“Prices Up, Quality Down, Attitude as Bad as Ever”

Santa Monica Seafood
Ranked #44 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Los Angeles
“Prices Up, Quality Down, Attitude as Bad as Ever”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

That sums up this week's lunch at what used to be one of my favorite places. Long ago I decided I could put up with the obnoxious hosting attitude (including no reservations, no table until the entire party arrives and tables assigned according to favorite patrons) because of the amazing quality of the freshest fish. And we still shop here for fish to bring home. But not only have the prices gone up yet again on the menu, but the quality has gone down. The swordfish in the swordfish sliders was room temperature at best, the wrong chowder came out (and when the correct chowder arrived my lunch companion declared it unimpressive) and I had to ask multiple times for iced tea to be refilled. I think we're now on a break.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank fantasticv0yage

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
“The Best Cioppino Ever”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I am from San Francisco and love cioppino (invented in SF), but the best I have had so far is in Santa Monica. The Santa Monica Seafood is really a fabulous seaood store. They have a small dinning in area near their front windows. I visit family in LA area about every 2 months. I went to this restuarant in August and again this past weekend. I went back again for the cioppino, so SO GOOD. A wonderful Chardonnay, a great Caesar and the Cioppino topped with grilled French Bread and after this all a wonderful NY style cheese cake. Heaven. By the way my husband had fish and chips. The Alaskan Cod was very fresh and delightful, Chips crispy and very good.

Go early and have Dunch. Great for people watching. There is an oyster bar with a happy hour. I noticed a large variety of oysters and I intend to try it next time.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank lovesweims
Millburn, New Jersey
“Good Food”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Does not appear to have sufficient wait staff (only 1 or 2 waitress for entire restaurant)
Pro: Good Food
Con: Wait staff flow is disorganized

Visited August 2013
Dayton, Ohio
“Excellent choice”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Eight of us spent a long evening here. The food was great and the service superb. If you visit Santa Monica this is a terrific choice. Start with the beach and end up here for dinner you'll have had a wonderful day in a great city.

Visited August 2013
LOS ANGELES
“Mussels!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Love the mussels! Nice room. Wonderful food. Attentive waiters. Fun place to eat great food and wine. Only downside: no reservations, and often means a wait for a table.

• Visited August 2013