“Great boutique hotel - Excellent Service”
Review of Shore Hotel

Shore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I just had a baby a few months ago, and when my mother-in-law came into town, we decided to take advantage and get away for the evening on the Westside (we are Angelinos but live near downtown) and looked up what was recommended here. Been to many Santa Monica hotels for drinks but never stayed over, but given the chance we decided to stay at the Shore, which we're glad we did.

Service was excellent from the beginning. We put in the notes that we were celebrating (getting a good night's sleep!) and they were nice enough to upgrade us to a partial ocean view room in the front part of the hotel which was very appreciated and thoughtful. After doing some research, I decided though not to valet the car and parked it in a city lot which saved us some money. There is a city lot right behind the hotel which allows overnight parking.

Amenities were fantastic and staff took care of all our special requests. Rooms are state of the art and you can tell they take pride in their LEED certification. Would definitely recommend to out-of-towners, or even in-towners looking to get away like ourselves!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christina M, Assitant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Bill T,

I am happy that we were able to make your stay with us memorable. I can only imagine how busy the past few months have been with a new born baby. And to hear that you enjoyed our hotel as well as the service from our staff, let's us know that we've reached our goal! Please let us know when you are in the Santa Monica area again or looking for another romantic weekend with your spouse! We would love you to welcome you back! Thank you again for being our guest!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,968)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Great location within walking distance to everything. Situated right across the beach however there is a busy road in front of hotel. Once you shut the balcony door , you can't hear a thing!!! We had a suite facing the ocean.. Rooms are very comfortable and adequate - great sleep ,beds are fantastic as well as all the Bliss toiletries! Pool and hot tub are clean and great to sit around. At night there is a fire pit with comfy chairs but the pool is also a great area to sit and hang out. It's all lit and very pretty in the evening.. Getting food is not an issue cuz everything is just around the corner. No in house movies too bad cuz we just wanted to stay in and cozy up to enjoy a movie.However, I can't really rave about the service. Front desk personal were ok nothing outstanding.. They did not go out of their way to really make guests feel welcomed. Too bad cuz they can really be a special boutique hotel.

Room Tip: The front facing ocean room is a nice treat. The balcony is Great for sitting and chatting and peopl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4fortravel
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

4fortravel,

We appreciated your kind review about our property. I am glad to hear that your enjoyed the location, the comfortable rooms, and the toiletries. As Assistant Front Office Manager, it is concerning that you felt our staff did not go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. I will share this with my team and use it as a training opportunity, so that you or any of our guests will not experience the same thing. We strive to make things better with the feedback that you provide and I am very hopeful that you will stay with us again. I understand that you have a choice when traveling and wanted to thank you for choosing Shore Hotel!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I had an extremely pleasant visit at the Shore Hotel. The staff was accommodating, friendly, and professional. The room was in immaculate shape and the bed was very comfortable. I would highly recommend The Shore Hotel to any visitors staying in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Lisa D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feed back with us! I am happy to hear that the staff, condition of guest room and bed exceeded your expectations! I understand that your have a choice when traveling and wanted to thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We will definitely be staying here again. The hotel is gorgeous, our room immaculate, comfy bed, great bathroom and cute balcony. Perfect location with views of the beach and Santa Monica pier. The customer service we received was outstanding. Champagne on arrival, Kristina at reception really looked after us even after we had checked out. She allowed us to leave our phone charging behind reception, we were given a key to use the gym bathroom to change our clothes, we had use of the wifi in the foyer whilst waiting for our transport. Overall, the hotel is gorgeous and comfortable in a perfect location and the staff are very willing to help in any way they can.

• Stayed: March 2014

Ramez A,

I am happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Our goal is to ensure that each of our guests are receive top of the line customer service and experience a stay that is memorable! Thank you again for being our guests! Please let us know when you will be in the Santa Monica area, as we would like to be your destination of choice!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

First the good: Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Shore Hotel. It is a very nice, clean, and very trendy hotel near the Santa Monica Pier, restaurants and the Third Street Promenade. The "partial ocean view" room truthfully overlooks a parking lot and the back working end of a restaurant. But yes...through some trees, you can still see and hear the ocean. This place is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Generally, we had few complaints, but the one we do have is a biggie. Read on...

