“Cafe on the beach”

Ranked #218 of 717 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Description: Since 1977, Perry's has grown to 12 beachside locations along the world-famous Santa Monica and Venice beaches, as well as Playa del Rey and Redondo Beach. Perry's is a local institution frequented by generations of celebrities, tourists and locals. Services include beach rentals such as bikes, skates, chairs, umbrellas, surfboards and boogie boards, beach butler service, Legends Beach Bike Tour, event catering and a full range of healthy and fresh award-winning café food. Besides being the leading beach services operator in Santa Monica and Venice, Perry's is also the largest bike and skate rental company in California.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stopped at Perry's for lunch while biking along the beach in Santa Monica. The cafe is right along the bike path and has outdoor seating. You can choose to sit at a patio table or in beach chairs. The menu offers a wide variety of food. I ordered the BBQ chicken salad (which was giant) and my husband ordered the mahi mahi sandwich. Both the salad and sandwich were pretty good. I thought the prices were on the high side for cafe food. The service was slow but we had a good view of the mountains and ocean, so I didn't mind.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We went for a quick breakfast and rent our bikes. The breakfast was much better than I expected. I normally avoid burger joints but my husband picked it and that's where the bikes are. It was so nice to eat breakfast on the beach and the bike trail was amazing! It was so interesting to see the contrast of the lovely city of Santa Monica and the trashy Venice area. I was glad to get out of there. The sun and ocean breeze made for a perfect day for a bike ride. We came back the next day to ride north on the trail and so glad we did. It helped that it was off season and a weekday. All staff were friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Ckwi
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've been here many times over the years. This is a beachside cantina serving almost anything you can rustle-up but to the uninitiated it's a burger and hot dog joint. Decor is a tad rough at the edges. But the menu is affordable and to be fair, the food served up is of a decent quality for what is effectively classic fast food.

The location is good, perched on the long stretch of beach that hugs the Santa Monica coast. It's a great place to watch the world go by. Adjacent to this cantina is the boardwalk (well concrete-walk) and cycle path, plus a few beach volley ball nets. So if you want to sit back at plastic table with umbrella, plastic chair and feet in the sand... imagine the beach boys are playing, glance up at the American flag proudly blowing with the on-shore wind, college hunks and bikini clad girls playing beach volley ball and you have the All-American Californian dream-scene playing out before you.

I am told this cantina is a local institution and judging from the years it's been going, it's probably true.

Also adjacent to this beach-bite eatery is a bicycle rental shop.

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

A good place to enjoy a bit of food or a cold drink when the sun is to hot ;) Good place to rent a bike aswell! :)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

It's unlike me to give such a bad rating but Perry's was simply dreadful (this the smaller Perry's not the larger one across the way).

The girl serving me had an attitude problem, it was as if the customers were interrupting her day. When I placed my order she barked at me if I wanted anything else. There was no thank yous, no politeness what-so-ever. She threw my food at me when it was finally ready.

I had to wait ages to get my order, which I was putting to being super hungry. But when people who arrived after me started to get their orders (some the exact same as mine) I started to get worried. No apology when my food finally arrived.

The food was overpriced and tasteless, I felt ill afterwards.

Maybe the larger Perry's was better.

1  Thank kiwigirlabroad