“Underwhelmed”

Shore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 25, 2013

All the reviews in the press as well as the rates and the location (convenient for visiting the yoga teacher training) made me expect way more than the real life experience. Part of it is due to the architecture and interior design: It looks & feels like a Motel. Opening a window or a stepping out on the balcony lets the noise from the street in. The rooms at the front (around the pool) face Ocean Avenue with heavy traffic to match. The room was ok, but the AC unreliable (way too cold). The room was really nothing special: you'll find the same style in any 3-5 star hotel. It's wonderful that eco looks the same as non-eco, but why imitate non-eco hotel rooms? Aside from the AC the biggest problem was that you could hear what the neighbours were doing in their room as well as all that was going on in the corridor. Not worth the $1.1K that I paid for 3 nights.

Room Tip: At the back end of the hotel, facing Santa Monica Place.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Li_Isings,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel during your travels from Switzerland. I deeply apologize you were underwhelmed with your stay. Our hotel has received many hospitality design awards, and many other reviews have marveled in the interior and room comfort; however I’m saddened it was not to your liking. We have several different room options, so if you are ever with us again you’ll have to try out one of our suites or junior suites. The aesthetics are slightly different. Also, I would like to assure readers all rooms are equipped with sound proof sliding glass doors to eliminate any outside noise. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We only spent one night here but the hotel is very modern/new and has a chic-feel to it. For example, in lobby, valet parking, etc there are touch screens where people can search on internet or simply draw pictures/write notes...fun touch for our kids...Location is great if you want to go to the pier - which we did. It is right across street. Rooms were modern and had bathroom with electronic shade that either gave open view to shower/bathroom or not. Again our kids felt it was cool. The shower head is one of those overhead rain type. Our room was in the wing that you had to get to over the skybridge - which was confusing and a bit inconvenient - from lobby you had to take elevator to second floor, walk across skybridge, then take elevator down to first floor again. What was nice is that our room overlooked a garden area with firepits, etc and you could walk right out from a private patio into the garden, and exit that way.

We also ate a late dinner at the Blue Plate Taco restaurant located in/next to the hotel and it was fun and very good food...seemed like a local hot spot as it was crowded and loud at 10pm.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Hhwang70,

Thank you so much for your review. We take great pride in being the only LEED Gold Certified property in Santa Monica so thank you for giving the environmental mention in your title! Also, I’m glad our modern design provided a ‘chic’ feel and you enjoyed the overall aesthetics of your room and our garden area. Many of our guests do not get a chance to enjoy our amazing garden/ lounge area in building B due to their main focus being on our pool in Building A. However, as you noticed, it’s an amazing sanctuary with lounge chairs and a peaceful fountain that allows guests to just relax and escape from everyday worries. I’m glad you were able to appreciate it. Thanks again for your review and I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

First let me say that we normally don't stay at 4 or 5 star hotels simply because of our budget. This stay was part of a package deal so it was a no choice option. The service was friendly and professional. The rooms emaculate and comfortable. The ocean view spectacular. Very nice pool area and a second courtyard with nice seating and fountains. My reasons for the average rating is as follows. My wife is mobility disabled and while the hotel let us use a wheelchair in the building, they would not let us leave with it. Not even to go across the street to the pier, where the rough wooden deck is not walker friendly. Second, for a $400 night hotel you would think the fresh brewed coffee in the lobby would be complimentary, but it nor the danish were.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dave55MO,

On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for your kind words on our hotel. Our goal from the beginning has been to find the perfect blend of style, comfort and service. Describing our rooms as ‘immaculate and comfortable’ and our staff as ‘friendly and professional’ certainly give us a great sense of accomplishment. Also, we are thrilled you were able to enjoy the ‘spectacular’ ocean view. Being situated on Ocean Ave, right above the ocean definitely makes for breathtaking views.

Lastly, I would like to address the issue you had with the wheelchair. We do provide wheelchair service for our guests to assist with check in and check out and any mobility needed around the hotel. However, unfortunately due to liability and insurance issues, they are not to be taken off property. I apologize this lowered your review so much since it seems everything else was perfect. If you do ever visit us again, please call ahead of time and we would be more than happy to assist you with a wheelchair rental from a neighboring service.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I had high expectations yet I was completely underwhelmed by this hotel. It was comfortable and the décor was contemporary and attractive but there was no wow factor to justify the £315 a night price tag. I have occasionally stayed in hotels this expensive and it has been an amazing experience and the room/suite has been fabulous. This was the last night of a special trip so I was looking forward to a luxurious room and premium experience. Sadly, I felt bitterly disappointed with the Shore hotel.

The location is perfect; just across the road from the Santa Monica pier and check in was friendly and efficient. Valet parking was expensive and the employee came close to damaging our expensive luggage by carelessly yanking it from the car, despite my husband saying that he would do it. The valet clearly wasn’t to know there was an uncapped bolt in the boot of the hired Mustang, but should’ve left it alone when requested to do so by my husband.

