“Down the drain!” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Down the drain!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel has really gone down in quality and character. My husband and I first stayed here in 2008 and were amazed and impressed by the hotel. We recommended it to many others - two of our friends even became engaged on the property!!
In December 2012, we were saddened by how terrible this hotel had become. When we drove up, we were dismayed to learn the building was under massive construction, a fact that had NOT been disclosed on the hotel's website, as quality hotels should and often do. The front desk assured us we had a "great room" in which we wouldn't hear the noise, but of course we did, very loudly and very disruptive. Awful. We had bad jetlag and were sleeping during the day and up at night, so loud construction during the day wasn't good for us.
Incidentally, the hotel has had a lot of wear and tear - and not a lot of visible upkeep - since 2008. The bathrooms are massively outdated at this point.
Then, the valet parking attendants stole my husband's sunglasses out of our car. This is not what you see at high-end hotels, and we were again disappointed.
Finally, as if the above weren't enough, they shut off the water to the entire hotel from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. our second night there without informing any of the guests in advance. I mentioned above that we were jetlagged and up at night - I tried to take a shower around 1 a.m. and there was no water at all. A call to the front desk heard the attendant claim ignorance, but it was obvious that the hotel tried to do this at night when the fewest number of guests would notice. Horrible. The offerend nothing to accommodate those of us who needed water at that hour. When my husband walked down to speak with the front desk in person, he received an entirely different story, thereby confirming the hotel was being underhanded and sneaky about the outage.
We checkout out early and went to the Beverly Hilton, which was about ten times nicer and more pleasant than our stay at Loews. I am really saddened to have to write this review, as I once held this hotel very near and dear to my heart. But the fact is, a decent hotel would close as they undergo this extensive construction, rather than subject guests to this kind of deliberate hardship. I cannot underscore enough how badly we were treated and how sneaky, dishonest and underhanded the whole experience felt. AWFUL.
Please save yourself a headache and do not stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure there is no construction!!!!!!!!!
4 Thank s f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I am writing at the start of our stay. It may get better, I hope so but I somehow doubt it.
We have been travelling a lot and stayed in some wonderful places. In larger chains such as IHG we usually get automatic upgrade to suite through their loyalty program, but lately we have been choosing some more individual boutique options and really enjoying them. I thought we would try something else here with the Loews, staying by the ocean for our last few days before returning to Sydney. It looked lovely in the photos.
We arrived and the taxi couldn't find an entrance, after much to-ing and fro-ing it turned out it was just because of construction work and made for a less than impressive start to our stay. This continued at check-in when we discussed upgrading to a larger room for the 4 of us as we are travelling with 8 months worth of luggage, I had emailed ahead with this request as I couldn't find larger online but they hadn't responded. Maybe I should have seen that as a sign of their attitude to their guests and started looking elsewhere.
He offered a suite for $140/night +taxes extra a night. We agreed as he sold us on the wonderful ocean views. In fact the bedroom had a nice view of the ocean from one window but from the other side, and the main window overall in the living room area - where we would be spending time during waking hours - is just the scaffolding from construction work. And a note where they suggest we keep the curtains closed for privacy because of the construction work!
Definitely not worth paying $155/night extra for (bringing it to over $500 a night) - especially considering that he had sold it as for great ocean views..
Meanwhile I went down to the gift shop which was advertising gift wrapping between 5-6pm. as it is Xmas day tomorrow I thought this would save some time so headed downstairs with my arms full of gifts, but it had closed early - the night before Xmas! Surely I'm not the only one to leave it so late (because we had only just arrived)?
They offered an alternative suite with no view (overlooking unattractive buildings) for a lower upgrade fee but by that point it was getting too late to mess around with 2 young kids and still have bath and dinner to complete.
Overall, we both agree we don't have a good feeling from this place. The rooms are nowhere near as good as they look in the photos, the general area of the hotel itself while under construction has a shabby feel to it, and the staff seem to be all about the money - because I had booked through hotels.com they couldn't offer anything like free breakfast. I had joined the Loews program thinking we might transfer some stays in the future to this group but I think I can definitively say this is our first and last Loews stay.
We have been staying in far far nicer places for lower rates and this is one more reason I wished we'd stayed longer at the wonderful Argonaut in San Francisco for Xmas instead of coming down here.

