“inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Farmshop

Farmshop
Reserve with OpenTable
Farmshop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 676 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had dinner at the Farmshop last week, on a Monday evening. There was a whole list of interesting cheese/salumi type offerings, using some of the products they sell in the shop. I didn't order any of them, so I can't comment.

I did have the cream of asparagus soup with watercress and it was not the creamy flavorful warm soup I wanted. It was lukewarm, they add the watercress after heating the asparagus soup, I was told, and a sea urchin floated in the middle. The total effect eating/drinking it was it was like a green drink in a soup bowl. I didn't like it. Next to me two women were dining and one ordered the soup later than I did, and then asked about the crispy lavash that was supposed to come with it. That was actually for a different menu item, but they brought the lavash and it certainly was needed, though it still wouldn't have made the soup delicious, it just would have distracted and made you feel like you ate something and didn't pay quite so much for so little.

My entree was a pasta dish with fusilloni pasta, spot prawns, peas and pea pesto, oyster mushrooms and ricotta cheese. This was delicious. The prawns were sweet and just cooked right, not overcooked, so easy to do. It all married beautifully. I could eat this dish once a week, definitely the highlight of the meal.

For dessert I had a chocolate tart with some hazelnut sauce and a nut crunch on top. I only had a bite or two. The density of the tart was too much, like baked mud, really, it makes you wonder when someone prepares something like this, do they taste it? Way too heavy. Nothing could save it.

So for what, sixty bucks, I didn't have wine, I had one wonderful plate of food, and two almost inedible plates.

Which is why I put "inconsistent" at the top.

Portions are on the small side. If you go, just be selective in your ordering.

The shop is terrific, lots of goodies there, and the whole Brentwood Country Mart is fun to have a look at.

• Visited April 2013

“way overpriced and bland flavors”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were a dinner party of 7 adults and two young children. First impressions of the room were pleasing, although it seemed as if the restaurant was an add on to the market section. It was a bit like eating in a Whole Foods. The prices on the menu were a shockingly high for what seemed like a casual lunch place but we had already cancelled our other alternative reservation (indian, big mistake). There were only 5 entree selections and I chose the gnocchetti as it was only $24 ! My wife had the Jidori chicken at $28. My pasta was bland to tasteless, although the chicken was passable. With 3 or 4 appetizers in the $12 range and 3 or 4 small vegetable add-ons around $8, c ouple of bottles of Pinot and a $35 fee for cutting my son's birthday cake we ended up with a bill (with service of almost $500). Pretty outrageous.

• Visited March 2013
Redlands,CA
“Hauntingly familiar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

What a fun place. The dinner menus was very creative, but hauntingly familiar. The menus items are composed of a lot of dishes that are commonplace at home and in a lot of restaurants. But the familiarity is greatly elevated to a point of artistry. The lamb chops were served "fried" and accompanied with lamb bacon and the ribeye cap was served with a parsley sauce. The fried smelt as a starter was an unexpected surprise. Great, reasonably price wine list combined with a very relaxed atmosphere and an amazing attention to ingredients and preparation make this place hard to beat.

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles
“Farm fresh goodness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently tried Farmshop for breakfast and were totally impressed by the selection and quality of the food. Everything about our meal tasted fresh, handmade, and unique. I highly recommend their fantastic French Toast which was made from thick slabs of delicious homemade bread and came served with fresh blueberry marmalade, lemon curd, chopped pecans, zoe’s bacon AND real maple syrup! Yum! The egg dishes were all wonderful (where else in LA can you find shirred and coddled eggs) and I wanted gobble up everything in their pastry case! I particularly appreciated all of the locally sourced products that were featured on the menu. Breakfast at Farmshop is a bit expensive, but well worth the splurge for such innovative and tasty food.

• Visited February 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
“Beautiful food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Our family of six had an outstanding experience at Farmshop last night. The food was beautifully prepared and our server was fantastic. His recommendations were right on point. The fava bean hummus was amazing. My son decided to try the chicken which was very flavorful and absolutely delicious. We had a great experience. The shop is also very fun and full of great things to take home!