Now the bad: Our first impression once inside the lobby was not a good one. The registration clerk, who was nice and friendly, was too focused on chit-chatting with us about our vacation, where we are from, the difference between north and south Orange County, etc., and when she gave us the keys to our room, she wasn't paying attention to her work. When we got to the door of the room she told us we were in, our keys didn't work. Long story short, it took us a phone call AND another trip to to the front desk to make it right, as our phone call was apparently ignored or we were forgotten about. When we were given new keys, and our actual room number, everything was straightened out...but it was a chore on our part.

The moral of the story, for clerks everywhere, stop with the mindless, meaningless chit chat that you think is good customer service. Most of us find it uncomfortable, boring and stupid. Just focus on your jobs and get us to our rooms correctly. Deal?

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

nholmberg,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. At Shore Hotel, we encourage our associates to be personable with our guests. This allows our team to find out more information about you to make your experience memorable and to exceed your expectations. We treat every guest as a VIP and want you to feel at home when you stay with us.Please understand that this was not intended to make you feel uncomfortable nor was it to bore you. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Thank you.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I have been here 2 times now and we loved our stay in Santa Monica!! This hotel is crazy clean! The pool and hot tub are great for lounging - it was such a relaxing time there! The rooms are small but we didnt spend much time in them. From your room you can see into the washroom as they have a glass wall to make the room seem more "open" I really thought it worked because when I first seen it I thought it was silly... but it actually made the room flow. THEY DO HAVE A ROLLER SHADE THAT COMES DOWN WHEN YOU NEED PRIVACY so no panic there people! I would try to find some sort of deal before booking for those who dont like to spend much.. I so think for the price you pay here there should be a little more offered. Don't book facing ocean ave directly as it may get noisy - we booked just to the side of it facing the pool and it was perfect. The mini balcony they have is just enough to sit down and relax after a long day with a drink!
One thing I found though was that the staff were....I dunno how to put it.. stuck up? Rude? not friendly... It was hard to get information, you have to really remember to ask because they basically give you the room key and send you on your way... we pay a lot for that small room so a friendly staff goes a LONGGG way! I found the security for the place were SUPER nice and I would ask them all my questions!
That was my only concern though..

Location was great lots of food places and shopping just around the corner. Busses are VERY easy to figure out too if not renting a car!

Besides the staff, I give the hotel itself a 4/5!

Room Tip: Choose a side room facing the pool as it's not so close to the street where the traffic are plus...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad W
Joseph H, Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Brad W,

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your stay with us. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your vacation and soaked up the Santa Monica vibe. I will pass along your praise to our security team as they will be thrilled to know you found them to be nice and accommodating. However, I am very disappointed to know the Guest Service staff did not meet your expectations. I apologize on behalf of our team that we came across as not friendly. Our team works daily to provide friendly personable service and we simply dropped the ball during your visit. I will pass along this review to the staff as a reminder that each interaction counts and our engagement to the guests is our number one priority. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel and please join us again next time as I am confident our team will provide the type of 5 star services you deserve.

Joseph Heywood

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights not a week ago.

The good: great location, nice lobby, cool pool and friendly staff.

The bad: dirty carpets, small rooms and no restaurant.

The ugly: our room was located on the other side of the hotel which required taking 1 lift up 2 floors and another lift down 1 floor. This strange and off putting.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Greg M

Greg M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We find value in our guests feedback and are thankful to have such a forum for people to voice their experience. Our team is thrilled to know you found the location to be great, the pool to be cool and the staff to be friendly. However we are disappointed to see we missed the mark on other mentions. We currently have a program created to ensure each part of the hotel undergo deep carpet cleaning and will be sure to highlight this mention with our executives. Also, great news, our new on site restaurant will be opening in just a few months. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel as you destination of choose in Santa Monica. Please join us again soon once the restaurant is fully operating.

Joseph Heywood