“Wonderful stay”

Shore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We booked the Shore Hotel for a four night night stay in September 2013. We stayed in a garden view and are a family of four. The rooms are amazing and yes the glass shower gave our kids endless amusement but we're laid back about things like that. The rainhead shower was lovely after walking around all day too. The pool and spa were great and there were always enough sunbeds for the four of us.

Great location for us as we didn't have a car. In particular we loved having only to walk 20m to get to the hop on, hop off sightseeing bus to see the rest of LA. The third street promenade is an easy walk and we went there most days to do some shopping or to dine.

The front desk staff were so friendly on our arrival and made us feel very welcome. A big thank you to Randall and Israel who helped us with our load of bags at the end of our stay, it was much appreciated.

Would highly recommend Shore Hotel and definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Nic 1,

On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for such an excellent review on Shore Hotel. Providing you and your family with a wonderful stay is extremely rewarding and a great honor. Since the beginning we have set out to deliver great service combined with amazing style. Knowing you felt so welcomed by our staff is a true testament to this mission. I will pass along your praise to all of them, especially Randall and Israel. Also, thank you so much for mentioning our garden rooms. Many people do not realize we have a second building with a quiet garden area because they are so focused on the pool in the front building. However, as you noticed, our beautiful garden area is a peaceful sanctuary with comfortable lounge furniture to create the ultimate relaxation. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for Shore Hotel

Reviewed September 27, 2013

My Wife and me stayed here for 4 days in may. We did order seaview, but didn't get it, and had to wait one day for it. For us the view was essential, for others it may be nothing. Some of the rooms in the south-east part of the hotel has useless balconies, due to big noicy airfans from neighbour restaurant. The rooms with seaview is perfect, and don't suffer from anything. The hotel has a perfect location, next to the beach and shopping, and a 20 minutes drive to Beverly Hills. The service and rooms are very good, and the gentlemens helping with luggage and anything else is great. Especially Randy did an exceptional service, thank you!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Bjarte M,

Thank you so much for your review. Being that the view is essential, I am thrilled you were able to experience one of our amazing ocean premiere rooms. The view from that room is simply outstanding. Also, I am very pleased to hear that you were impressed with our service. I will pass along your praise to all of them, especially Randall. He is a great example of our team’s willingness and readiness to go above and beyond for each guest ensuring total guest satisfaction. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I'm going write mostly about the negatives because all the positive things I can say about this hotel have already been noted numerous times by other reviewers. For me it was mainly the outstanding location, views, and friendliness of the staff.

1) When I pay $35 for valet service, I expect top notch service. The problem I have is not with the valet people themselves (they were all nice and helpful) but with the valet process itself. Two times I arrived back at the hotel around 10:30pm and both times I had to drive my car myself down to P1 to get my car parked. This to me is more of a self-park service than valet, no? In the day time you can pull up to the hotel entrance but 10:30pm on a summer night is not very late, they should keep the valet service open later. In addition, every time I am leaving the hotel, the car must be picked up in P1 and I have to drive it myself out of the garage and swipe my card at the gate to get out. Again, does this not sound like a self-park service? The whole point of valet is so that you can drive up to the hotel, get out, and not worry about the car. Likewise when you want your car you should be able to just call for it, exit the front door and go, without the hassle of navigating a garage and clearing a gate. I've stayed elsewhere in LA (London West Hollywood and W) and their valet service is what you would expect. For Shore, they need to offer a cheaper self-parking option because that is essentially what you are doing with this over-priced "valet" service.

2) I don't understand why they decided to have a glass wall for the shower that lets you see into the bedroom. When is that ever functional or practical? If you are sharing a room with someone you aren't comfortable being seen naked around, then don't bother staying here. There is a blind that can be lowered, but the blinds are in the bedroom and NOT in the shower, so if you are showering you have no control over someone pulling the blind back to sneak a peak. So you need some serious trust with the person(s) you are staying with. This extends to the toilet too, as from the balcony I could see across the bedroom, into the shower and to the toilet. You never have a sense of total privacy while in the bathroom. The glass shower door also does a poor job of preventing water from leaking on the floor and creating a puddle.

