“Love this place!”

Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Well, we had too many margaritas at Blue Plate Coyote, so we stayed at Shore. It's super attractive and the staff is great. What's more, I had an issue with a charge. I spoke to Danielle about it. She assured me that the charges I was talking about would be gone in a couple days max (they were only reserve charges for incidentals). However, she said that if there were still issues, just call her back. A few days go by and all the fees were gone except one. So, I called Danielle, she wasn't there that day but a message was left for her. Unexpectedly, I got a phone call later that same day from Danielle. She just wanted to know that she had received my message and that she was getting to the bottom of it. Wow, I didn't have to do anything or call her. The next day, she called me again and asked for me to screenshot the charge in question as it showed up on my online banking. Double WOW, I never had to call her. She had called me every time and had been more than pro-active. Finally, she called me the following day and she had figured out what it was. Turns out, it was their ATM machine. Of course, I was mortified that I had wasted so much of her time chasing the charge that was legitimate. I know how valuable people's time is and I apologized profusely. I guess what I am trying to say is that the customer service was off the charts amazing. I only had to call one time to have my "issue" looked into and from that point forward, Shore Hotel staff called me. This is how businesses should be run! Kudos to them. BTW, the rooms are great and there are a ton of ocean view rooms. The pool is fantastic and the location is unbeatable. Thanks!!!! One more thing, our room was right about the Blue Plate Taco and the NOISY street. However, the noise was insignificant when you close your sliding glass door. This place is solidly built and they didn't skimp but it's still casual and comfortable.

2  Thank E_the_T
Write a ReviewReviews (3,026)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I booked this hotel because I wanted to stay in a location that would help us recover from a great but tiring 14 day coach tour of the East Coast and Canada. I booked an Ocean View Premier room with King Bed.

The Hotel more than met our criteria. The room had great ocean views plus the Santa Monica pier was just over the road. The room and the bathroom were both spacious and the bed and furnishings modern and comfortable.

We greatly appreciated the gift from Dallana for our 50th Wedding Anniversary.

The room was extremely quiet both day and night when the door overlooking Ocean Drive was closed. Noise was also not a problem with the door open.

While we didn't try the pool we did have a great time swimming in the ocean and taking long walks along the great beachfront footpaths.

There are a number of shops in Third Avenue and any amount of restaurants and cafes in the area. The area is extremely popular with tourists with large numbers of people walking along Ocean Drive both during the day and night.

LAX was a nightmare on our departure day. We took a taxi at 6:00 a.m. for an American Airlines flight departing for Honolulu at 8:00 a.m. Bad mistake. The Book-in process was not what I expected and was somewhat delayed plus the amount of people at the airport was incredible. Also boarding tickets were not given out until we finally got to the Gate.If doing it again, I would allow at least two and a half hours at the airport itself.

