“A perfect vacation in my very own city”

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 21, 2006

When my dad comes to visit he always choosees a local hotel over my apartment couch...can't blame him. This past visit he booked a room at Loews on the beach in Santa Monica and we had a marvelous time. The room was stunning, but what really stood out to me was how every nook and crany of the hotel was inviting. Instead of calling it a night after dinner out in Santa Monica, we would find a comfy sofa in the lobby area, order a couple cocktails and talk for hours. The facility really lends itself to this sort of comfort. The pool was fantastic...reserve your chair early. And the cheese fondue at the Ocean and Vine restaurant was to die for! Everything about this stay was inviting, so much so that next time my dad comes to visit I may get a room there myself. It's like taking a vacation mere blocks from my front door.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank elboogie

Reviewed August 20, 2006

Greeted by grumpy staff at the reception, our room was not ready when we arrived, so we left our luggage and were promised that everything would be taken care of. When we returned at 4pm, we got our room. No luggage. And nobody knew where it was. Then half of it arrived. The rest came much later.

The experience of the restaurant was a mixed blessing as well. Again greeted by a "Do not disturb me" attitude, we found the menu "interesting". The wine we ordered was out of stock. Our food was served to the next table, then came back, and we finally got it - food was good, though.

Staff around the swimming pool was very attentive and friendly. The pool itself was overcrowded with kids. The hotel never got the pool cleaned properly overnight, the water was a bit milky all the way, and lots of sand in the hot tub.

If you and your spouse have different names, make sure you register both names on check-in - should you forget the key and should the room be in the name of the spouse whose name is different, you can otherwise count on spending your time somewhere else than in your room - "all for your safety", of course, will the reception staff tell you. They are always "correct" - never friendly or helpful.

Speaking about your room - WiFi is only available in the lounge, although the system allows you to register, and pay, for WiFi use in your room, but then it disconnects ... but the hotel credited us for this, and we used broadband access in the room instead.

The hotel itself is really beautiful, very nicely situated. Rooms are large, and housekeeping is good at cleaning and changing towels, but better bring your torch in case the lamps don't work. Also, don't count on the TV set - you may think it is patriotic with many stars, and stripes, flashing over the screen.

On the day of check-out, be sure to try to settle your bill early. Reception staff works on an anti-cyclical basis. There are lots of people in the morning, when no guests are checking out, and there were only two people for plenty of guests around 11:30am when everybody wants to check out.

Overall, this hotel could be the most wonderful experience, if its staff in all department were as friendly and attentive as the guys who serve the pool area. There are places with much better service for the same price in Santa Monica - the Merigot, next door to the Loews, is one.

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank mschuette4
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My boyfriend and I wanted a romantic getaway for the weekend and booked our stay at the Loews Santa Monica. We loved the location and friendly knowledgeable staff. The concierge had tons of great suggestions on things to do and places to eat.
We enjoyed one dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and the food was amazing! Our room had a gorgeous view and even the gym was great. What a great trip -- we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uclasarah4
Reviewed August 11, 2006

The hotel itself is beautiful- and for this price it should be. In all, we couldn't have done without the pool and its view-but for 429.00 a night? (widowed mom, 2 kids). Any meals eaten there ran at least 50 to 60 when a block away at the peir--there is a taco bell, burger king, and pizza hut! Gratuities will kill you!!
We purchased a full ocean veiw with balcony--expecting an unobstructed scenic overlook with a deck i could stand on--instead it was a 2nd floor, trees in the way, 1 ft out deck which you can lean on --if the door is open, not step out on.
There is no coffee maker--but 3.00 coffee downstairs (and they expect a tip) and a non-requested full mini bar with 7.00 water and 28.00 champagne and other alcohol, but no place to cool your own drinks, forcing you to buy their items--I just emptied it and put my stuff in it.
Not liking people in my room while not there, I posted the "do not disturb" sign which provoked message after message of housekeeping reminders. On the 3rd day, they just removed the tag and entered anyways!
My itinerary listed inter net--but this means its only available! It cost $10 a day to use!
When my son requested a pair of pant dryed he was informed that the service was only for swim suits--so not all is as it seems.
I requested service to a Universal Studio -BEWARE- tour which departed at 9am and drove you to a downtown building a few blocks away where you then were herded into a building for payments and then waited while they parted you out to the correct buses for the tour--Universal arrival time was 11am. But.....the driver (except for the notice of 15% gratuity on a 411.00 package--ya right!) was exceptionally polite and humorous and picked us up prompty at departure time.
All in all I had a great time and really liked the location--but is anywhere in Santa Monica bad? (I'm from Minnesota) Perhaps I just had champagne taste on a beer budget--but then somethings are just plain rip offs! It is a tourist trap, after all. HAVE LOTS OF MONEY READY!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank SherryLynnSherman
Reviewed August 10, 2006

After travelling round, we decided to end our vacation with a week on the beach in LA. This was a mistake. if you have kids who want to see Disney and Universal or things to do in LA then if you dont mind the $400 a day plus (if you have a car to park) this will do but if you don't need to be in LA, find somewhere else.

The hotel is not quite on the beach but close enough. The road you cross is nothing. The beach is very wide, seema a long way to the ocean. You are very close to the pier which looked fun and around 1.5 miles from Venice Beach which is great, specially on Sunday when the Americans go out to play.

You are also a short walk for the 3rd Street promenade where there is a "no traffic" zone, cinemas, restaurants and shops.

The rooms are good, the staff are eager to please, you do feel important when you stay here. The LA traffic is terrible. There are down and outs on the street near the hotel (well we have them in London too but somehow in the USA you dont see so many) The pool is not great, small, no deeper than 4 feet and, in season, full of kids.

