“Great Design”

Shore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Shore Hotel has great design and a good location. Very clean, good service. Very pricey, but I think that goes with the neighbourhood. It is important for people to know there is no breakfast at the hotel, but there are pastries and coffee for sale at a cart in the lobby which help if you're in a rush. The cafe (Jinky's) they recommended was relative close and yummy. My only complaint was the shower, the water pressure was very poor. It's a green hotel and I'm fine with the changes that may entail, but I need enough water pressure to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. The front desk was great with the kids!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jim S, Guest Services Supervisor at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

TorontoBeth,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Your title, ‘Great Design,’ definitely seems to be an opinion of the masses. In fact, upon opening in 2011, we have been truly honored to receive many prestigious design and hospitality project awards. However, apart from having a great looking hotel, we also know we have to have the service to match. Therefore we have hired people from all over the world that are dedicated to making this hotel thrive. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Jim Surace

There are newer reviews for Shore Hotel

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Be patient...it's going to take a while to describe how impressed I am with this hotel! And I can't give it 5 stars because I didn't try out the pool (gorgeous) or food (Blue Plate Taco) YET...

Location: Perfect right downtown Santa Monica across from the ocean and Santa Monica Pier. Giving it a 94 "walkers paradise" score. See below.

Walking Distance: RIght across from the ocean, you can literally wake up and see the Pier, go to sleep with the moons reflection off the water.
Easy to walk to shopping at Santa Monica Place and 3rd Street Promenade. As well as numerous food, fitness, entertainment, bar options... whatever you want.
Here's the walkers score online with a 94/100. See what's close www.walkscore.com/score/1515-ocean-ave-santa-monica-ca-90401

Atmosphere: A variety of people stay and work here so there's a laid back yet upscale vibe. I think anyone can feel comfortable and safe here. Where it's Business trip or a vacay... check it out. It's not really a spring break party place, thankfully, so lets keep it that way, crisp, clean and respectful-which actually sums up the Shore perfectly.

Rooms: The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I could have moved in and stayed there... I think I actually ask. ;) Seriously... Room has everything you need, want and actually surprises you with everything it has to offer.
The green sustainability amenities are so cool, the lights have sensors-turning off when you aren't there. The air conditioner turns off when the patio door is open. I love this, finally somewhere helping the environment. The bathroom is huge and the open shower keeps the fluidity of the room moving. The cleanliness was spectacular. Impressive spacing and design. Whoever put this place together deserves an award. Having an ocean front patio should be something you go for, with a breathtaking view of the ocean at sunset, along with the pier, it'll make you fall in love with Santa Monica.

Customer Service: From the front desk, valet, management or even random people around the hotel, EVERYONE i was in contact with was super nice, helpful, down to earth and seemed to be genuinely focused on each individual guest. They also seemed to enjoy there jobs, you could tell...and it clearly makes all the difference-it can actually make or break your day and change your mood. Plus it's not annoying fake attentiveness which is refreshing.

Outside Design: Other than the ocean, it steals the show. The blue lighting on the outside open frame with a killer pool with fire lamps or whatever they are, surrounding it. You'll want to tell people you stayed there. And actually writing this makes me realize I need to go back, the pool area is sexy and I need to experience it.

Inside Design: Open, a lot of natural lighting, it's modern but not scary-overly sharp edges modern. I think it's comfortable yet energetic. It also opened up my awareness of sustainability in buildings a lot... brain boost.

Parking: There's valet, a few options for street parking and parking buildings all around Santa Monica... Just ask the front desk pricing and determine what's best for you depending on the length of your stay.

