“Beers & Burgers”

Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California
“Beers & Burgers”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A fine selection of beers accompanies a small yet satisfying selection of burgers. Can get a little pricey, but if you are in a large group it's worth it. The burgers are full of flavor!

Visited September 2013

• Arabic first
New York City, New York
“Great burgers, with a bit of a twist”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Umami does not have one of those something for everyone menus - it's basically burgers (although you can get vegetarian and non-beef ones), with interesting topping variations. We shared the truffle burger and the hatch burger (with cheese and chilies) and both were perfectly done with the right ratio of (potato) bun to meat. The butter lettuce and kale caesar is a nice accompaniment, slightly healthier than the very tasty looking tempura onions, which we didn't sample. A nice selection of beers as well.

• Visited September 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good and original”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had an Umami burger and shared some sweet potatoes and truffle thin fries - it was delicious!
Only bad point is how LOUD the place is inside. We were sitting at a small table yet could barely hear each other.
I would go back because the food was very good and I'd like to try some other burgers but I'll ask to sit on the terrace next time, where you don't get so much echo!

Memphis, Tennessee
“Difficult to Find, Well Worth the Effort”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to the Santa Monica Umami Burger. The address on the website is 500 Broadway. All we could find there was a Fred Segal. We went in and asked a clerk who directed us to the back of the store. There are no signs saying Umami Burger, just a restaurant. Apparently everyone else knew how to find the place as it was packed with a 45 minute wait.
The wait was worth it.
I had the local specialty burger - a perfectly grilled special blend burger with oxtail meat and truffle cheese. Without a doubt the best gourmet beef burger I have ever devoured. My wife had the Umamai Burger consisting of the same special meat blend, shiitake mushrooms, carmelized onions, roasted tomato and parmesan crisp which was also spectacular. We both shared fried pickle spears and sweet potato fries with house made ketchup and house made hot sauce and both left extremely satisfied.
I am not sure how well the other L.A. area Umami Burgers are marked, but it is well worth the effort seeking one out.
Should we return to the L.A. area, we will be back.

1 Thank jcstich
“What did we miss?”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife got sick from her awful hamburger. I had the Ahi burger and it was disgusting.
I thought I was in Europe when my Diet Coke came in an 8 oz bottle.
Loud, noisy and not the cleanest place.
And like everything else in LA- overpriced
I would never go back.