Those are my two biggest gripes that I needed to detail. But it didn't prevent me from enjoying my stay at this hotel and I would still recommend it because it is a beautiful, modern hotel with great restaurants, sites, and shops within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you get a room that requires you to traverse two elevators to get to, change it.
1  Thank 251Lawrence
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

251Lawrence,

Thank you for taking the time to provide readers with feedback regarding your stay. Feedback such as yours allows our team to locate areas of improvement. I will address your concerns with our Valet Manger and look into improving this service. Even though you did have two understandable concerns with your stay I am glad to hear you didn’t let it spoil the rest of your trip. If you decide to visit our property again I suggest booking one of our King Ocean Suites which do not have the all glass showers providing more security when in the restroom area. Thank you choosing Shore Hotel!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at the Shore for 2 nights in September. The location is perfect in Santa Monica - easy to walk to the beach, Santa Monica Pier and the 2nd ave promenade/shops. The service at the hotel was spot on. We really enjoyed the pool and drinks service. The room was modern, clean and comfortable. We were a little disappointed with our 'partial ocean view'.

Mr and Mrs C

We appreciate your review and are glad to see how much you enjoyed our poolside service. We agree that the location cannot be beat providing our guests with all that Santa Monica has to offer at your footstep. Please join us again next time and contact me directly so I can ensure you get a full ocean view. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel as your travel destination!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked Shore Hotel for one night through their company website which was less expensive than the Expedia type sites. Nothing is inexpensive in Santa Monica but this hotel was worth every cent. The cool hip (but not too hip!) modern hotel was perfect all the way around. From the nice valet waiting area down in the garage to the comfortable clean quiet bedroom near the pool. Staff was always helpful and friendly. The location was perfect. It is one block to the Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade is 2 blocks behind the hotel. Easily walkable and safe environment.

gimmefivebend,

Thank you for the kind review. We are glad to hear you found both your stay and our property of value. Our team strives each day to provide exceptional service and to know you found our staff friendly and helpful is truly rewarding. Next time your travels brings you to Santa Monica please feel free to call us directly so we can accommodate your next visit.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We are on a road trip from Indiana. We thought we wanted to visit Santa Monica. In looking for hotels we realized this seemed to be the place to stay. If we had it to do over again we just would have went to a different area all together.

First impressions were the valet. They were very rude and RUSHED us. I hate being rushed especially at the price we were paying for the night. We stayed in a premium ocean view room. Yeah the view was pretty. In the distance there was the ocean. In the middle was pure chaos of people, homeless and lots of traffic. The sliding glass door really did block the noise which really shocked me. No microwave. No room in the fridge. There was only WAY OVER PRICED items in there instead. Plus the snacks on the cabinet. $7 for a small seriously small bag of M&Ms? I know you're paying for the area. Still ridiculous price for what you get. So if you're paying for the area....I'll leave with this advice...Go somewhere else. We didn't even go over to the pier. It didn't seem safe especially for my 15 year old son in a wheelchair. Lesson learned wouldn't go to Santa Monica again.

Katie G,

Thank you so much for your review. Being a newer property every review is beneficial for it allows us to know how we are performing on every level. That being said, I would like to apologize you felt the valet was rude and rushed you. That is completely unacceptable and I have forwarded your review onto the valet manager. We have an amazing group of hoteliers that truly care for each guest, and I can assure your interaction is definitely not the norm. Also, we are extremely saddened to see you did not enjoy Santa Monica. As noted by the many other excellent reviews, it is an amazing destination with beauty and excitement all around, and I am sorry you did not have that experience. On a brighter note, I am pleased you felt the view was pretty. Our Ocean Premiere rooms certainly allow for a spectacular review. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Lovely, modern boutique hotel on the ocean. The place was built just two years ago. As a result, it has all the small, modern conveniences that help make your stay just a little nicer: oversized hot tub by the pool, great balconies overlooking the ocean, and specious rooms with modern amenities including quite climate control and a killer bathroom.

The hotel is located right across the street from the Santa Monica Pier, and just around the corner from the 4th Street walking mall. There is also a great roadside park across the street that is elevated above the ocean and stretches about 1.5 miles, which means it provides a wonderfully scenic 3-mile jogging loop. While the beach across the street is beautiful, you can also walk to Venus Beach to take in all it has to offer. Lots of restaurants around the hotel that offer a smorgasbord of cuisines. Also, the hotel is conveniently surrounded by bus routes that can take you to all of the major sites within Los Angeles, so feel free to land at LAX, take a cab to the hotel and never bother with a rental car.

Bottom line: we (middle-aged couple with no kids) loved this place, which provided great customer service, and would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I prepaid to save a couple of bucks, and used the savings to upgrade to an ocean-view room, which wa...
1  Thank zekevt
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

zekevt,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I find your review to be both informative and of great value. A review tailored to mainly the surrounding areas allows readers the opportunity to really get a feel and understanding of how centrally located Shore Hotel is. You touched on many great features that make Santa Monica unique and all of which you mentioned is just out front Shore Hotel's doors. Thank you again and we look forward to your return a soon!