“Bad news”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Bad news”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

First the good news. The hotel property is beautiful and the location perfect. It could of, and should of, been a wonderful stay. Two major negatives that ruined my stay.
1) woke up on my third morning to have a workman standing directly outside my 4 th floor window.
The hotel had neglected to inform me they were going to be doing work outside my window. Workman then proceeded to much banging with a hammer.
2) that same morning, there was no hot water at all for the entire morning. Had to take a cold shower.the front desk staff are the worst trained staff of any hotel I have stayed in. It's as if they are hired for their stupity.

3 Thank StevenEk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I haven't travelled much so it probably doesn't take to much to impress me but my jaw did drop when I entered the beautiful Loews at Santa Monica. I think I was more impressed with the lobby than our room! ha. I think our experience may have been different if we hadn't of received a room upgrade as we had amazing views looking out over the pool and onto Santa Monica Pier which was definitely the most exciting thing about staying here. The room was reasonable, fairly compact but fresh and tidy (the beds were extremely comfortable!), I would of expected a little more for the price tag but with the room upgrade I really can't complain! I would say you are mainly paying for location though..it is right next to the pier and within walking distance of third street promenade as well as loads of restaurants. Free wi-fi is only available in the lobby (which is better than nothing), you have to pay if you want it in your room. The pool was lovely to swim in and when the night got a bit cooler we were able to sit by the pool by a warm fire overlooking the pier.

The view is what makes this hotel so amazing..if I could get upgraded again I definitely wouldn't say no ;D

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ash H
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel was appaling. I travel for business every week and this goes down as the worst hotel ever. First when I arrived the entire hotel was covered in scaffolding for "rennovation". This was not told to me when booking. Next I am told I have a superiorr room and will like it. It turns out to be a room for those in wheelchairs. The room is large sure, but it is barren and ugly. I am told I have pool views. Those views entail me cranking my next an trying to see the corner of the pool. I also abutt a room with a large balcony and outdoor tanning chairs. I have bars akin to a prison that prevent me putting my head outside (and if that room were to be occupied I would be looking out on the balcony of another room only - some what voyeuristic. I called and asked to change rooms. I was told the only other room was overlooking teh city. Are you kidding, it overlooks construction all around., and no I will not pay for an upgrade as I am already overpaying for a room here. I then wanted to take a quick power nap - not possible as there was constant drilling from 2 - 4 PM from the floor above. It was akin to a dental extraction noise for 2 houjrs. No warning at check-in and I am sure no apologies.

The room is worn, there are stains on all the chairs.

If this is a disabled bathroom why then are the toiwels on a rack that I at 5 feel 8 inches have trouble reaching. The sink is so high that a wheelchair would have major issues accessing and the hardryer is hanging on a high shelf in the closet.

This is room 531. IF you get it I stongly suggest you check out and leave for another hotel on the beach.

Overall the worst room for 2012 out of about 40. I wont be going to a Loews again. Customer service was non-existent.

Room Tip: Never take room 531. You are sandwiched in a corner with "non existent pool views" that ar...
2 Thank heleleat4915
Worcester
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've stayed 2 nights. I'm staying 2 more. Yes, there are blemishes, but the view alone from balcony in Room 849 is worth the price for a double room ($311/night).

High marks: Bed, linens, bathroom, deep tub. Skip a massage for $135 and soak in the tub!
Low marks: Tired carpeting in rooms and lobby, noise traveling between room dividing doors.

Attention Motorists: Valet only accessible garage is $35/night. A block and a half away on Colorado there's a well-lit public garage for $14/night. Two of the last four nights I found a parking spot on the street directly across the street from the hotel next to the beach. No charge. No tax. No tip.

Room Tip: Lobby is on 4th floor of 8 story property. If you're interested in improving your view of the o...
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I am not sure what I think of this place. It was expensive BUT it was a perfect location.
The room was tiny BUT we did have views of muscle beach. It wasnt spectacular though and I think that's what I was expecting.
After reading other reviews I would be more than happy to try out The Shore next time.
On the other hand I'm not completely unhappy with Loews. I guess it didn't really have that special quality I was expecting. It was pretty good but not excellent if you know that I mean.

• Stayed September 2012
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just spent two nights at the Loews. In my opinion, the only good thing about this hotel is the location which is lovely, right on the beach, and walking distance to many places in Santa Monica. Other than that, the rooms are very average in appearance for the high price. We had colder than usual weather, and there was no functioning heat in the room. The keurig coffee maker was broken and there was no hot water in the shower. I complained to management who provided a $75 food credit to the room. However, the heat was never fixed.

In addition, I typically never take much notice of the housekeeping staff at a hotel, but you could hear them yelling and talking to each other loudly - this on more than one occasion. They also did not come to clean the room until after 4 pm, although we had been out all day. Then a separate person came again to refill the mini bar/coffee area who practically walked in without knocking. Too many issues for these prices!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Gosh, it’s SO MUCH FUN to stay at a luxury hotel that’s in the process of removing all the furniture from 50% of its rooms, said NO ONE EVER.

Short version:

- Loews garage can’t accommodate a van so you have to drive yourself two blocks away to a competitor hotel to park yourself. Meanwhile, groups of 5 or more valets stand around doing nothing.