Room Tip: go elsewhere!
3 Thank SydneyLadybird
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
SydneyLadybird:
Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention the details of your experience at our hotel. We know your time is valuable, especially during a vacation. We truly regret not meeting your expectations and want to extend our most sincere apologies to you and your family for the inconvenience this caused you. Understanding your disappointment with the renovation taking place at the hotel and with the lapse in services you encountered, I encourage you to contact me directly so we can further discuss the details of your experience. It is our wish and utmost goal to renew your faith in Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel.
Sincerely
Paul Leclerc – Managing Director
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

After doing considerable amount of research for places to stay in LA (county), we chose this hotel. Was a great decision.... The location, service, and the hotel staff are absolutely wonderful....we had an ocean facing room and it's worth the extra dollars for the room. The views are to die for. The beach is at your door step and a 2 minute stroll to the pier....
We would like to say a special thanks to Yanita Zepeda, who took special care of our daughter....and even gave her a note and a packed lunch on our way out! Yanita, the cookies were awesome! Nice touch... We will certainly be back and cannot recommend this place enough o fellow travellers.
However, be aware that there is renovation going on in the east side of the property. This did not come in the way of our great stay at this hotel....

Room Tip: Rooms 846 to 850 all have great views and are on the top floor of the hotel.....
Bloomfield Hills, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I found a package for this hotel which included free valet parking, one hour bike rental and an upgraded room. It was raining when I checked in this past weekend, so naturally, the bike rental was closed. My room was upgraded, but it was 2 floors below the lobby with an average view. The room is what disappointed me the most....it was so tired and worn! The carpeting was covered with stains and when I turned on my nightstand lamp, the shade fell off because the base was broken....housekeeping had just balanced the shade on top. Annoying to charge for internet, also. The bed and linens were great and the public areas were lovely,though. All in all, not a horrible experience, but I won't stay there again. The Beverly Hilton is still one of my favorites!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Sailaway1

Please allow me a moment to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that that you were able to thoroughly enjoy the bed linens and public areas of our beautiful hotel. I am truly sorry to hear that the room furnishings and view were not as you expected, clearly we failed with this room, and will see it addressed immediately. Please know that maintaining our rooms and public areas are a top priority for us. We do hope that you will visit us on your next visit to Los Angeles. We would appreciate the opportunity to ensure your supreme comfort.

-Paul Leclerc, Managing Director
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife accompanies me to L.A. On business once or twice a year and we have stayed at Loews Santa Monica the last couple of times we were there. The hotel is a five minute walk to downtown Santa Monica,is right on the beach and is more reasonable than other upscale hotels nearby. I like the gym,outdoor pool and the restaurant. The rooms are comfortable and service is good. overall I think this hotel represents very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with full or partial ocean view
Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We came to the hotel with high expectations. We got the room with view to scaffolding - the hotel was under construction from the outside. There was no information about construction when making a reservation/in the website. After complaining got a new room with wonderful view to the beach. Would have appreciated the info beforehand.

Service in a hotel was mainly very good. Fernando at door was very kind and service minded. Service in the restaurants was also very enjoyable. Main desk was the weakest point of service. Maybe a bit too serious attitude ;-).

Food - we were very satisfied with the breakfast. There is no buffet, thank god.

Location is good, though there is some construction work going on in the area as well.

Free wifi should be self-evident in this level of hotels.

Clean, beautiful, good location - yes, would visit again!

Room Tip: I think there is no balcony in every room, so that might be good to check. Rooms facing the sea have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minna V

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your kind words. We realize the construction was an inconvenience and hope you enjoyed your upgraded ocean view room. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future to see the wonderful changes we’ve made. Finally, I want to thank you for taking a moment to single out Fernando, he is a valued member of our team and truly an asset. I look forward to sharing your praise with him. We hope to welcome you back to Loews Santa Monica Hotel during your next visit to the Los Angeles Area.

- Paul Leclerc, Managing Directcor
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in a King Suite over thanksgiving with 2 kids (8 and 10) and my husband. The room was strangely laid out - one bathroom which was in the living room, next to the hallway door. So from the master, you walked out, almost to the room exit to get to the bathroom. There was a lot of construction going on and one day there were men on lifts outside our window, talking and hammering etc so that we had to leave.

We hadn't been aware of the construction and when I asked to move there was nothing available. For a $600/night room it was really suboptimal. The room was average in terms of finishes etc. In addition, you still had to pay for room wifi at that rate - unbelievable. It was a corner room on the 4th floor and the street next to it is loud - lots of noise from cars and people which wakes you up in the morning. The front desk person not well informed - said there was no sofabed and sent up a rollaway - but there was a sofabed.

On the bright side - the restaurant was great and host did everything to accommodate our large party and kids. Food was really good. Location was good to the pier and nearby shopping. Pool heated but pretty basic, not great for kids.

I wouldn't stay here again - hotel was only average in my opinion and prices not worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family