1  Thank JagBallina
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

JagBallina,

Thank you so much for taking the time share your experience with us! I am happy to hear that we not only met your expectations but exceeded them. I would also like to thank you for your kind feedback about Dallana. I will definitely share those comments with her! We do our best her at Shore Hotel to train our team to provide service that is above and beyond! Thank you again for being our guest! We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I started off by rating this as poor but at the end of writing this, came back to change it to terrible because of the total lack of concern by management.
Santa Monica is a lovely place. We came here for a day visit some years ago and never really imagined we would return for a longer stay, but going to some gigs in LA meant we had a few days before we needed to be in downtown LA.
We were staying 5 nights in Santa Monica and looked on trip advisor for the hotel with good reviews.
We phoned from the UK to make sure the room we were booking was the room we were going to get, having read everything on trip advisor about the smells, views, noise etc.
So, we set off from the Isle of Wight in the UK and some 48 hours later with about 2 hours sleep between us, we reached the Shore Hotel. Now to set the scene - my wife and i work insane hours. This was our chance for some very very much required downtime.
Check in was with Mary who was lovely - however, be warned, the hotel will offer NOT to change your towels and NOT to change your bed linen to help save the planet and you save $10 per night. Saying no thanks to this and to ask to have house keeping service the room, made me feel like I was asking for something unreasonable. Be prepared, because this puts you on the spot!
They had managed to give us the room we pretty much asked for. Elevators are probably the best I've ever come across ( apart from 1 hotel in Dubai ) - quick and silent.
Now to the room - privacy in the bathroom is a real problem. Essentially the shower has a clear glass wall on the outside and inside. The shower separates the bedroom from the toilet and bathroom. So if you sit on the toilet or use the shower or sink, anyone in the bedroom can see everything. There is an electric roller blind operated from inside the bathroom which lowers in the bedroom to cover the glass shower wall. HOWEVER, being a roller blind the edges are held away from the glass. So, if you want to use the toilet in private you will need to ask whoever is in the room to actually sit on the bed and not move whilst you use the toilet. NOT IDEAL.
Now we were dead tired. We wanted a shower then sleep. SHOWER?? a new name would be 'trickle'. The 'trickle' is just that. There had been a problem with our shower valve historically as the silicone around the valve had been peeled back and not replaced properly. We struggled to switch the shower on ( very stiff valve ) and when it did come on it was just a trickle - however this trickle was the shower operating normally. The lack of warm water was also a problem. We did however have warm water in the basin (not hot ). Not a problem, we'll sort it in the morning.

Now for sleep. Or not. The traffic noise is horrendous. Between the hotel and the beach is like 6 lanes of traffic, horns, police sirens, car alarms, valet parking with doors slamming etc etc. We had read that the glazing and doors were really good. We hadn't put the air con on. We managed to drift in and out of sleep. Then the toilet refills itself. Then it does it again so we flush it hoping the seal will sort itself. No! So we turn the water supply off from underneath the cistern. Then we get the slamming of the doors from the neighbours - wow they slam!!!
Now despite all this, in the morning we spoke to the hotel manager and explained the problems and asked him to sort them. We were very polite. He was apologetic and said he'd get someone straight on it.
What would have been nice, after having had no sleep for essentially 3 days now was to maybe put a note in the room saying that everything had been fixed or even a bowl of fruit, or bottle of wine as an apology.
So the 2nd night. Hot water! Yey! Shower still pathetic. Now this is a 'green' hotel and the idea of having a feeble shower is to save water. Forget the fact that you have to stay in the shower for like 15mins to get wet!! Now to the sleep. We decide to put the air conditioning on and this in fact takes away the traffic noise. So we are just dozing off when the toilet starts to refill ( this time its going into the overflow not drawing from the flush ) SO we turn it off again. Of course if you get up in the night to use it, you've got to lean down under the cistern and turn the valve on and then off again. Not the best. So back to sleep sort of - woken by what sounds like a truck reversing beep in the distance. This continues. Then i think its a car alarm. So you pull the pillow over your head and try to sleep. 1am, 2am, 3am you suddenly think - hang on, maybe its an iPod or iphone alarm going off that we've put in the safe. So up i get again and as i walk towards the safe i realise the alarm noise is coming from by the door to the room. It was actually coming from the vent over the door. So we turn off the aircon and it goes. Heaven, except for the traffic - there's like a road sweeper outside now. What? 20mins later we switch the aircon back on and no alarm noise - for about an hour then it comes back.
So night 2 in the hotel with no sleep. 4 nights in total no sleep. We get the computer out to look for somewhere else to stay before going down to reception. Spoke to the assistant manager and he offered to fix the room's problems which we declined then he offered to move us which we accepted. Its always a pain moving rooms but it was that or change hotel so we had no choice.
Again, no note of apology or flowers in the room.
3rd night we slept!
Now to the rest of the hotel. The pool is very small for the size of hotel and the number of guests. It is separated from the busy road by a glass screen so don't expect it to be restful. There are very limited sun beds so you have to keep an eye open for one to be available. The lounging area to the side of the pool was closed off on the 2 occasions we used the pool, once for a wedding shower and once for some sort of sales pitch - yes they hire this area out and close it off to the guests.
They have pastries and coffee available to purchase in the morning. $4.50 for a pastry. There is a coffee shop just around the corner
There's no bar or restaurant - we hadn't realised when we booked. I note that they are applying to build a bar/restaurant.
The view from the balcony is marred by the homeless people sleeping on the grassed areas opposite the hotel.
The gym is tiny.
Now for check out. We had a flight we needed to catch and needed to leave the hotel at 8.15am and so booked a car. At 8am we came down to check out. Derek served us. He made no mention of our problems and told us our credit card would be charged. I asked how much, assuming they would credit us for our troubles. He knew nothing about our issues. I asked to see the manager ( again, very politely, i don't get angry or loud ). Management only work 9-5. He said i can wait until 9am. I explained about the car waiting for us and the flight. He advised there was nothing he could do and suggested I wait til 9. Now this frustrates me because i've just told him about the flight so i suggested he call the airline and ask them to delay the flight for us. He then asked why we hadn't sorted out the rebate before - i had mistakenly assumed management would sort it out without me need to ask and i am always keen to give people the opportunity to make things right off their own back. So he agrees not to charge the card straight away and to get Joseph to get in touch,
Emails were exchanged but not to my satisfaction.
They haven't responded to my follow up, nor my reminder to respond. They have however taken the money. When you are spending $2,300 on a hotel stay you expect things to be right.
So to sum it up, what could be a really nice hotel experience was totally ruined by both the facilities and the total lack of concern and understanding by management.
If the hotel chooses to respond to this please don't apologize for our disappointing stay and then go on to say you are pleased we enjoyed 'check in' or the quiet lifts.

