“An oasis in Santa Monica”
Review of The Ambrose

The Ambrose
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We arrived several hours before check-in time, and as our room was not ready we were offerred a downgrade to a room that was available. Downgrade? The room we were given was delightful! We were on the ground floor, closest to the intersection. We had a private patio, that was a lovely place to sit with a newspaper & a cup of coffee.There was very minimal noise, as this hotel is on a tree-lined residential street. Yes, it is a very long walk to the beach. But the Ambrose has a London cab that will transport you within Santa Monica. Continental breakfast is included, and it's a pleasant meal - fresh berries, quality pastry, organic yoghurt, etc. - served in the lobby area or outside on the patio. When we return to Santa Monica, we will definitely stay at the Ambrose.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 1Traveling_Spirit
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed December 3, 2011

When I read the reviews of Trip Advisor, I was excited at the same time had concerns about the noise and other issues that I read. After the talk I had with Alex Cortez of the front desk, he put my mind at ease and true to his word, our 2 day stay was wonderful. I would also like to commend Linda Crocker, also of the front desk for all the helpful infomation about Sta. Monica. Early check-in was available and the room in the third floor was overlooking the garden and was quiet for the most part. It felt like a cozy, serene, simple home away from home.
Great free breakfast of fresh strawberries, delicious muffins and Tazo teas. Location was great, walking distance to the promenade and Santa Monica Pier( from what I have heard from the people who walked, about 25 minute walk), Wallgreens, CVS and to Wilshire Blvd. which has restaurants that one can enjoy. The staff were helpful and friendly.
My husband and I would like to come back in the near future.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

Room Tip: the third floor west side facing the garden is quiet..
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jecca5268
Reviewed November 28, 2011

While staying at this hotel, I was checked out of my room mid-stay by a staff member even though my reservation was for a week. Apparently I was confused with another guest. My key stopped working at this time, money was withdrawn from my checking accout twice without my approval which caused over draft fees. After visiting the front desk to work thois all out, I was then mistakenly charged another fee to re-check myself back into the hotel even though I never left.
The mangager was very rude over the phone and again charged my card without my approval minus one discounted night for all my trouble. After trying to reach the owner, get in touch with her, etc. my calls were never returned. On top of this, I was not impressed with the hotel at all. I don't reccomend staying here unless you are up for terrible customer service....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Loved this boutique hotel in Santa Monica. Early check in was available when I arrived from Australia, complete with complimentary room upgrade. Even though this hotel is back from the Pier and 3rd street Promenade, they were still easily accessible by either hotel push bike or the hotel's London cab. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a room out the front with balcony if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at the Ambrose for 2 nights on a business trip and found it to be a comfortable experience. I booked the hotel through a third party website and did not have any problems checking in. Since my meetings were in Santa Monica, I found the location of the hotel very convenient since it is within a quick drive from LAX. The hotel is within walking distance to 3rd Street Promenade (about 20 min walk), but this being LA, you will need a car to go to nearby places, such as Venice or Abbot Kinney Boulevard. The surrounding area is typical LA - there are residential houses, a medical center/hospital, and a major street (Wilshire Boulevard) with fast food, CVS, and occasional Irish bar within walking distance. FYI, there are no In 'n Out Burger nearby that I am aware of.

There is a shuttle car provided by the hotel, but I don't remember how far they were willing to drive. You could theoretically walk over to the Pier, but it would be a hike.

If you are looking for a quiet and comfy hotel with tasty & healthy breakfast options, the Ambrose is it. If you are looking to party, there isn't much near by and the Ambrose is not a hotel buzzing with pseudo-celebs.

Room Tip: I stayed in a wheelchair accessible room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2011

As part of a 2 week tour of the California coast, my wife and I stopped off at LA (Santa Monica) for 2 nights. We were exceedingly fortunate to come across this hotel on the intranet. Although it was highly rated on Trip Advisor, one is always crossing one’s fingers. As soon as we arrived we were able to uncross our fingers knowing that we were in very good hands and in a lovely hotel.

The hotel has free parking underground which was extremely convenient. It is centrally located and in walking distance to the Santa Monica Pier and other main streets such as Wilshire Boulevard. When we checked in we were fortunate to be taken care of by a wonderful lady called Linda. Not only was she extremely professional, warm and welcoming, but in a city known for its superficiality she was anything but. My wife and I felt that Linda was sincere and eager for us to have a good time. She took time to describe the area, recommended places to eat (all very good) and was constantly vigilant to every one of our needs. Anytime we passed the front desk, Linda was there with a smile.

Linda set the tone, and the quality of the hotel was most fine, from the décor, to the service, the excellent complimentary breakfast to the efficient and friendly room service that we took advantage of one evening. The hotel has an elegant Asian theme which provides a profound feeling of calmness. It also had a well equipped gymnasium for those interested. The bedroom was elegantly appointed with every amenity we could have asked for, even down to bathroom scales.

The hotel has a complimentary personal shuttle service (London Cab) that we used on one occasion when we wanted to get back to the hotel when we were a distance away. They picked us up and safely brought us back. We had a room with a balcony that overlooked the garden, and although it was lovely please be mindful that this boutique hotel is in the downtown area so surrounded by traffic and business, saying that, we were able to sleep soundly in a comfortable bed and enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the evening with a glass of wine watching the world go by.

I must again emphasize that the quality and service of this hotel stands on its own, however after travelling to many hotels both on business and pleasure, this hotel also offers a warm welcoming feeling from our host Linda. She was a treasure and my wife and I will always be grateful to her for making our stay so special – thank you so much.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Big, clean room (#422) but in need of maintenance (broken window hinges, dodgy power socket). Huge bed, extremely comfortable. Good continental breakfast, but a poorly thought out space in which to eat it - I saw people taking bowls of cereal back to their rooms because there were no spare seats, and it's a bit irritating to have to queue to get to food, which is all accessed via a tiny floor space of approximately four square inches. Someone slap the architect.

• Stayed: October 2011