“Boutique Hotel in Santa Monica”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Enjoyed an incredible stay at the Hotel Ambrose in Santa Monica. It is 20 blocks from the beach but the hotel offers free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius (a wonderful benefit).
This hotel is a green hotel and the ambience is very zen.
The décor I found to be somewhat Craftsman in style. Very warm and soothing.
They offer a complimentary continental breakfast but it is more than just fruits, juices and bread.
They also offer throughout the day in the lounge, complimentary drinks and cookies.
The hotel staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful (especially Alex and Thomas).
The price is half what you would pay at one of the hotels on Ocean Avenue.
I highly recommend this hotel if your looking for a true gem and not one of those 200+ rooms size hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the backside of the building I found to be quieter. Rooms facing the two streets of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you Carey C of our own Los Angeles, CA for your positive comments on the Ambrose Hotel.

Glad to see our Los Angeles first time guest's that find our hotel and instantly catch our relaxed culture " vibe" throughout the entire hotel, staff and accommodations... that are like their own home.

We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hotel was pleasant enough, rooms a good size, bathrooms get wet and slippery if shower curtain not left in the bath.
Decor is quite dated.
Breakfast is basic no protein, but nice fresh fruit.
Would stay again

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you Jazamo for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose hotel - Santa Monica.

Our staff strives to provide service & accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Please contact us directly for our Best Guest repeat discounts on future stays.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My teenaged son and I stayed six nights over the holidays. Great value compared to comparable Santa Monica hotels - clean rooms (loved the hardwood floors, patio and decor), comfortable beds and friendly staff (shout out to Drew for being so helpful on short notice!!). Free local car service, free wi-fi and continental breakfast (they even had soy milk for coffee!) were a real bonus. Terrific, safe location in quiet neighborhood while still freeway accessible. Mini-bar and room service prices were incredibly reasonable compared to other hotels! Conveniently, there's a 24 hr. Walgreens a half block from hotel and great vegetarian Indian restaurant (Chandni - amazing food and buffet's only $8!) also up the street. I didn't have any issue with A/C (like other review indicated) and also loved the ceiling fan. Also, we didn't have any issues with the bathroom being slippery or unsafe and we appreciated the hotel's commitment to being eco-friendly.
We thought the TV was unusually small (23 in.?), parking was a bit overpriced and I found it odd that the shampoo/conditioners were "mix and match" brands.
I definitely will stay here again and recommend it to couples, business travelers and individuals.

Room Tip: We were on main floor so there was some hallway noise. Recommend requesting room on higher floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer B

We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you JenniferB from NYC for your positive review and comments about the Ambrose hotel - Santa Monica.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and accommodations like their own home.

Your comments make our day !!!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I just stayed at the Ambrose for our New Years Eve tradition of dinner and a stay in Santa Monica. I booked using Hotel Tonight and found the price dropped 15 minutes later for the same room. That was a bit disappointing. As was the discount from their website price (like $3.50 less, once you take fees into account, you actually end up paying more). Was glad to get the room, as I saw prices going crazy later that day and evening (couldn't get a decent place on the Westside for under $4-500).

The rooms are nicely furnished, but the bathroom was a death trap. I like marble floors but make them even slightly wet and you have a skating rink. The shower and bath was even more slippery. Even with three grab bars, I almost fell multiple times. And that was before soap or shampoo were applied. A few dollars worth of vinyl stick-ins could save a life or prevent an injury.

I'm not in a wheelchair, but I could barely deal with that bathroom. I have NO idea how a disabled person could do it.

Two more issues. I have nothing against throw pillows, but they're not for sleeping on. Your King bed has basically just one, long thin sleeping pillow per person. Not comfortable, and not what you would expect in a hotel of this calibre. Also, the a/c blows right in your face. So you either stifle or wake up with a dry throat the next morning.

Bottom line. Crummy pillow, a/c in your face all night and bathroom to die for (or more likely, die in). Not really a great experience. Why didn't I complain? I was there for fun, not for unpacking, packing, room changes, etc.

Room Tip: High rooms facing West have great views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trvlin_man
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We’re very sorry to hear that your stay experience was not to your complete satisfaction.

We attempt to exceed every guest expectation on every stay and I am terribly sorry that this did not happen for you.

Please feel free to reach me directly at gm@ambrosehotel.com or 310-315-1555. Ext. 5.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you're staying in Santa Monica, there isn't a whole lot for hotels in the area, surprisingly. The Ambrose is in an ideal location close to all the tech companies.

The hotel itself is nice, the rooms are pretty modern with comfortable beds. Having a real mini-bar is a huge plus.

The only real negative about this hotel is the parking. They have underground parking, but it requires a room key to enter. Not a big deal, except that they only have two spaces for checking in. Last time I checked in, I had to wait over 20 minutes for the people in line behind me to finish checking in so they could move their cars as they were blocking mine by parking right in the driveway behind my car (which was in one of the two spaces). I can't even imagine what it must be like if they were actually busy.

That said, I will be staying in Santa Monica almost every week for the next 3-4 months, and I have not seen a reason to go elsewhere. The Ambrose is just fine for my needs.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you ChrisJ for your positive comments about your most recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

We're sorry to hear the situation upon your arrival with the Guest Registration parking. Thank you for bringing it to our attention... Oddly enough, we get so many " early " arrivals each day, that by check in time, most arrivals are settled in !! But, we do recognize that situation and will make it a point to monitor the spaces each day.

For your next reservation, please contact our Reservations Manager, Alfred for our Best Guest program discounts. He can be reached at 310-315-3187 or via email at alfred@ambrosehotel.com.

We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This venue was the chosen hotel of the bride and groom. The rooms were clean and well-furnished and the continental breakfast was good. It could use a little protein, i.e., a boiled egg or two. The shuttle didn't quite get you to Main Street on the south side of Interstate 10 but all-in-all it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you Billiejoe52 from Anaheim for your positive comments about your recent stay with a Wedding Group at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

We appreciate all your research & effort in finding us for the entire Wedding Group....

We're all so glad that everything worked out to your expectations. We really wish the Bride & Groom many happy returns !!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've been very happy with my three stays at The Ambrose over 2013. The staff has always been welcoming and professional. I sleep extremely well there and find the room quite comfortable. I love the breakfast, particularly the coffee and the fresh fruit. The general ambiance is peaceful and relaxing, which I really appreciate when I am away from home. When I arrive from the airport I walk through the doors and immediately settle. I like to enjoy my breakfast out by the garden; I watch the birds and listen to the fountain. There is noise from other rooms, but I always travel with my custom earplugs so I'm not bothered. I would appreciate the option to charge my iPhone next to the bed without unplugging the lamp.

Room Tip: I always stay on the ground floor in a Premium King. I like being able to sit outside on the little...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you Rivenfox from Victoria, Canada for your positive comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel - Santa Monica.

We appreciate your research in finding us and coming back three times this year.

Your feedback makes it all worth it.