- Loews was in the middle of moving 50% of its furniture out of the hotel for a special event. The piles of furniture and other messes in the halls, frenetic activity, and roving gangs of workmen ruined my stay, which was supposed to be a serene, relaxing getaway. There's no excuse for not warning a customer: clearly, at Loews, hotel management greed overcame the importance of customer experience.

Long version:

I booked two night stay at Loews for a stress-relieving break. In the past, I’ve stayed at The Oceania, which is FABULOUS (see my review), but this time I was traveling with my dog and the Oceania doesn’t allow pets. Loews’ website says they welcome pets, so I booked there.

The first, smaller problem occurred immediately, when I drove up in my van. The parking garage at Loews can only accommodate cars less than 6.5 feet tall. The valet told me to go park at the Viceroy hotel, which was two blocks away, save the receipts, and they would reimburse me. This was annoying – every time I needed something from the car, I was galumphing back and forth along the boulevard to the competitor hotel, their valet had to fetch the car, I’d get what I needed, and then I’d galumph back to Loews. Dear Loews Valet Manager: every time I exited the hotel lobby there were five valets standing around talking to each other. Can’t you arrange to have ONE of THEM drive my car two blocks away for me, and retrieve it when I need it? And don’t cite insurance rules about driving off premises – plenty of other hotels do this for their guests, including The Oceania. Barring that, please break up the man-groups the valets are forming – it’s unprofessional and they make single women travelers uncomfortable.

But the major issue was that the management of Loews allowed customers to book stays while the hotel was in the middle of emptying furniture out of 50% of its rooms for a two week long special event. They didn’t even have the grace to warn me.

People don’t come to luxury hotels for beds – you can get a bed at a Motel 6. People come to luxury hotels for the serene, comforting atmosphere, great service, and food. Instead of serene, I got piles of mattresses in the halls, gangs of workmen grunting and moving massive TV credenzas, giant blue plastic rolly-bins piled with hundreds of in-room coffee makers; large cardboard moving boxes full of bedding, hallway carpets covered with massive swaths of saran wrap, foyers covered with cardboard and blue masking tape, housekeeping staff running wildly from one room to the next, and at night, dark, creepy, open doorways into the emptied rooms, which made me want to scream Redrum. Do I sound whiny? Ok, ok, maybe I am a bit whiny, but look at my photos, then tell me whether YOU’D want to pay $400 per night (after taxes and pet fees) for THAT.

To give credit where it’s due, I was not bothered while sleeping, and the room was spacious and perfectly nice if not special in any way. And when I complained to the manager he gave me $185 off one night’s stay. But my “relaxing” break from work was completely ruined.
After leaving Loews, I decided to stay one night at the Viceroy. I thought, what the hell, the valets at the Viceroy not only know my name, they know my dog’s name as well. Here’s how the two hotels compared overall:

Location: Although both hotels are on the same street, two blocks apart, Loews wins on location, as it’s on the beach side of the street. It’s possible that the uppermost floors at the Viceroy have ocean views, but Loews has more ocean view rooms and the view has to be better.

Exterior: Loews is prettier and more impressive from the outside, with a fountain and circular drive; Viceroy is a total sleeper behind a huge hedge - perhaps it was a Holiday Inn in a past life.

Check-in: way better at Viceroy, where it was done over a low desk with seating for the guests. The staff was warmer at Viceroy.

Lounge atmosphere: Much livelier at the Viceroy, and the ambience is pleasant. I’d come in just for a drink.

Rooms: Rooms are larger at Loews; interior design is newer and artier at Viceroy. Mabttresses and bedding were the same good quality at both. Loews had a balcony-ette and a view of the pier and sea north towards Malibu, which I had to pay extra for; my Viceroy room was hermetically sealed and had a view of the busy street front (but zero street noise in the room thanks to heavy duty windows). Bathroom was nicer at the Viceroy, as the tub wasn't partially tucked under the sink counter the way it was at Loews. Both rooms had good climate control.
Pet friendliness: Loews gives you a doggie package, including tiny bowl, placemat, poo bags, and a doggie cookie with a bow on it, and charges $25 extra for the dog. Viceroy doesn't give you anything for Fido and charges $100, but when I said $100 was exorbitant (especially since I’d brought sheeting to cover all their furniture and beds), they removed it from my bill – yay and thank you - and they made a note in my file that when I return, they will only charge $25! There’s really no place to take your dog for walkies at the Viceroy, whereas Loews has a beachside exit as well as grass and shrubs for your pet to use. You do know that dogs aren't allowed on any of the beaches in Santa Monica, don’t you?

Room service: For breakfast, Loews was a little faster and the food was a little warmer than the Viceroy.

Valet: Since I didn't actually get any valet service at Loews, I rate it a big fat zero, and give their valet manager seven big fat demerits. Conversely, at the Viceroy, they all knew my name and my dog’s name after day 1, and always offered me bottled water, EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T STAYING THERE. I’m no longer using plastic bottles, so I declined…. So the valet manager ran inside and brought me some mineral water in a glass bottle. Total rockstar experience. Thank you, thank you, Viceroy valet man.

When I go back, I’ll book at Viceroy.

Room Tip: Before booking ask if there are special events going on that might ruin your stay. If you decide to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo