“Huge improvement since renovation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Huge improvement since renovation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a few times when it was the Sheraton Delfina and had terrible experiences from the Inadequately trained staff to the substandard rooms for the price. I'm a SPG gold member and usually only stayed here due to discounts when I had to be in Santa Monica for business. But this time, I tried it out for the first time since the remodel and rebranding to the Le Meridien and it was a pleasant surprise. Service was much better and rooms were much nicer. Due to its ideal location on Pico, I have to recommend this hotel to any traveler to Santa Monica or Venice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAELEEAHP
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear JAELEEAHP,
Thank you for the kind words abour your recent stay at the hotel. As an SPG family member, your comments are extremely important and in addition that you have stayed here previously and now compares much better, makes me feel even better about the team and the changes of the brand. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to reach out directly upon your next visit and we will ensure you see one of our beautiful sunsets here in Santa Monica.
Stephen Sowards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

Stayed at the Delfina in July for 2 nights with my 9 year old son.
The hotel is a few blocks away from the beach but pretty far from Santa Monica lively zone.
The welcoming at the hotel was fair but nothing extraordinary. Check in process was expedited.
I travelled with my son and requested a two beds room. I was offered a King Size Deluxe room with a rollaway instead and agreed on that. The room was ok but was expecting a larger room or a nicer view since I booked a deluse room. I had a view over the entrance of the hotel, not really charming...
Since nobody came to put the extra bed after a few hours, I cam back to the reception around 9 pm to request to have it placed before we come back from dinner. When I came back, the bed was placed in the room vertically, no furniture had been removed and I had to do everything myself... Where am I??? It was late and thought I would rather do it myself since my son felt sleepy.
The overall hotel looks nice although the picture of pool on website is very misleading since the pool is very small.
Breakfast at the restaurant on the upper level had the slowest service ever and almost left after 45 minutes waiting. No apology whatsoever, of course...
Wifi is not free in the rooms which nowadays is a joke but is free in the lobby. This means that if you are a client that pays for your room, you need to pay for the wifi but not if you just visit the hotel and leave no revenue. Strange feeling... I ended up paying as I needed to get things done and did not want to go back to the lobby while my son was asleep. Although I paid for it, The wifi access was terrible, very unstable and the bandwith a real joke. I did complain the next day to the reception and offered me a 3G device which ended up working well.
The staff attitude was ok overall but certainly not what you expect from a hotel like this. I had spent 3 weeks in hotel prior to ending up at the Meridien as my farewell experience and I must say this hotel is ranked at the bottom.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear bchiarut,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at the hotel. It is very important to receive this feedback as it helps us establish better training and service delivery for our guests. I will review your feedback with the team and ask that you send me your room number information so that we can identify the wifi breakdown you mentioned. I will review your housekeeping incident as well to ensure this no longer takes place with rollaways. We thank you for your business and wish you safe travels.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stayed overnight en route to Mexico. Pleasantly surprised to find our room tastefully furnished. Comfortable bed and pillows. And the location is hard to beat. Walking distance to everywhere in Santa Monica (well, almost everywhere). Stay maybe short BUT sweet. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rex Y
Dear Rex Y,
Thank you for the positive feedback in your review. As a Senior Contributor to TA, your experience in global travels is well documented and very keen to the details of a hotel. Our central location to "just about everything" in Santa Monica is one of the best benefits for our guests hoping to "Unlock our Destination" of Santa Monica. We hope you had a wonderful visit to Mexico and hope you visit us again soon. We appreciate your business and wish you safe travels.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I booked this property with hopes it would be a treat while on business. As a Platinum Starwood Preferred member, I've stayed in countless Starwood properties. I assumed a level of luxury with Le Meridien and was very disappointed. My room and the amentites were on par with the Hilton Garden in Hollywood. The hotel public areas are cramped. They hardly recognize you as a member of the loyalty program. My room faced the street. Overall I would not pay the price to stay in this hotel again. Even under renovation, the Sheratan in downtown is a nicer property and half the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool away from the street
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Joe C,
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. As an SPG Platinum member, it is extremely important that you receive the recognition you deserve due to your loyalty and benefits you are afforded. I will share your feedback and take into consideration your feedback for future planning.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Booked at the last minute on Starwood points and it ended up being a very good choice. Would have stayed longer. Close enough for a nice run on the ocean board walk. Well located to visit the area.

Aside from the very dark lobby, we got a room with an ocean-view and a small balcony. Was quite spacious and the heavenly bed makes for a guaranteed good night sleep.

Service was good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Marsoan-
Thank you very much for the kind words in your review. I will share your comments with the team and appreciate you taking the time to share. It sounds like you were able to enjoy one of our spectacular sunsets and sleep very peacefully in our bedding. We appreciate your business and always appreciate our Starwood Preferred Guest family.
Hingham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

This former Sheraton was an unfortunate disappointment. The decor is modern and stylish but that doesn't even come close to justifying the price tag. Every other aspect of the hotel is lacking.

The good:

- Friendly, accommodating staff
- Modern, tasteful decor

The bad:

- Expensive price tag
- Breakfast is expensive and not very good
- Wifi is $15 per day! I can't even remember the last time I had to pay for wifi in the hotel. You can get ONE free hour of wifi in the lobby, just enough so they can advertise "free wifi"
- They give you ONE pod of coffee in your room. Coffee in the lobby is not free. What?
- Bathroom is small-ish, shower pressure weak
- When we booked the room, we were told we could get a cot or bed or something for another member of our party but when we got there we were told that wasn't possible. The staff did everything they could to help but that was still a nuisance.

This place is still a dated Sheraton that's just dressed up a little bit and stamped with an exorbitant price tag that it doesn't deserve. It's an expensive hotel that provides you with little and tries to suck more money out of you by charging for stuff that should be free.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bcoper
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Bcoper,
Thank you for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor. Your comments about the staff and design are appreciated and will be shared with the team. Your comments about price are somewhat a surprise when looking at market pricing of the hotels in Santa Monica and considering our value for price paid is one of the best in the marketplace. Based on your feedback and others, we have increased our pod counts in the guest room as our leisure customers tend to have additional guest stays in the room so we want to say thanks for the comment as it has secured a change in our operations. We appreciate your business and hope you will choose us again should your travels bring you back to Santa Monica. If you could please email me your room number so that we can investigate the water pressure comment as well.
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

We selected the Meridien Delfina as the recommended hotel for our wedding guests and stayed there the night of our wedding too.

The price was great for a well located hotel in the middle of Santa Monica. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and even set up a special link for our guests to register their stay. We stayed there over our wedding and got a fantastic suite with great views.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Santa Monica area.

Room Tip: West facing views of the ocean and/ or marina del rey
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank phillyt77
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Phillyt77,
Thank you very much for selecting Le Meridien Delfina as the hotel for your guests and special day for your big event! We appreciate that you allowed us to be part of your special day and we strive to create memories and experiences for our guests. It is always great when memories are accommodated with a great suite and wonderful memorable views of the sunsets and ocean. We appreciate the business and hope you will visit us on your one year anniversary!