Sustainability: It's the first LEED hotel I've stayed in but I was blown away. I think it's genius and hope all new & renovating hotels and residence go towards this. It's actually a big deal so read more about it on their website. Fascinating if you ask me. http://www.shorehotel.com/sustainability.php

I feel like I'm forgetting something so I might have to update this...I know this is a little overboard, maybe you don't care about half of this but if you want the short and sweet version... stay at the shore in Santa Monica if you want your experience to be top notch.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room. You won't be disappointed, the sunsets are killer.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Misty B
DieterSchmitz, Director of Rooms at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

MistyCali,

Thank you from all of us at Shore Hotel for your detailed review and for providing pictures of your experience with us. We greatly appreciate your time and praise of our passionate team of talented hoteliers. As a collective team we vigorously aim to create a personalized guest experience centered on providing genuinely amicable customer service and we are delighted we were able to do so during your time with us. We hope to have you back so we can earn that extra star should you have the time to try our state of the art pool and Blue Plate Taco restaurant. Thank you once again for your review!

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The price is a little high but it is defiantly worth it. Its so nice to see hotels are doing something for the enivorment. I loved how nice it is. the blue light thats on at night put me to sleep instantly!! I loved how relaxing it made me.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank kandiXkat
DieterSchmitz, Director of Rooms at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

kandiXkat,

We aim to create a personable guest service experience that provides a refreshing escape from life’s daily stresses and are ecstatic we succeeded in doing so during your time with us. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had reservation for my europien Family from Europe. The Hotel is excellent located sparking clean, well organized. The quality of the hotel worker is polite, knowledge and helpfull. The hotel is new with all of the high class of comfort. The service is excellent, knowledge people all with help and good personality. I checked back on the Ocen Avenue all of the hotel and price range. This hotel was the best of the best. The head supervisor really organized the quality of the worker to please the guest.

So... I just say Thank you. Klara Room 458

Room Tip: All of them is good
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Klara B
Jim S, Guest Services Supervisor at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Klara B,

On behalf of the entire staff at The Shore Hotel I would like to thank you for such an amazing review. I can personally say that everyone on our Guest Services team enjoyed your daily visits through the lobby while picking up your family. As you noticed, our team is made up of a charming and friendly staff that truly takes the time to get to know each guest. The intimacy of being a boutique property allows us to create a uniquely personable experience unlike the surrounding larger hotels. Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you soon (feel free to visit us at any time)!

Jim Surace

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, awesome location....greeted with champagne after long drive....what more can you ask? Cool and mondern and great views....would definately recomend and stay again. Everything you could ask for from a cali seasdie hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013

Dalaz,

We appreciate your praise regarding our amicable team of passionate hoteliers and are delighted you had a memorable experience. We hope to have the honor of serving you again here at the Four Diamond, Shore Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Had a great experience at The Shore Hotel last week. This is the second time I have stayed at this location and was originally recommended by my company's travel service. The entire staff was friendly and the receptionist Stevie remembered that I had been there a short time back based on my company profile. She took extra time to recommend dinner locations and upgraded my room. I will be recommending this hotel to other employees while traveling to Santa Monica.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Joseph H, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Larry443,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your kind words and gracious comments provide viewers with essential feedback regarding our property and staff. We appreciate you taking the time to address your recent experience with us. Stevie is truly an asset to our team and we will make sure to pass along your praise to her. We are honored to know you will be recommending our property to other employees of yours. Please join us again soon as we look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My brother and I stayed at Shore Hotel in the first week of March.

What an amazing location. Just a block from third street promenade and lobby opens on to Ocean Avenue.

Super helpful and accommodating front desk staff.

There was a lady by the name of "Stevie" who was just fantastic. Took all the time and patience answering some of our questions and other guests. Seen a lot of front desk personnel in my life and she was really one of the best and most caring and welcoming and ensured we had a magnificent stay.

Modern rooms. Comfortable beds. Very quiet triple paned windows.

Room Tip: Had both ocean view but switched to garden view...extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DieterSchmitz, Director of Rooms at Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Costaricatourtaker,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. While we compete with the larger chains in the city we realized the key to our success would be providing our guests with a personable guest experience second to none. I am fortunate to have a team of immensely passionate and talented hoteliers that take pride in creating lifelong memories for our valued guests. I will be sure to pass along your praise to Stevie, who has been with us since day one, and our entire team. We hope to see you again soon!