Santa Monica on a Friday night was an interesting experience, with a road block of over 20 police checking for drink drivers. The traffic was also terrible which meant that we didn’t dare use the car during our stay.

I was hoping I’d booked a special hotel that would stop us feeling sad that our special trip was almost over. Instead I felt very ripped-off and disappointed. If £315 is the going rate for a good (certainly not amazing) hotel in Santa Monica, then I’d simply stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Joonstar,

Thank you so much for your review. Every guest experience is extremely important to us. Good or bad, we need to know how we are performing on every level. That being said, I apologize you were underwhelmed with your hotel experience. Knowing that we had no ‘wow’ factor for you is very disappointing. As seen by the nearly 500 perfect reviews, we provide nothing less than excellence, so the fact that we dropped the ball with you is saddening. On a more positive note, you certainly are correct in stating that our location is perfect. Also, I am thrilled the front desk staff was friendly and able to make for a smooth check in. They are an amazing group of hoteliers that truly care for each guest. Thanks again for your review and I hope you come back for a second chance to ‘wow’ you.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Recently spent three nights in the Hotel, friendly staff, Excellent Valet System! Located at the Santa Monica Pier, surrounded by great restaurants, bars and shopping. The hotel is ultra modern, extremely clean and well secure. We had two rooms and my only complaint would be the AC system kept the room damp. No matter what I set the thermostat on my cloths were damp. Pool is reminiscent of a childhood motel, in size only. Clean Hotel!!!!!

Steve C,

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad our service and location really impressed you! From the beginning we have aimed to create style and comfort with top notch service, set in the most amazing location in Santa Monica. Knowing that we were able to do this with you is a great success. As for the air conditioning, this is the first I have heard of this particular problem. I am going to reach out to your personal account to find out exactly what room you were in so I can having my engineering team quickly resolve any issue. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Location (right in the center of Santa Monica beach restaurants, shops, walkways and gyms) and staff (very friendly, fun and helpful) are both great. Unfortunately the room rates are FAR over-priced for what you get. I realize that there is a premium for the location, but still, the rooms are average, pool is like a 'motel pool', and the hotel decor is very basic, yet we paid around $500/night!! We have travelled every continent and by far Asia hotels (and airlines) are the best service, quality, and value - but even in the US we would have expected that a hotel of this quality would be about half the price of what was charged. I suggest the management relooks the room rates, we would definitely stay again if the price was (much) more reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Norbertghz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. You certainly are correct in stating that our location is great. Being just steps from the famous Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade, it definitely is the most conveniently located hotel. Also, I will pass along your praise to the staff. Describing them as ‘very friendly, fun and helpful’ is a lovely compliment I know they will all take pride in. Lastly, you are correct in assuming that Santa Monica hotels are higher in the summertime; however we stay very competitive with the surrounding properties. If you are every in town again, check our website for one of our latest packages, for they always include great deals! Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights in August. We chose the hotel due to the Tripadvisor recommendations, even though our travel agency recommended something else. The hotel is very well located, very clean, safe and overall felt new. The valet parking worked really well. We however had unfortunately a few little things that bothered us. The pool was very small and the lack of breakfast opportunity or food service by the pool was a big minus. The first night our room started to get a lot of smoke smell into it to the extent that our eyes started watering and we needed to ask for another room. The front desk said they will check the air ventilation but no other rooms would be available. We came back later later that evening and the smell was even stronger. Went back to the front desk who just asked whether somebody had "sprayed" the room....to get rid of the smoke I believe....? Could not believe the question. And no apologies were provided. Anyway, suddenly another room was available and we moved late in the night to the opposite side. When we complained that a grocery store bag with some items in it had disappeared from the room, we got a response that "luckily we have housekeeping staff that do not take anything from the room" who of course never admitted even seeing such a bag. Finally the front desk offered to acquire us similar kind of items we lost in case we had a receipt, which we did not have anymore, and we felt it was a too much effort and even a bit embarrassing to start listing the acquired and now lost items so we decided not to go for that. The value of the lost items was not much and not the point here, but it is a matter of principle that you need to be able to trust that your stuff is not being taken/thrown away from the room. This is a nice hotel but a bit too relaxed about these kinds of things.

Room Tip: Ocean view does not mean you are facing fully the ocean, only sideways.
1  Thank LeoLeijona

LeoLeijona,

Thank you so much for your review. Every guest experience is extremely important to us for it allows us to know how we are performing on every level. That being said, I am saddened that you had a less than favorable experience at our hotel. The situation you described with your lost items is completely unacceptable on our end. I can assure readers that our staff is beyond trusting and our guest’s safety is top priority. I am assuming a housekeeper thought your items in a grocery bag were trash during your room move and there was a miscommunication on our end, but nonetheless that is still unacceptable. I will forward this review to the Director of Housekeeping so she can look into the matter and also for training purposes.

On a brighter note, I am pleased that after all the inconveniences you still gave our location and cleanliness a perfect score. We definitely are a nice hotel as you put it, and I apologize for any areas we did not perform. I promise this is not the norm and I hope you’ll give us a second try! Thanks again.