“A Good, Decent Place to Stay”

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
Monterey, California
“A Good, Decent Place to Stay”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

When I do get the opportunity I would stay at a Loews brand hotel. This is the third Loews hotel I stayed at. I wanted to do a two-day get-a-way to relax and enjoy the beach and this seem to be the perfect location/place.

Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was the grand lobby with the palm trees. That was amazing! We were assisted immediately by the reception clerk. Since I'm a light sleeper I asked for a quiet room. She put me in a room on the 5th floor facing the street. She said the room should still be quiet. However, upon entering the room I clearly noticed the cars driving by and immediately called the front desk to transfer me to another room, which they promptly did. This time, they put me in a room facing Hotel California (on the same floor). It was not that bad considering there were a couple of guests from the hotel across looking at me while I was standing on the very narrow balcony. Nevertheless, the room was quieter and it did have a view of Santa Monica beach and the pier.

The room itself was very comfortable/clean. I like the "calming" colors (beige, light blue, white) used in the room, which is my favorite. There was a mini-bar (fridge), snacks, water, all of which cost money. There was a single cup coffee/tea maker. All the necessary amenities were there, including Q-tips. I might add I like the scent of the lotion/shampoo/body wash. I also like that the toilet/bathtub was separate from the dual sinks. The placing of the light switch was odd though.

While there, I took advantage of the fitness room and the spa. The workout facility is well-equipped and had cold water w/ lemon to drink for those who are exhausted from working out. To use the workout room you have to sign-in at the desk. I also decided to treat myself to the spa as well. Making an appointment (from my hotel room) was easy and the person who assisted me, Daryl, was very courteous, friendly and accommodating. You have to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the massage to enjoy the steam room and shower. Everything you need to get ready for a massage was there. They provided a robe and slippers. The 50-minute massage by Van was amazing! If I knew it would be that good I probably would have done the 80-minute massage instead. Well worth the price. Anyway, now that I was relaxed I was able to enjoy the sights of Santa Monica.

The beach/pier was walking distance from the hotel. I walked through the back where there was this creepy statue of a lady sitting on a beach chair. Oddly creepy. The hotel is also a 10-15 minutes walk to the Third Street Promenade.

The pool area seem to be full all the time so I decided not to use it. Probably next time. Upon leaving, the hotel was doing maintenance and had a huge hose connecting from the stairwell towards the street outside so the hose was going across the hallway. I almost tripped on it but luckily my luggage caught it first.

I think the next time I come I will request for an upgrade. The regular rooms are ok but I needed a little more pampering if this trip was supposed to be for relaxation only. The upgrade is about $100 more (probably worth it). Parking is at $41 a day (valet). There are a lot of restaurants that are walking distance from the hotel so that's always good if you don't want to eat at the hotel's restaurant.

Overall, it was a decent place to stay with friendly employees. I would definitely choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, choose a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TRTW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The hotel has a fantastic location right next to the beach. We had a car with us and the valets, Rodger and Fernando were very attentive and friendly. The fitness center is one of the better ones we have used.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear David M,

Thank you for joining us at the beach. We will be sure to pass your positive comments about our staff, especially Rodger and Fernando were very attentive and friendly. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and please join us again soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

They did us a solid! I reserved through their website and they upgraded us to an amazing suite. So beautiful! Doors opened on every wall to let the sea breeze in. Nice decor. Fresh and beachy. Great bed. Everything well kept and clean. The bathroom was AMAZING! Great views of the beach and Santa Monica Mountains and the pier. Can't wait to go back!!!

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the beach hotel for 9 days with my family. We first had a room at the level where you have the beach access so 1, to get a better overlook, the lobby is on 4. This room had a big terrace but I think it is to dark. I asked for a different room, so because I payed a much higher price than others. I booked at hotels.com for 3400€ for 9 days. The actual amount with taxes and breakfast was 6500 dollars.... But they gave me an upgrade to the 7th floor with view. It was a stunning view waking up and seeing the ocean or hearing the waves. The room was clean and functional nothing special but I think for this category it was good. If you compare the prices to the other 2 hotels closer to the beach Loews is better because it is easy to get to the beach in a minute and you pay less than the other 2 who are closer to the beach. I really
Enjoyed the food expecially the breakfast buffet. The staff is wonderful! They all were very nice. I loved the lady who cooked the omelets and waffles at an open kitchen table, she always prepared cucumbers for my baby:-)
The concierge was also very helpful and they really did their best to give you a pleasant stay. The only think I didn't like, but are problem almost every hotel is facing, is that people reserved the sun chairs early in the morning and sometimes arrived late afternoon. It is a small pool area so it is not easy to get a nice space when you are more than 3 people. Maybe they should only give out towels if someone is actually sitting down... But as I said before this problem almost every hotel has. I really enjoyed my time and I can't wait to come back for another visit!

Stayed June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

After a long flight from Australia with three kids in tow, we were very excited to be finally checking into this hotel. Unfortunately upon arrival, we were told that our pre-paid booking had been cancelled. I knew this was not the case, and we were lucky that there were rooms available so we could still check in. The problem was, it took days to resolve the situation, even though our travel agent here in Australia contacted the hotel to find out what on earth was going on. At one stage, we even had another couple enter our room with their room key! It was a mess. Yes, there were many apologies, but it would have been nice to have received a bottle of wine or similar as some sort of compensation for their ongoing reservation issues and my stress levels! I wouldn't recommend, despite fantastic location.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the second floor. They were re-doing the rooms below us and the renovation...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kirsty C
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Kirsty C,

We are working hard to determine the cause of the confusion with your travel agent, but, again, our deepest apologies for the mix up with your reservation. We were happy we were able to accommodate you but understand resolving the issue was an inconvenience. We are sorry for that and hope that you will have a smoother experience in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Asked to pay for an upgrade b/c "premium ocean view" did not meet our needs. Request went ignored! Moreover, room key malfunctioned and manager refused to let my family into our room. Don't stay here!

1 Thank Jonathan G
Rachel K, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Jonathan G,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me about the situation and allowing us the opportunity to improve. We look forward to having you back and showing you our standard of top notch guest service.

Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We just wrapped up another July 4th vacation in SAMO and stayed at the children's favorite hotel there - The pool is very kid friendly, 3-4 feet deep and they have a lane for lap swimmers in the early morning. Their jacuzzi is incredible! It's temperature is HOT and strong jets are great on your muscles after a morning run along the beach. Room was nice - clean, housekeeping is great as always as were the valets and bellhops. Zac gets kudos for extra friendly check in and I saw him dealing with some pretty high maintenance pain in the a__ guests who thought they were apparently the only guests in the hotel and couldn't wait like others were…. pool service was great and the staff does a good job monitoring the chair vultures who just throw towels on and then leave.

Room Tip: any room is good - you get what you pay for but ocean views are available from most rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear cafamily8,

Thank you for your return business and for spending your 4th of July holiday with us – so honored to hear we are your children’s favorite hotel. Thank you for your compliments, including the ones to our staff – we will be sure to pass on your message to them, especially Zach. Can’t wait to see you again soon.