“Great location and facilities”
Review of Shore Hotel

Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Location is great in Santa Monica, close to the shopping areas and right in front of the beach, facilities are more than adequate, just looking forward for breakfast and bar in the premises.
Gim area is rather small and can get very busy, spa i did not check and do not know if there is one...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Jserrenho,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our property and that your stay with us exceeded your expectations. I am also happy to announce that we will be adding a new restuarant to our property in the next few months. When it is completed we would love to invite you and your family back to experience this great addition to our property. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,026)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Pros:
- Good location, across road from pier/beach and walking distance to shops
- Nice modem rooms
- Modern bathroom
- Great toiletries included (Aveda products)
- Complimentary Wifi included and available for more than 1 device at a time
- Most front desk staff were helpful - Dallana (though pronounced Diana i believe) was very helpful and pleasant; she also printed out some tickets for us for our Six Flags trip
- Staff gave us an hour extra for check out as we needed to go and source extra luggage - we didnt end up needing it but it was great to have that extra flexibility

Cons:
- Expensive valet parking $35 (we parked 1 night valet the next night in a parking station around the corner for $14)
- The rooms feel a little corporate - not very homely
- Service at front desk could be better. We had booked a room that had 2 queen beds in it (it was all that was left on Expedia) and then asked if there were others when we arrived with only 1 bed - there was a king size room with partial ocean view but were told it wouldnt be ready yet, the host checked with housekeeping when it would be - we were told 40 mins and we'd get a text. We agreed on this as it wouldnt be too long, went for a stroll and then came back, 40 mins had passed and it was almost an hour later and no text. I checked with the front desk and they checked again with house keeping for us. Cleaning was done but an inspection was now needed which 'usually takes about 5 mins'. More than 10 mins passed, hadn't heard anything again - checked again with front desk and the room was done. They apologised as it was busy.
- The partial ocean view rooms are not really worth it. You need to sit in a corner on the balcony to actually get any ocean view. The rest of the view is of the hotel's roof next door. I think you'd need to either book a full ocean view room if you want the view, or just stick to a city view room.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay. I think the cost of the rooms was a little high but you pay a bit more in Santa Monica than other parts of LA.

Room Tip: Dont bother with a partial ocean view room for the extra cost
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debrahrah
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

debrahrah,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property as well as the amenities that are in the room. I wanted to apologize on behalf of the front desk of the experience you had at check in, I understand that you were awaiting our call and we did not follow through with that. I will share your experience with my team and ensure that this will not occur again. I would like to invite you back to our property when you come back to Santa Monica to visit or just need a trip away from home! Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was really looking forward to the stay at this Hotel as the reviews were excellent. The frustrating part is it didn't start well. The welcome at reception was average and it seemed some people got a welcome drink and not others. Maybe that was due to the fact we had our kids with us, who knows. There was little communication except when pointed out the cost of Valet Parking. I even had to ask directions to the lifts. Maybe a smile next time; I’m a tourist I have a funny accent, surely that is a little interesting.
The rooms are clean, modern and have a very light feel. While on the small size for a family, it's not a show stopper. The pool was relaxing and we enjoyed the spa after a long day. The rest of the staff were friendly which helped me forget about our arrival. One gentleman who looked after the pool was telling us about the history of the Santa Monica Bay. It was very interesting and what a nice guy.
The best feature of this hotel is its location; it's a short walk to the promenade or the pier.
There is no restaurant in the hotel but right next door is the Blue Taco, which serves good Mexican food.
The hotel is not cheap however we enjoyed our stay. The positives out way the negatives and upon check out, reception did credit us a nights Valet Parking for any inconvenience. This was appreciated but being our last stop before we flew back to NZ, we did have high expectations. Oh well thanks Santa Monica and the US for a great family holiday!

Room Tip: Upgrade to beach view, it's not a lot more.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1Stylie1

1stylie1,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your feedback means a lot to myself and the team. I wanted to apologize for your experience upon arrival. I will bring it to the attention of my team and use it as a training opportunity, so that you or any of our guests, will not experience the same thing. I am happy to hear that the remainder of your stay did go well. Please let me know when you will be back to Santa Monica as I would like to offer a special rate due to the inconvenience you encountered upon arrival. Thank you again for being our guest!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Shore Hotel is a thoroughly modern hotel in a great location for access to the Pacific Ocean, Santa Monica Pier, restaurants, shopping, the Getty Center, Beverly Hills and Hollywood. The see-through shower walls from the bedroom to the bathroom are interesting. Although there is a pool and a poolside bar, we did not use either but they were appealing. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UwchlanJohn

UwchlanJohn,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. Our team strives to ensure that we exceed the expectations of each and every one of our guests. Please let me know when you will make it back to the Santa Monica area! Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We used this hotel for a mini conference. The meeting room was located next to the pool, which can be tantalizing at most and distracting at worst. It is a spartan space but the minimal look keeps you focused on the business on hand. The hotel does not have a dining option other than room service. The Blue Taco is the only option, which we did not try.

Rooms are well appointed with own coffee machines (pity about the cardboard cups... ). Housekeeping seem less particular to remove used glasses etc.

With all this said. We had a good stay. Our room faced the service road, drunks and homeless folk did make overtures on occasions, but when the door was closed this was not too bad. The staff were friendly and obliging to our needs.

Location is excellent. Busses stop on the corner and the proximity to Pacific Place Mall is convenient. We hired bikes on our off day and toured SM which is a great way of exploring the town. Third St promenade is close by too.

Great for both business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for sea facing
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelgigg
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Travelgigg,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property, as it is a feature that truly enhances your stay. I would like to apologize for the used coffee cup that was left in your room. It is certainly not acceptable for us to have missed this significant detail. With your feedback, our team will strive to make the necessary improvements. Additionally, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Shore Hotel and hope that you make us your destination of choice when visiting Santa Monica. Thank you for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Shore Hotel was pure serendipity for us. From the moment we walked through the crystal clear doors and looked around to see all of Santa Monica welcoming me from behind the glass curtain, I was mesmerized.
This hip, eco-friendly, modernly appointed seaside gem welcomes you with open arms. Beds are comfortable and the AVEDA put us over the moon. Loved loved loved the shower.
Book your room now, you won't be disappointed.
See you soon, Shore Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mari H

Mari H,

We are glad to hear that we were able to provide the " Perfect Getaway" experience. Our team does our best to ensure that our guest receive top of the line service as well as amenities from the moment you arrive, until the moment that you depart. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Shore a couple of times, most recently this past weekend. They were excellent all around! The location is perfect, as it's right on Ocean (across from the beach and famous Santa Monica Pier), within a couple of blocks to all of the fantastic shopping (Promenade and Santa Monica Place), and surrounded by a gazillion great restaurants.
We loved our room which faced directly West, with unobstructed ocean, pier and sunset views. The decor is contemporary and clean, and very comfortable.
We've stayed at several of Santa Monica's best hotels, and I would honestly say the Shore is right up there as one of my favorites. We will definitely be back!
(worthy of mention, they have a pool and jacuzzi, and truly this hotel is great for all ages, occasions, and families too.) Love it!!

Room Tip: Choose one with an ocean view if you can. Worth it!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lori S

Lori D,

I am so thrilled to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your trip to our property. Your feedback means a lot to us, as we strive to ensure that we are providing our guests with experiences such as yours! I am hopeful that you will make Shore Hotel your destination of choice when visiting Santa Monica. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon!