“Good food patchy service”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stamford, Connecticut
“Good food patchy service”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Longitude Restaurant:
While the food was quite tasty, the service was fair to poor. The soup course was presented crusty on top as though it had been waiting around for some time for a waiter to pick it up, although it was tasty. This evening - Mardi Gras - the restaurant was fairly quiet, though they had spent a few dollars on cheap beads and plastic headwear. I had to say everything twice to the waitstaff as the music was too loud. My soup and main course were presented simultaneously so that the latter would be cold by the time I'd finished the first course. I asked why and was told that the kitchen was very busy - not evidenced by bums on seats, perhaps a lot of carnival activity in the guest rooms this evening? Anyway I'd rather have my food hot and have to wait a few minutes more, so I sent it back - always a risk, but when it came back it was hot and tasty, and hopefully without any additives! I was asked if I would like dessert, I said I would take a look, after leaving me a starter and main course menu and rushing off, the waiter returned 10 minutes later to see what I wanted - "well nothing on here" I replied, no apology given he started to tell me what they had, hard to take it in with the volume of the music, so I asked again for a menu, it had three items, but there were two specials I was told, one of which was included in the three on the menu! Bewildered, I was! Perhaps he was a new guy - if so he needs a little more supervision. I ordered the Creme Brûlée mentioning I hoped it would be hot on the top, he nodded in agreement. It arrived cold, no hot melted sugar topping and as a tart, "Not a traditional Creme brûlée" I said - no he agreed but I'd like, it I was assured. It was ok but I'd been looking forward to a Creme brûlée and this wasn't one.
Room:
Bed was too hard for me. I realize I am a delicate flower and have my "Sleep #" bed set at 20 at home otherwise I feel like I've been sleeping on the sidewalk. I realize it us difficult for hotels - but we are not all the same. Shoe shops have worked this out, they don't ask what style would you like your size 9s in? We come in differing shapes and sizes, and so beds too are not all fine for all. Some Raddison hotels have caught on but mostly it is a hard bed or sleep in the chair of maybe your car for more comfort. I take an air bed with me but maids often can't adjust and it was sitting on top of the made-up bed when I return to my room.
Otherwise clean roomy and unremarkable, small bathroom with low output shower- well it's drought conditions, so expectable. An 8oz bottle of water free (to share) or $5 for a liter and a coffee maker were the extent of the refreshments. The usual TV with no guide to what is on and an outdated channel listing, with some spotty reception - the norm for hotels. Handy bedside chest of drawers incorporating two 110v outlets most useful for travellers' (sorry, both Robert E Lee and I think traveller has 2 Ls) electronic needs. Bed for two - chairs for one! I shouldn't complain but I guess they are out to make money not impress guests. Maybe I'll try another hotel next time.

Stayed March 2014
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Reglay,

First and foremost, I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I am reviewing your feedback with our food and beverage service and culinary teams to identify any areas of breakdown in your experience. We take our service standards very highly and will review any areas of training that we should focus on in the future. Our Starwood bedding product is one of our highest compliments we receive and if you request additional firmness to your bed, we have the ability to firm the bed up as many guests enjoy our "fluffy" bedding package. Additionally, we provide minibar service upon request and include minibars in our guest suites. Thank you again for your business and we will review your comments and make the necessary adjustments for the future.

Stephen Sowards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Last month I stayed at the Le Méridien hotel in Santa Monica -- my stay was fantastic, the service in the hotel was excellent, especially Lily & Haley from the food & beverage department, the location was great, and my room and an amazing view.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Daniel W,

Thank you very much for the positive comments about your recent stay at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica. I will share your remarks and recognize Lily and Haley accordingly. You identified a couple of key items that our guests comment about frequently: excellent service, location, and amazing views. i would like to say thank you for your business and we hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I took my husband here for a quick getaway to celebrate his birthday. It's one of his favorite places in the LA area and I love it too. What made the stay extra special was the wonderful care we received from front desk clerk. DJ who helped to arrange a special toast/dessert for my husband. It was the icing on the cake of a fabulous weekend. Kudos to the entire staff and a special nod to DJ.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear J2014Wong,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel recently. Your comment regarding "extra special" care is truly what we strive to achieve daily for our guests. I will share your positive comments with DJ and recognize him accordingly. These "quick getaways" are so special and ensuring memories are created forever is something that can never be taken for granted. We hope you will visit your favorite place in the LA area soon and have a wonderful 2014!

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was looking forward to staying here as it's a Starwood hotel supposedly recently renovated - I was disappointed: the staff at check-in were excellent as was the young lady serving at the bar in the evening. However the room itself [on a preferred guest level] was drab - the bathroom was clean but not in the least bit luxurious - not what I was hoping for at $450 per night! Breakfast was good but again pricey - everything gives the impression that they cater for business people who will be expensing all their costs to their employer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynneewilliams
Dear Lynneewilliams,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to our property. Your positive comments regarding the front office team and lounge team will be shared with them and recognized for their service excellence. They do an outstanding job of taking care of our guests each and every day. Your attention to details with positive comments regarding cleanliness and food quality are a significant part of the guest experience at LMDSM. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to Santa Monica and have a great 2014!

Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was easy walking distance to downtown Santa Monica, the pier, 3rd street promenade and was on the bus route to LAX (not something easy to learn).

Had good breakfast at a reasonable price, with decent espresso coffee which after a week in New York was long overdue!

We'll equipped rooms with plenty of space. Room internet was $15 a day which is a bite pricey but that is my only complaint.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Paul C -

Thank you very much for the comments regarding the hotel and your recent visit. Your comments regarding our location are "spot on" as our locations gives us great access to all the great points of interest in Santa Monica. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our espresso as we have master baristas trained directly through our Illy partnership and this is very important for our business travelers. We appreciate your business and hope you will visit us again at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica.

George Town, Grand Cayman
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Lily made my day. All my luggage got lost by airline long line at rental car and I was sour. She made it better with a smile and some honest personality. I will never stay anywhere else in SoCal. She's thebomb.com and on top of that the rooms are good and it's close to the beach.

Stayed February 2014
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear KJDA-

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about your recent visit to our hotel. It truly sounds as if you experienced one of those travel nightmares prior to arrival. Your kind words about Lily and how she can take a bad day and turn it into smiles and peace truly represents her empathy talent that shows our guests how much she cares about them. I will share your comments with Lily and recognize her accordingly. Thank you for choosing Le Meridien during your visit and we hope you will visit us again in 2014!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our experience wasn't as positive as the other reviewers. We are Starwood Gold members and usually have great experinces with the service/staff. Not here. Patrice checked us in and was so unfriendly and not helpful with our room request. Secondly, we called down for a taxi to be there at a specific time and the person I spoke with (?) said they would take care of it. No one ever called one and we were 20 minutes late for our dinner reservation. The porter's outside said they don't have phones there. The rooms were nice - not Le Meridien standards, but fine. We used points, otherwise; we would have stayed somewhere else. Wouldn't stay there again because of the service - even with points.

Room Tip: The Ocean Views are lovely - definitely splurge if you can.