2  Thank BrainLinda
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

PaulLins,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We will pass along your praise to Mary as she will be pleased to hear how lovely you found her to be during check in. Knowing we seldom receive negative reviews it was important for us as a hotel to reach out to you first hand in an effort to rectify your concerns. Unfortunately after each attempt to provide service recovery, with an open line of communication in a sensitive nature, we were unable to accommodate your desires. As mentioned when we spoke, we would love to invite you back to experience the true nature of our hotel as we are quite confident your stay would ring with tones of excellence as majority of our reviews state on Trip Advisor, tallying over 560 excellent ratings. Thank you again for choosing Shore Hotel and we look forward to winning back your business.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed here one night in an Ocean View One Bedroom Suite. Hotel is modern, very clean and ideally located for pier, shops and restaurants. Nice check-in with a glass of champagne. Excellent valet with a dedicated waiting lounge in the parking garage. What we did not like was that our suite was above the Mexican restaurant (not part of the hotel), the smell in the room was that of a kitchen sometimes, We could not open the balcony door or sit there...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The room was clean and the bathroom was very modern. We were welcomed at the front desk with a glass of champagne.
I had reserved a Ocean View room but I had to go on the balcony and lean over in order to see the ocean, not exactly how I expected it.
We left our bags at the front desk for the bell service to bring them to our rooms. Once the man arrived with our bags, one of them was missing. He informed me he hadn't seen it. After about 20mins of panic, he eventually found my bag and brought it to the room.
There is a convenient mini-bar and snacks provided in the room but they are the most expensive in-room items I've ever seen. Needless to say, we didn't indulge.
The hotel is located on Ocean Avenue which is a quick walk away from the Santa Monica Pier and the Third Promenade which was great.
The pool area and hot tub were nice and clean.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here as a group of friends September 2013 after reading lots of reviews on here. It is the number one hotel in Santa Monica.
We've stayed in many nice hotels and this looked really promising.
Check in was smooth and we were offered a glass of champagne - nice touch
The room was sadly disappointing. Very clean but the privacy in the bathroom is a real issue to the point I used the toilet in the lobby area on occasions when my room mate was in the room. Not ideal. This is because the curtain that shields the toilet is on the outside and when the balcony doors are open the curtain blows in the breeze and exposes you.
Air conditioning was ok but noisy.
The traffic outside is very very very noisy and the smell from the restaurant below is unpleasant. , not the hotel's restaurant
The pool is much too small but nice, but again noisy
We had cause to complain to management over the lack of hot water and the slow shower. As we only stayed 2 nights /3 days this wasn't too much of an issue.
Location is good for the pier and main street shopping although i'm not too sure what the attraction is to the pier. It is currently undergoing works with a large crane on it.
Tried to use the gym but it is very small and the machines were in use - no big deal but it was a bit hot to go running at the time.
If we were staying longer we would have asked to change rooms to maybe something bigger if they had it.
There is no bar or restaurant which was disappointing

