutique hotel feel. The breakfast ( included) are a good selection of fresh pastries, fresh fruit yogurt etc. The price for parking is very reasonable for the area-$20 self park in a secure underground garage.
The rooms are large and the well appointed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank PaulaZC
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your positive comments on the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The hotel is unique and beautiful, the employees were very courteous, professional, and helpful, and the continental breakfast was the best I've ever had. The only thing that kept me from giving this hotel a full five stars was the attention to detail on a few of the items in the room. There was a desk lamp with a broken shade clamp and a loose switch that crackled and sparked, and a wall outlet that did the same problem. The safe in the room upon first use had a dead battery and was unusable.
While most of these issues were addressed promptly and courteously, for the cost of the room I would have expected that the rooms would not have these types of safety issues. I would definitely stay again and look forward to seeing what the hotel looks like after the upcoming room makeovers. Traveled with family, and the room was great for having a crib and a child. The balcony overlooking Santa Monica was truly special.
Four and a 1/2 stars.

Room Tip: Balconies on the 4th floor were spectacular. Check for web specials.

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the Ambrose Hotel-Santa Monica.

We appreciate your research in finding us. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay.

Your feedback makes it all worth it.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Ambrose Hotel in Santa Monica is conveniently located- close enough to navigate all of Santa Monica. Its not right on the water, but on 20th street. So if you plan on using the 10 Fwy, or if you will be seeing more than just the beach the location is great.
The plusses are that the location worked well for us, and also its a generally nice hotel. They front desk was helpful upon checking in. There was tea and pastries in the lobby which was a nice touch. There isnt valet service or bell service so be prepared to park and carry your own bags. The Mission style of the hotel is really nice, but overall the hotel needs a deep cleaning if not a complete re carpeting. The hallways have a mix of dirty carpets and wood flooring. The room we stayed in had pretty used carpet again. It really needs to be cleaned. And the overall feeling of the room was sort of a stylish but in need of updating. They should just remove the draperies those were so worn in our room. I mean its pretty, and the bathrooms have granite, and the sheets were not bad, but I think the sense of the room is that it just needs to be refreshed. It wasnt dirty other than the carpet. Everything was in good working order. The hotel could benefit from being refreshed. As for the price, the $20 parking fee I found to be steep. I dont think parking should cost additionally at all. The rooms are already priced as high as they should be without adding more for do it yourself parking. I would actually stay here again if I needed to. Its less money than the popular beach hotels. For a quick night when I have things to do in Santa Monica it worked fine. I was disappointed that my water on the nightstand had a broken seal. I took it down to the front desk in the morning and she accidentally sent a replacement to the wrong room. Then never bothered to give me a water. I didnt like that the seal was broken- it felt like a former guest might have done that. I wish it had been replaced before I got there.

Room Tip: Our room faced 20th Street. (Room 331) It was a nice view, with the big sky in front of us. It was a...
Green Features: I like that this hotel is a green hotel. I would rather sup[port businesses that are green aware.

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation delivering 5 Star service on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

We are in the midst of a renovations plan for Spring 2014 that will address all the items you were concerned with.

i sincerely invite you back using our " repeat " guest BEST GUEST program. Reach out to me directly at gm@ambrosehotel.com for more information.
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Since I last stayed at this hotel for a month, its one step forward many steps back.

They got rid of some of the unfriendly snobby front desk staff which is a plus, but there's still so many things lacking.

- They turned the ice vending room into a business center which is cool but you have to ask the front desk to give you ice...its a huge pain, especially when there's a line and you just want to have a freaking drink...really bush-league.

- I was in a suite which had a LCD TV but last I was there its all CRT which sucks for using a laptop. It's 2014 folks!

- There was mold damage from leaking pipes in the bathroom that no effort was made to clean.

- Plants on the balconies were neglected and dying.

So long story short its not an awful experience but don't be deceived this was a boutique hotel that's aging and neglected.

Room Tip: Try to go as high as you can away from 20th
Green Features: They are super-green. Recycling within the room...reusing towels...reused swipe cards...yada yada...its great but shouldn't be the priority over maintaining a smooth operation.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your satisfaction. Or exceeded your expectation. Our philosophy is to bring 5 Star service that includes ice delivery for a 4 star hotel.

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

We are planning a renovation for Spring 2014 that will address all the items you mentioned.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Needs an update...noisy fan that could not be turned off in the bathroom (turned on with light switch); lack of closet space; need additional towel racks; all the faucets, tub filler we're loose but not leaking; on a positive note; terrific location close to shopping and sights in Santa Monica. Pleasant and courteous staff; a limited but adequate breakfast comes with the room; very comfortable bed; good A/C; easy in/out for cars visitors. Yes, I would stay here again but the hotel needs an update

Room Tip: Request a non-street side room

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We appreciate your positive comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

While we didn't fulfill all your expectations, we will be addressing your concerns in our renovations plan Spring 2014.

Please ask for our "repeat " guest discounts when you book us again.