Stayed here a few days with my mother, and overall had a very pleasant experience at this hotel.
What we liked about this hotel:
- Price: It was much more affordable than the hotels right on the beach, and there was no "resort fee" of any sort, which I liked
- Car Service (Complimentary): They have a nice car service that is free for hotel guests that will take you to & from the beach, the 3rd street promenade, and another attraction (that I can't think of off-hand). It is not a shuttle bus but actually a nice luxury SUV with leather seats and a driver who opens the door for you. One of the drivers, Jose, was great. He seemed to know the area very well. They're all very friendly people. And we never waited more than 10 minutes to be picked-up.
- Service: Everyone who worked with customers seemed very friendly.
- Design: The hallways and rooms themselves have a Japanese feel to it, which is unique. The grounds are well-kept. They had real bamboo in the bathroom, authentic wood floors. I liked those details.
- Clean: No bugs, No Dust, & No empty wrappers or other random items left behind from previous guests. The housekeeping seems on their game in this place. Towels / blankets / robes / pillows, all very clean and crisp.
- Internet + Continental Breakfast: No complaints, both free for guests.
What we did not like about this hotel:
- When checking in, they don't tell you parking in their underground garage is $20/day. I was already expecting this from reading reviews on Tripadvisor- but I thought it was a bit shady nobody mentioned it during check-in. They just ask you if you need to park a car, and then hand you a parking permit with a smile. If I wasn't expecting this fee from Tripadvisor reviews and then saw how much I owed for parking without being warned beforehand, I would have flipped out at them. Not good practice.
- The room the first day had an old wood smell. Not necessarily dirty, just old. Like grandma's old house type of a smell. Not very sexy if you're on a honeymoon (fortunately, I was not lol). After we moved our stuff in and aired it out a bit, the old smell was gone.
- I booked a room through a travel site for 2 beds in a "studio suite." Come to find out, that doesn't exist. The hotel must have mis-informed the travel website (I think it was Expedia or Travelocity) about what they offer. The second bed was actually a pull-out sofa bed. They upgraded us to a room with a beautiful terrace and outdoor fireplace for the inconvenience (which I appreciated very much)- but still, the sofa bed was not comfortable at all. So you've been warned if you book a "studio suite" with 2 beds, you might want to call ahead and confirm what it is you actually just booked.
- For a hotel in LA, I was surprised they were still rocking the old school TV's. They have a modern surround sound system in the studio suite room (I think I even saw a speaker in the ceiling in the bathroom), but why the old school TV?
Overall, the advantages greatly out weighed the disadvantages of this hotel, and I would happily stay at this hotel again (as long as they don't bump up their rates to the levels of the other hotels right on the beach). We had a nice, relaxing time- and at the end of the day, that's what it's really about for me.
Hope my review helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the corner of 20th and Arizona Street, The Ambrose is in a quiet and unassuming neighborhood and is known for being an eco-friendly property. Having just completed an extensive, multi-million dollar renovation of all 77 guestrooms and public spaces, the distinctive California Craftsman design has been revitalized to reflect the essence of a large private home. Luxury linens, C.O. Bigelow bath products, complimentary in-room HSIA WiFi, complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary fitness center access and complimentary house car service await all guests! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your The Ambrose reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambrose Hotel Santa Monica