“Great hotel and location”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Derby, Connecticut
“Great hotel and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I booked this hotel as a "secret hotel" and was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. My husband and I came out to Santa Monica to visit family for the first time. The hotel is clean and very comforting. First impression was modern and inviting. The check in process was effortless, and the clerk even offered to upgrade our room immediately. Rooms are nice. Our room had a partial ocean view that was nice. The hotel restaurant food was good and promptly served. The bar is nice and evokes a cozy, intimate feeling. Nice selection of wines and the bartender was very knowledgeable about the wines. The hotel is within walking distance of the beach, pier, shopping, etc. Parking can be a problem if there is an event going on. On one of the evenings there was a wedding going on. We went out for dinner and came back around 10pm. There was no parking at all. The other two nights that we were there, parking was not an issue. Overall, a very nice hotel. I'm glad that we stayed there and would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear TravelinMarta,

Thank you for the comments regarding your stay at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica. You have identified our internal comments of the "secret hotel" as we are not the oceanfront hotel here in Santa Monica. What we offer is an outstanding customer experience, with intimate guest rooms and decor, innovative culinary experiences, knowledgable staff about wines and events going on in the area, and wonderful Santa Monica sunset views that create memories for our guests. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Santa Monica and we plan to keep the sunshine out in 2014!

Stephen Sowards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Friendly service upon arrival and throughout my stay. Rooms are stylish although I notices some markings on the walls and scratches. I had a great view of the Santa Monica sunset. Lobby is nice and convenient to do meetings in - never too loud or chaotic. Pool looks wonderful, just didn't have time!

Room Tip: Stay on floors higher up. I was on the 2nd floor and the bar roudiness from the lobby could be heard...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank seattlebartlettpears
Dear Seattlebartlettpears,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay at the hotel. As a top contributor and so many reviews, you truly understand the hotel operations and provide quality comments back to hoteliers in the marketplace. You identified one of our key components to any guest visit to Santa Monica, the sunsets, which sounds as if you experienced a discovery moment during your visit. Please consider us on your next visit to Santa Monica and we will keep the sunshine out for you down here in California!

Newport, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I were in Santa Monica to visit our son. This hotel is within walking distance of the beach and Main Street which is an excellent street for coffee or dining. We didn't rent a car because we like to walk and you could get a bike from the concierge if necessary. Also, there is a fee to have your car parked. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and clean. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: There are rooms with balconies so be sure and ask if you are interested. The rooms on Pico can be no...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at our hotel recently. Your review echoes our hotel location, amenities and bicycle (and shuttle) services available for the guests. Your comment about not needing a car is "spot on" for our centralized location and with our weather, why be sitting in LA traffic. All of this with our Santa Monica sunsets allow our guests a comfortable and centrally located property for their enjoyment. Thank you again and we hope you will visit us again in 2014!
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a beautiful property in walking distance to the beach, shopping, great restaurants.
We had a super view of the ocean and were able to keep our door open on the balcony as we were on the 8th floor. The beds were so comfy!
The reason for 4 stars vs. 5? While we self parked and were not charged, it was confusing when we arrived Friday night. Cars were coming out, valets were running back and forth, we simply wanted to pull forward and park in the garage. Also while the desk clerks and valets were nice, it seemed surfacey vs very genuine and truly customer service focused. I'd go back in a heartbeat and I'd keep it just like it was; owning my own retail establishment I know how difficult it is to get employees to truly care about clients.

Room Tip: 842 was outstanding! Quiet and great view!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear LynnAustin_TX,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about your stay at the hotel recently. I am very happy that you enjoyed the "comfy" bed as we have guests make comments such as "marshmallow-like" and "fluffy as clouds". It sounds as you were here during a large social function we had last Friday and these brief periods can sometimes overwhelm our tight entrance with departing 100 cars through valet. I will share your service comments and ensure we are "very genuine and truly customer service focused". This is very important to us here and ensures our guest experience is delivered far above expectations. Great tip on room 842 as this will become a favorite for guests coming in too. I hope you will choose us again on your next visit to Santa Monica and have a wonderful 2014!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a great hotel. Not only are the amenities nice but the service is great. When I checked in, I was helped by Hugo Barba. He was extremely courteous and helpful. He informed me of the options I had in regards to the rooms available. Although I had already reserved a room, he made it a point to let me know that there were other rooms available and an upgrade since they weren't full. He made it a point to make sure that I was fully informed and didn't have any questions. The hotel is great but the service is even better. Thanks Hugo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water. The views are beautiful.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nkudiya,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I will share your positive comments with Hugo as the Front Desk team does an outstanding job of ensuring our guest expectations are exceeded. You are correct in the views on the high floors of the ocean from Malibu to Catalina on clear days! I would like to thank you again and invite you back down from the City by the Bay. Have a wonderful 2014 and hope to see you back in Santa Monica soon.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Due to a sudden relocation from the Bay Area Le Meridien became an instant home for me at the beginning of January 2014. After a month of calling this centrally located hotel home I have never been more well rested and stress-free.

I start my day with a great workout in a very well equipped workout facility that is accessible 24 hours which has come in handy for my mornings that can start at 4AM. The only draw back during the day is the fact that the fan in the bathroom is connected to the vanity light and not the overhead light so you get ready with the low hum of a fan.

The service team has learned my routine and even my preferred breakfast. There are two options for me to grab a bite which makes my morning very easy.

Once I get home I have the best of Santa Monica at my fingertips and a concierge staff who has the connections. I have been able to walk to the great local restaurants on Main Street as well as the more tourist areas like 3rd Street Promenade.

If I were on vacation I would definitely select this hotel simply because it is the best value and I don't feel like I have missed out on anything from not staying at one of the beach hotels. If you ask me, this is a beach hotel you just have to put a little more effort into it and with effort comes more appreciation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear EricRayWilliams,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback about your stay at the hotel recently. I appreciate your feedback about the fitness and service at the property. We will review our lighting based on your comments to increase our guest bathroom experience. You make a great comment about our centralized location and that is definitely one of the strengths of our property. I will share you comments about the Concierge and recognize them accordingly. I hope you have a wonderful 2014 and we look forward to seeing you again in Santa Monica.

Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

This is a very nice hotel, within walking distance from the beach and the Santa Monica Pier. Contrary to what the photos show, you do not generally have a view of the ocean from most hotel rooms. The rooms were clean and very tastefully decorated. The bar was intimate and friendly, although a little on the expensive side (unfortunately, this trip was for pleasure, and I was not on an expense account.) The rooms were quiet, and the beds were very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Lawprof3-

Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay at our hotel recently. I trust your feedback dearly as you have many reviews and 20 hotel reviews directly so I really value the information. I will take a look at our lounge pricing to ensure we are a great value for the products and as you mentioned our location is one of our strengths for access to the Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, The Getty Museum, and Venice Beach as well. The hotel has bicycles for guests to use and ride along the beach strand from Malibu to Marina del Rey. Lastly, I would like to say thank you for choosing our hotel for your getaway with friends and hope you will visit us again in 2014!