“Farmshop”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Farmshop in Brentwood looked very promising, with the chef owner coming from Bouchon. The under baked baguette did not look appetizing so I went with the croissant and a smaller loaf. The croissant was superb, nearly identical to Bouchon's superb version. The bread was good, but fell short of the "Ahhhh" because of its density without depth of flavor. Yes, I would rather eat this than any supermarket bread anytime, but I would not go out of my way to buy it.

The tuna salad sandwich was wonderful. Made with line caught albacore tuna, aioli, black olive tapenade, and served with a carrot, cabbage and golden raisin slaw for $14.50, this open faced sandwich served on an olive bread was a perfect lunch.

There are newer reviews for Farmshop

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This little gem sits in the back of the Brentwood country mart. The food is fresh, superior quality, and unique. Try the lamb bacon in your BLT or just buy some and take it home to cook for the family. Varied wide choices of fine little gems, your not likely to find elsewhere. Make a reservation if you know ahead of time or wait a few minutes if they are full they are looking to accommodate and they do it well

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The skinny:

Parking- Big paved lot (free) and metered street
Decor - new Rustic
Dress - Casual
Bathrooms - Clean
Cell phones - no usage at table policy
Coke Factor - Mexican in the glass bottle
Service - knowledgable and nice
Food - delish

We came here with another couple for dinner on a Saturday night. It was not crowded and there were all age groups here from young (but well behaved to old). Our friends were late so we ordered the onion rings as an appetizer. They were really greasy and the breading was not what I expected, it kind of fell off immediately and was oily. Next up was the 3 cheese board. We sampled 3 of at least 10 and they were all fabulous and each one came with a bit of fruit jam/jelly - OUTSTANDING! and also fruit/nut bread that is lightly toasted. I could have just eaten cheese all night! My friend had the oysters on the half shell which they loved and said tasted so fresh. For meals we ordered- Jidori chicken (perfectly moist and juicy), Flat Iron steak (excellent meat) and Alaskan Halibut with Cherries (she loved it, scraped the plate clean) and I had the pasta with pork belly (smoky rich flavor). Everything tasted great, skip the onion rings and save room for dessert!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had dinner at the Farmshop last week, on a Monday evening. There was a whole list of interesting cheese/salumi type offerings, using some of the products they sell in the shop. I didn't order any of them, so I can't comment.

I did have the cream of asparagus soup with watercress and it was not the creamy flavorful warm soup I wanted. It was lukewarm, they add the watercress after heating the asparagus soup, I was told, and a sea urchin floated in the middle. The total effect eating/drinking it was it was like a green drink in a soup bowl. I didn't like it. Next to me two women were dining and one ordered the soup later than I did, and then asked about the crispy lavash that was supposed to come with it. That was actually for a different menu item, but they brought the lavash and it certainly was needed, though it still wouldn't have made the soup delicious, it just would have distracted and made you feel like you ate something and didn't pay quite so much for so little.

My entree was a pasta dish with fusilloni pasta, spot prawns, peas and pea pesto, oyster mushrooms and ricotta cheese. This was delicious. The prawns were sweet and just cooked right, not overcooked, so easy to do. It all married beautifully. I could eat this dish once a week, definitely the highlight of the meal.

For dessert I had a chocolate tart with some hazelnut sauce and a nut crunch on top. I only had a bite or two. The density of the tart was too much, like baked mud, really, it makes you wonder when someone prepares something like this, do they taste it? Way too heavy. Nothing could save it.

So for what, sixty bucks, I didn't have wine, I had one wonderful plate of food, and two almost inedible plates.

Which is why I put "inconsistent" at the top.

Portions are on the small side. If you go, just be selective in your ordering.

The shop is terrific, lots of goodies there, and the whole Brentwood Country Mart is fun to have a look at.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were a dinner party of 7 adults and two young children. First impressions of the room were pleasing, although it seemed as if the restaurant was an add on to the market section. It was a bit like eating in a Whole Foods. The prices on the menu were a shockingly high for what seemed like a casual lunch place but we had already cancelled our other alternative reservation (indian, big mistake). There were only 5 entree selections and I chose the gnocchetti as it was only $24 ! My wife had the Jidori chicken at $28. My pasta was bland to tasteless, although the chicken was passable. With 3 or 4 appetizers in the $12 range and 3 or 4 small vegetable add-ons around $8, c ouple of bottles of Pinot and a $35 fee for cutting my son's birthday cake we ended up with a bill (with service of almost $500). Pretty outrageous.