“Nice hotel, but worst rate guarantee??”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
San Fran
“Nice hotel, but worst rate guarantee??”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice and location, while far from beach, is not too bad. But my pricing and check-in experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

I booked an upgraded room on one of the consolidation sites for $259, reduced from $279. When I checked in, I was given what they call a Premier King room. It seemed a bit small for this price, so I checked the hotel site for the same night.

Thet had a Deluxe King for $219, a Premier King for $229, and a Studio King for $279. So I was paying $259 plus fees for a room the hotel sells itself for $229, not such a great deal.

I spoke to several people and was first offered a larger Premier King room. I explained that I thought I had paid the Studio rate and would just like a credit. After more deliberation, I was allowed to move to a Studio (at no time was I offered help moving nor did anyone offer to bring me the key to the new room). It was all done sort of grudgingly.

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have to spend an hour of my vacation negotiating and changing rooms. I would just like to get what I pay for, or get a credit when I don't.

I doubt many people would have checked the hotel's own rates, and think it is either a convenient "mistake" or they don't know what their marketing people are offering. In either case, I would have ended paying more and getting less ...

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank trvlin_man

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights and had a very nice visit. The hotel is nicely designed and tasteful, though perhaps a bit worn at the edges. My wife was very happy here, which is an accomplishment in itself.

The room itself was very clean and spacious, with nice furniture, though the television was old style CRT (we didn't come to watch television, so that wasn't a big deal). On the down side, the bathroom exhaust system didn't work so well.

The breakfast was very nice, though there weren't enough tables for everyone who came down for breakfast, and some people had to eat sitting on the sofa's. The coffee was better than most American hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the west side, with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank burrlamb
London
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Although the hotel is not close to the beach and malls that Santa Monica has to offer, it makes up for it in cosiness. As I didn’t rent a car during my stay I also found their free shuttle extremely convenient. I was able to walk to Wilshire Boulevard where there are quite a few restaurant choices available just around the corner. The area is quiet and feels very safe, even at night.

I had a large room on the top floor with a comfortable seating area. The furniture looked nice - very ‘old Californian’. If I had to look for a little something that could be improved I would just point out the shower curtain: mine was made of an opaque garment that didn’t let much light through, which can feel a bit claustrophobic when showering.

The free breakfast (nice croissants!) and wifi were much appreciated. And for those who have a car I understand parking is free as well. Finally a hotel that doesn’t make a living out of hidden charges!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aledwige
Irvine, California
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I planned to stay at the Ambrose, despite its terrible location, because they claim to have a free shuttle. What they DON'T say on their website is that it's not for anyone under 8 because of California law. Apparently, we're supposed to be familiar with such laws, though I thought truth in advertising was also the law, and not just in California. Our room was very small and overlooked a parking structure. The location is bad and the staff is... not that helpful. I'd pay a little bit more money and stay in a part of Santa Monica that's walking distance to the beach, stores, or restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
John S, Manager at The Ambrose, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I am truly sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at The Ambrose. While we are not directly on the beach, we are conveniently located to shopping and businesses in a residential neighborhood not far from city center. I hope you understand that our staff is responsible to see that we adhere to California law in regards to transporting small children in a safe and legal manner and was disappointed that we could not accommodate your child in our complimentary shuttle.
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Lovely designed hotel. Staff were friendly and breakfast was immense. We did have a room facing the road which did become a bit busy in the mornings especially as its across from a hospital and by traffic lights so does get quite busy. The hotel is a bit of a distance from the centre of Santa Monica but this can be easily walked. It was one of the few hotels I could find with free parking which is a huge bonus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellerHB1979
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very quaint hotel with super friendly staff and spacious, clean room. The rate includes breakfast, which is not to be missed. The breakfast has delicious croissants, muffins, and other baked goods as well as fresh orange juice and grape juice.

Pillows were a bit too hard for me, and the AC noise was a bit loud. But other than that, the room was quite comfortable and clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is beautifully designed with elements of Japanese architecture and Art Deco furniture. It also has a Japanese garden. It has free Internet, a generous breakfast and free shuttle within Santa Monica. The staff is very friendly. My stay in this hotel was thoroughly enjoyable.
Olga