“Location, service, comfortable”

Shore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We will definitely be staying here again. The hotel is gorgeous, our room immaculate, comfy bed, great bathroom and cute balcony. Perfect location with views of the beach and Santa Monica pier. The customer service we received was outstanding. Champagne on arrival, Kristina at reception really looked after us even after we had checked out. She allowed us to leave our phone charging behind reception, we were given a key to use the gym bathroom to change our clothes, we had use of the wifi in the foyer whilst waiting for our transport. Overall, the hotel is gorgeous and comfortable in a perfect location and the staff are very willing to help in any way they can.

• Stayed: March 2014
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Ramez A,

I am happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Our goal is to ensure that each of our guests are receive top of the line customer service and experience a stay that is memorable! Thank you again for being our guests! Please let us know when you will be in the Santa Monica area, as we would like to be your destination of choice!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,965)

Reviewed March 22, 2014

First the good: Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Shore Hotel. It is a very nice, clean, and very trendy hotel near the Santa Monica Pier, restaurants and the Third Street Promenade. The "partial ocean view" room truthfully overlooks a parking lot and the back working end of a restaurant. But yes...through some trees, you can still see and hear the ocean. This place is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Generally, we had few complaints, but the one we do have is a biggie. Read on...

Now the bad: Our first impression once inside the lobby was not a good one. The registration clerk, who was nice and friendly, was too focused on chit-chatting with us about our vacation, where we are from, the difference between north and south Orange County, etc., and when she gave us the keys to our room, she wasn't paying attention to her work. When we got to the door of the room she told us we were in, our keys didn't work. Long story short, it took us a phone call AND another trip to to the front desk to make it right, as our phone call was apparently ignored or we were forgotten about. When we were given new keys, and our actual room number, everything was straightened out...but it was a chore on our part.

The moral of the story, for clerks everywhere, stop with the mindless, meaningless chit chat that you think is good customer service. Most of us find it uncomfortable, boring and stupid. Just focus on your jobs and get us to our rooms correctly. Deal?

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

nholmberg,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. At Shore Hotel, we encourage our associates to be personable with our guests. This allows our team to find out more information about you to make your experience memorable and to exceed your expectations. We treat every guest as a VIP and want you to feel at home when you stay with us.Please understand that this was not intended to make you feel uncomfortable nor was it to bore you. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Thank you.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I have been here 2 times now and we loved our stay in Santa Monica!! This hotel is crazy clean! The pool and hot tub are great for lounging - it was such a relaxing time there! The rooms are small but we didnt spend much time in them. From your room you can see into the washroom as they have a glass wall to make the room seem more "open" I really thought it worked because when I first seen it I thought it was silly... but it actually made the room flow. THEY DO HAVE A ROLLER SHADE THAT COMES DOWN WHEN YOU NEED PRIVACY so no panic there people! I would try to find some sort of deal before booking for those who dont like to spend much.. I so think for the price you pay here there should be a little more offered. Don't book facing ocean ave directly as it may get noisy - we booked just to the side of it facing the pool and it was perfect. The mini balcony they have is just enough to sit down and relax after a long day with a drink!
One thing I found though was that the staff were....I dunno how to put it.. stuck up? Rude? not friendly... It was hard to get information, you have to really remember to ask because they basically give you the room key and send you on your way... we pay a lot for that small room so a friendly staff goes a LONGGG way! I found the security for the place were SUPER nice and I would ask them all my questions!
That was my only concern though..

Location was great lots of food places and shopping just around the corner. Busses are VERY easy to figure out too if not renting a car!

Besides the staff, I give the hotel itself a 4/5!

Room Tip: Choose a side room facing the pool as it's not so close to the street where the traffic are plus...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad W
Joseph H, Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Brad W,

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your stay with us. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your vacation and soaked up the Santa Monica vibe. I will pass along your praise to our security team as they will be thrilled to know you found them to be nice and accommodating. However, I am very disappointed to know the Guest Service staff did not meet your expectations. I apologize on behalf of our team that we came across as not friendly. Our team works daily to provide friendly personable service and we simply dropped the ball during your visit. I will pass along this review to the staff as a reminder that each interaction counts and our engagement to the guests is our number one priority. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel and please join us again next time as I am confident our team will provide the type of 5 star services you deserve.

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights not a week ago.

The good: great location, nice lobby, cool pool and friendly staff.

The bad: dirty carpets, small rooms and no restaurant.

The ugly: our room was located on the other side of the hotel which required taking 1 lift up 2 floors and another lift down 1 floor. This strange and off putting.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Greg M

Greg M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We find value in our guests feedback and are thankful to have such a forum for people to voice their experience. Our team is thrilled to know you found the location to be great, the pool to be cool and the staff to be friendly. However we are disappointed to see we missed the mark on other mentions. We currently have a program created to ensure each part of the hotel undergo deep carpet cleaning and will be sure to highlight this mention with our executives. Also, great news, our new on site restaurant will be opening in just a few months. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel as you destination of choose in Santa Monica. Please join us again soon once the restaurant is fully operating.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

When we stayed at the Shore Hotel last year, we had the best experience in our service with the manager "Joseph Heywood".
On countless occasions we were taken care of through his service and professionalism.
...and we will be back!!
Joseph made our stay one of the best we have ever experienced while traveling and we would recommend him to anyone.

Don Dale and family
Principal of APMS

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank don d

don d,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your kind words and welcoming insight regarding your stay with us last year. We value each guest’s feedback and are truly honored by your review. Thank you for also recognizing our unique green features. Please join us again next time your travels bring you to Santa Monica.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed 2 nights and found the location superb! Other good features, state-of-the-art shower, great jacuzzi, ample towels, and decor chic elegant, has a nice modern clean appeal. I did not particularly like that there were price tags on the slippers and beach towels; if you use, you buy it! They shoudl have been in the store downstairs, all amenities in the room should be part of the room rate. I was charged for 2 nights parking even though we were there only 1 night, at a rate of $38.50 per night. Kristin, the Sales Manager, credited my account right away once I told her of the error. We stayed at another hotel the following night which did not charge for parking if you "self-park". Given the price of the rooms, I think there shoudl be complimentary coffeee in the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

pcassidy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities on site during your stay. However, I am regretful to hear that there was an error with the additional posting with valet parking and that you felt you did not receive the value paid. We take your comments and feedback very seriously and are determined to make your next stay exceptional. Please let me know when you will be in the Santa Monica area again as I would like to be your main contact when you're here. I am hopeful that you will give us another chance and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I love this hotel, the truth is we will return. But they have hopes of being number one on Trip Advisor - they need to up their game.

The style of the hotel is modern and cool, the pool, hot tub and lounging area that allows you to admire the architecture and the palm trees is great. Don't forget about the huge plus of Blue Plate Taco.

But the hotel was let down by staff. All lovely people who were clearly trying to provide good service. But not hitting their mark. Our room was never made up properly - once not until 5pm when we were back in it. And no less than six requests to reception (small things, like can you please send some coffee up as house keeping forgot it) all got missed, never happened and promises broken.

Two other's at check out expressed the same thing.

Please go there, it's great, but be ready to voice and re-voice your requests as they really do over promise and under deliver.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

juddj,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I wanted to apologize that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay. We take your feedback very seriously and strive to make improvements with your comments. We will use your experience as a training opportunity, so that you or any of our guest will not experience this again. And I will also speak with the departments involved. I understand that you have a choice when traveling and I am hopeful that you will give us another chance. Thank you again for being our guest!