WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Excellent stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ambrose hotel is a quaint boutique hotel in Santa Monica. We were two adults and a child- had a comfortable stay for 3 nights in a king bedroom. Our room was nicely appointed, we found the staff to be friendly and efficient, and the continental breakfast in the morning was more than adequate. They have a little garden area with a small fishpond just outside the breakfast area which our 1 year old found really entertaining. Wireless and parking in their large underground lot was included in the rate, which is great. Overall a very pleasant, relaxing experience, we would definitely stay again, and would not hesitate to recommend.

The one thing to be aware of is the location, which could be a disadvantage depending on what you are looking for. It is on a quiet street just off Wilshire about 20 blocks from the ocean front- so about a 20-25 minute brisk walk. They do have a complimentary shuttle service, but if you have young children, you will not be able to use it. We did not ever find this a disadvantage since we had a car, and never had a problem finding metered parking closer to the ocean front.

2 Thank Narayanan R
General M, General Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the Ambrose Hotel.
We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We used to have relatives stay here when we lived in Santa Monica. Now that we've moved away we gave it a try and had a great stay: very comfortable room (two adults, one child), outstanding free continental breakfast, great free parking situation, free wifi, lovely design. The only thing keeping me from giving five stars is that noise really travels, not only from adjacent rooms but also any time someone is in the hallway. But for just over $200/night it's a great choice and we will definitely stay here the next time in Santa Monica without a second thought.

General M, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the Ambrose Hotel.
London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This was a repeat visit and The Ambrose is every bit as good as I remembered. I stayed for five nights through New Year for a few days R 'n R on my own. Whilst not downtown, the location is fine within walking distance of excellent eateries on Wilshire. The car park underneath, with lifts directly down through the hotel to the two levels is very easy access. You can also be on Lincoln Boulevard and Interstate 10 within a couple of minutes and Century City is only 15 minutes along Santa Monica Boulevard. My advice would be, as a cyclist, to not use the hotel's free bikes which are poorly maintained cruisers with only a back-pedal brake. Given the number of junctions requiring frequent stops, these bikes are hard to handle!

The rooms are dark but extremely quiet. Unlike other contributors I did not observe any sound-proofing issues despite the excellent sound systems and CD players with excellent speakers in every room. The beds and pillows are of the highest order. The breakfast offering is imaginative, with lovely scones and pastries, though the seating is not ideal, being largely low tables.

The desk staff are helpful and accommodating. I intend to stay again and again. Compared with European prices these days, this hotel offers fantastic four star value.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank paulbraithwaite
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked a room with a King size bed but apparently they gave us a room with a Queen size bed. I was wondering why my sleep is so uncomfortable? I had to mesure the bed: 60 inches instead of 76. To me a Queen size bed is uncomfortable for two people. On checkout they told me that they have only 3 rooms with the King size bed. Why would you mislead people then? They also told me that if I would say earlier they could have tried to move us to the other room: they made it sound like it's all my fault. People, when I am booking a hotel room, I don't want to deal with bed measurements, negotiations and room relocations. That's not what I am here for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SergeMavro
John S, General Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I apologize that you were given a queen bedded room when you had booked a king bedded room. We do have three rooms that are mistakenly coded as single king bedded when they in fact have a queen bed. We are resolving that situation. All the other rooms have one king bed or have two queen beds. We are planning a renovation later this year and will convert those three rooms to kings.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We knew we wanted to stay in Santa Monica, but didn't want to pay Ocean Ave prices. We found the Ambrose through Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The hotel is designed in a very Zen like manner with a tranquil courtyard that greets you when you walk up. The rooms follow the same trend with hardwood floors and Asian influenced design pieces. We stayed in a lower level room with a small patio facing the street. There was no road noise to speak of at night. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and the shower was roomy enough (but not necessarily large). The continental breakfast included cereal, pastries, fresh strawberries and yogurt. Enough to get you started on the day. The only negative is that the walls are rather thin. We heard conversations from the room next door as if they were in our room. Although to be fair, it was New Year's Eve. The second night was much better after our rowdy neighbors checked out.

One huge plus is the customer service. We were booked for 3 nights at the non-refundable rate, but at the last minute we decided to check out a day early and move closer to Disneyland. The would have been well within their rights to charge us for the 3rd night, but they graciously let us check out early and did not charge us for the 3rd night we'd reserved. Not many hotels would do that. A++ for customer service in my book.

Second plus was the shuttle service. The Ambrose has an SUV with driver who will run you back and forth to 3rd Street, the Pier, etc. He was never more than 6 minutes away. Our driver was also very knowledgeable about places to go and good restaurants to choose. They also have a bike rental on-site. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank StorytellerGal
Gambrills, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at the Ambrose for two nights while on vacation and enjoyed our visit. Our room was comfortable, especially the beds. Our third-floor room overlooked the street but noise was minimal. There were light-blocking curtains, which blocked out the early morning sun. The supplied toiletries were of high quality and the terrycloth robes were a nice touch. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, however. There is an "honor bar" but no coffee maker in the room.

As others have noted, this hotel is not close to the Santa Monica pier. We used the (free) shuttle, which was quick and convenient. The area is safe and there are many restaurants within walking distance. Self parking was free and easy. Wifi was free.

The breakfast was delicious, with fresh pastries and fruit, plus juices, coffee and yogurt. Breakfast items were replenished quickly. My daughter especially liked the chocolate-filled croissants. There were not enough seats in the breakfast room, as others have remarked. The breakfast room is next to the Study, with a fireplace, and also opens onto a garden area with a fountain.

The front desk personnel were pleasant and informative. We would gladly stay at this hotel on future visits. Our friends who live in nearby Glendale commented on what a find this hotel was.

1 Thank emilysmom2003
San Fran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice and location, while far from beach, is not too bad. But my pricing and check-in experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

I booked an upgraded room on one of the consolidation sites for $259, reduced from $279. When I checked in, I was given what they call a Premier King room. It seemed a bit small for this price, so I checked the hotel site for the same night.

Thet had a Deluxe King for $219, a Premier King for $229, and a Studio King for $279. So I was paying $259 plus fees for a room the hotel sells itself for $229, not such a great deal.

I spoke to several people and was first offered a larger Premier King room. I explained that I thought I had paid the Studio rate and would just like a credit. After more deliberation, I was allowed to move to a Studio (at no time was I offered help moving nor did anyone offer to bring me the key to the new room). It was all done sort of grudgingly.

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have to spend an hour of my vacation negotiating and changing rooms. I would just like to get what I pay for, or get a credit when I don't.

I doubt many people would have checked the hotel's own rates, and think it is either a convenient "mistake" or they don't know what their marketing people are offering. In either case, I would have ended paying more and getting less ...

• Stayed December 2012