Room Tip: Ask for a room not above the restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank William C
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

William C,

Thank you for the reviews. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding your stay. I do apologize that you were disappointed with our unique layout and fthe shower eatures in the room. I am pleased to know that you experienced a smooth and efficient check in. We are currently developing our on-site Restaurant and Bar which will be up and operation soon. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel during your travels to Santa Monica!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013. I had been to the hotel before as a friend of a guest and thought it to be a nice place on the surface. I had stayed at another hotel at the time not far from the Shore. I'd read the reviews, ignored the bad bits thinking they were just one offs.
First, the traffic noise is loud. If you are from a noisy area this might not be a problem for you. The moment you open the balcony door you know about it big time.
The lobby is nice, got comp glass of champagne on checking in. Room was really clean. Privacy in the bathroom is like everyone else says. It is a real problem they need to address.I certainly couldn't share with friends. They ask you if you want your stay without house keeping for money off your bill but that is why i pay for a expensive hotel.
The swimming pool is very tiny and there were poorly behaved children screaming constantly in the pool.. The pool attendant ignored this. Also, people would put towels and books on the sun beds then go away and disappear for hours to then return later to re-use the beds. One family in particular took 6 beds and then vanished for lunch. Again, the attendant chose to ignore this behaviour - many guests would come down and have to sit on normal chairs as the few beds were taken. The jacuzzi didn't appear to work when you switched the timer dial up.
I had a room near the restaurant below - avoid this as it is both noisy with patrons and smelly with cooking. I left my swimwear on my balcony and it really smelled to the point i had to wash it before wearing. The rooms are fairly small for the price you would expect more.
The gym is tiny - not representative of a hotel of this calibre. The chairs on the balcony were also dirty. I sat on one only to have to change my clothes as i was covered in traffic dust.
The bathroom is lovely but the shower is infuriating. You have to shower for 10 times as long as hardly any water comes out. I think this is them trying to save water which rather defeats the object. And the hair dryer? That is tiny, take your own dryer.
Valet is expensive - really expensive.
I think this hotel plays on its location. Santa Monica is a beautiful area where you will always have a great time and this hotel uses this feel good factor. If this hotel was in downtown LA it would have bad reviews compared to the others - my opinion
I had cause to speak to the manager over the noise from other guests in the hallway outside my room but he didn't seem to show concern saying he couldn't stop the other guests slamming doors. At 3am when this is happening it is not funny. Not for two nights running.
Would I stay again? No, friends stayed at the Georgian and loved it so i will go there next time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

PinkFunhouse,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your feedback is much appreciated as it allows our team to locate areas of improvement. I do apologize that you were disrupted during your stay with the slamming of guest doors. Our main focus is to ensure our guests are happy and comfortable during their stay and we will do everything possible to make sure our guests are secure. Unfortunately we dropped the ball during the evening you experience the loud noises. I will contact your account in an effort to pinpoint exactly what happen so we can learn from this experience., please accept our apologize. If you are in the area and would like to try our property again please contact me directly so we can accommodate your stay as I am confident your next experience will surpass your expectations providing a unique and enjoyable stay. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel.

Thanks,