Like many hotels of this quality, the facilities can be expensive $10 for 10 minutes on the internet ( the concierge will tell you the local internet cafe). It is very close to Shutters and a few other similarly priced hotels. We did not get to see them to compare. We had booked in for week but had not prepaid so after three days we checked out and drove to Palm Springs where we spent 4 days in luxury ( off season in August) for the price of one night in Loews.

Its not their fault. Its a good hotel in an expensive city, probably no more than a similar hotel might be in London. The staff are excellent. Its clean,and on the beach.

The question you need to ask is...do you really need to be in LA

3  Thank DavidLewis
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I really just don’t like it here. Its hard to pinpoint exactly what the one thing is that is wrong with Loews. But I think the worst part about it is that the staff is just not happy, warm or friendly. They are nice and welcoming at the valet. But that is really where it ends.

They don’t do anything….. wrong. They just don’t exactly do anything right. Take the concierge—she was very helpful. but not friendly. There are too few staff members at the pool – you have to flag down service. Then while I was there I got a $14.00 margarita in a PAPER CUP. I know you dont serve in glass around a pool, but I would expect at least a nice plastic cup. They never made any attempt at niceties.

The same is true for the one time that I was at the restaurant. The man that waited on us was just going through the motions. There was absolutely no attentiveness.

There is just a lack of graciousness here. Every time you turn around the hotel is milking you to the max. Internet access should be complimentary. But instead they charge you $10.00 a day. And that is for the cable access. Apparently the wireless doesnt work in the rooms. It only works in the downstairs areas. So if you want to bring your laptop out to the pool-- then you will have to pay them another 10.00 a day. ( they milk you and milk you and milk you) Then of course there is the 7.00 water in the room and the 28.00 per day parking fee. And really… it’s not the money….you expect to pay a lot in an international city. Its just that between the lack of hospitality and the absolutely outrageous charges (my family had a 61.00 breakfast .... and I am not talking breakfast buffet. I am talking about eggs and toast and pancakes)…… you are practically run off the premises. You don’t want to “gift” the hotel with your business. Because you don’t feel appreciated here.

Even the plants are dead. Fake palm trees in the lobby, fake sun burnt palm trees by the pool. Then there is the fake bear grass that is all over the place. I bet the floral budget for this entire hotel is less than $100.00 week. ( I did notice one small fresh flower arrangement at the entrance of the restaurant) They are located in a city where florals are cheap and abundant. LA has a fabulous flower market.

Most people in the income range of thier guests are used to sleeping on Pillow top mattresses. It is pretty much the standard of comfort for the affluent. The Intercontinental Hotel added a pillow top to all of their beds. (at least in the atlanta hotel they did) I suggested to the management that they consider doing the same.

I don’t know what is the procedure for maid service. But there are no tags that you can put out the door to request maid servcie. So the maids that are assigned to the floors are doing the rooms in whatever order they see fit. Many times I would leave my room for the morning and return around 1:00 only to find the room still undressed. So again -- you are just run off the property. At that point I would call to get maid service. And the hotel would always send the maid service up-- but I would have to send my family of 4 out of the room. The rooms are a little small. And the ceilings are only 8 foot. I couldnt send the family out to the balcony because there is no room for chairs on the balcony.

You just expect more when you are staying in a hotel at 375.00 for a partical or 429.00 for a full ocean view room. plus room taxes. In LA the room taxes are high. So my 429.00 a night room had 60.00 in hotel taxes added to it. So when you add those two charges you are paying $489.00. My advice is to book early and just pay the extra costs to stay at Shutters.

t say that it is a bad hotel. Its….. O. ……K. They have a fabulous location. And it is at the beach. There is a 2 lane rarely traveled road between the hotel and the beach. But really-- I think they can still call it at the beach. It is not like it is across Ocean ave or something.

Something has gone wrong. Theyare charging the max but giving the minimum. They are not living up to thier potential or fabulous location. They need to bring in a management consultant.

For the all of these reasons, we decided to leave LA a day early and fly back to the comfort of home.

In all fairness. I wrote a letter to the hotel management to this effect while I was still on the premises. And they were very apologetic. They sent a nice note with a cheese tray for my family. They also gave me a letter that would entitle me to 2 complimentary nights next time I am in Santa Monica., So they tried to make it right.

But I was still left with a bad taste in my mouth after the bellman came to pick up my lugage. He was very nice. Brought the lugage downstairs. We tipped the bellman. Then another bellman started assisting the 1st bellman in placing items in the taxi. The 2nd bellman was taking great stides to let us know that he was assisting us. My husband said, " Do you guys work together?" Yes-- he says ":we work in teams?" My husband laughed at the notion of us getting one final fleecing as we left the place. The 1st man --seeing that my husband was not going to tip the 2nd bellman held up the tip money and asked "Do you want my to spilt this with him?" My husband just laughed it off and said "yeah-- that is exactly what I want you to do"

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
12  Thank AustinTexasTraveler
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Just spent 3 nights in this hotel. The most inconsistent service of any hotel I've ever stayed in. Two of the 3 nights we did not receive the card for the breakfast order. Only on one of the 3 nights we got turn down service. Two of the 3 nights we got fresh towels. The real treat was the fire alarm going off at 6:30 AM! (During a banquet set-up the sternos set the alarm off. We were told by our room service waiter that this very thing had happened the day before). All this for close to $500.00 per night including parking & taxes. The rooms were nothing special -- just your run-of-the-mill 2 double bed hotel room! I will definitely not stay here again!!!

Stayed: June 2006