“Has some kinks, great location”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Close to the beach, airport, and highways, rooms were clean. Noise was a bit of an issue due to pipe work. Bartender was friendly, front desk is slow at checkin (15 minute wait both times I've stayed)

Room Tip: waterside, great view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Ken R –

Thank you very much for your time today to speak by phone. Your feedback is very valuable and allows us to continue our focus on creating an exceptional stay for our guests. I will follow up on the procedural and piping issue you mentioned, as well to ensure it is addressed. Let me welcome you to Los Angeles. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We used the Meridien Delfina in Santa Monica as a host hotel for the 1st night of a golfing fam trip to Palm Springs. It was perfectly located near to the airport and within easy access of the route to Palm Springs. Tthe hotel was extremely clean with spacious rooms, the most comfortable beds I think I have ever experienced, it felt like I was sleeping in a cloud ! The staff were, without exception, fantastic. My group was pretty complicated with only a 1 night stay, 18 golfers with all their gear being stored withour hassle, an early start required staff to come into work earlier than normal but everything was dealt with in the most efficient manner with professionalism and genuine smiles and quality of service.

The location was great too, only a short walk from the beach, pier and great shopping and restaurants.

We had a hosted dinner in the sister hotel the Viceroy which was another fabulous property only a 5 minute walk away.

Thanks everyone and I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

VAAChampions2013,

Thank you for the kind words. It was our pleasure to have your golf group stay with us here in Santa Monica, and we hope they enjoyed the golf balls we put in each person’s seat on the bus as they departed for Palm Springs. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

First and foremost I would like to point out that this hotel is absolutely superb. The hotel decor is just lovely, with a contemporary style that isn't outlandish and over-the-top. From the moment we walked in we were greeted by Tim who went out of his way to make us feel at home. His charismatic attitude and professional demeanor made it seem as though this a person who really loves his job and the hotel industry. Thanks Tim! He went out of his way to make sure a bottle of champagne and chocolate cake was sent to the room (for celebratory reasons) which made our stay so much more enjoyable. He was extremely knowable of the Santa Monica area and the concierge staff was more that pleasant.

The bar is very posh, however I would recommend eating out during your stay. There are amazing restaurants along 3rd street as well as Main street in santa monica/venice. So many hidden gems and cute cafes!

in regards to the self parking I would recommend coming in early to ensure you get a spot. Remember people: It's first-come, first-serve. So please don't be upset when you show up at 9pm and are mad that you have to pay for valet. Also, I'm a LA local so the standard is usually 25-40$. Try going to SF and staying in the city- $60.00 a night for parking. Yikes! There are alternative options as well to paying for valet. There is a parking structure about a 5 min walk away (the hotel also has complimentary shuttle) that costs only about 5-10$ per day/night.

Will definitely be coming back! Thanks for the amazing stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear meow1717,

It is great to get a review from a local resident who has chosen our hotel over the many choices in Santa Monica. Thank you very much for recognizing Tim and the Concierge Team for local knowledge and great hospitality skills, and rest assured I will share your positive comments with them as well.

Please reach out on your next visit and allow me the opportunity to thank you for the business. We look forward to seeing you and your friends again soon, and hope you have a safe and prosperous holiday season!

We will be renovating our lounge and restaurant in January, so make sure to come try our new signature cocktails and desserts.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a recent trip for business. The lobby of the hotel is great and the people that work at the hotel are great. All of this made for a very pleasant stay. According to the website, this hotel has been recenly updated. I can believe the hotel has had a recent facelift, but I would not believe there has been a major renovation to the hotel. Most of the updates are paint an furniture, but there are still a few minor issues that would require a major renovation. Here is my punch list of things that could be fixed:
There hallways are long with lots of dark corners (nothing wrong here, but a little creepy at night).
The doors in the rooms are old and cheap - they feel light and sound carries through them.
Same issue with thin doors between adjoining rooms - I could hear everything from the room next door through the adjoining door even thought it was closed. I had to leave my TV on to block out the noise.
Otherwise everything was great. The hotel does serve breakfast, but the menu is very limited.

If I was in the area again, I would consider the hotel, but it would not be a sure think I would stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hello mnasf,

We appreciate your feedback regarding the hotel and certainly hope you will visit us again. Regarding your comments about the renovation, you should know that all guest rooms and corridors have been completed. As well as our ballroom, meeting spaces, pool and wedding garden. We start our lounge and restaurant renovations in January 2014.

I will review your comments on the doors to see if we can increase the soundproofing. We hope you will choose us again and visit our new renovated lounge and Zest Kitchen in 2014!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 4 nights and had a great stay. I read some of the reviews and I think they are overly harsh on the quality of the hotel.

I do agree the location isn't as good as some of the other properties right on the beach. But then again, I stayed in December when that is less important, IMHO. The staff was all super friendly. Our room was nicely decorated and it had a work desk and the beds were comfortable. Yes, the balcony was small but big enough to get a bit of fresh air and also we had a good view with the ocean in the distance from our room.

The lobby area is nice. I'm not sure about the quality of the food as we never ate here nor got room service at all. It's not too far from Santa Monica Place Mall. The free parking was nice but I do agree that you have to get there not too late in the afternoon or the parking spaces are all full. One night we went to Whole Foods at night and we came back and everything was full and had to valet. It's $32 a night to valet.

Our room was quiet and as mentioned, it was perfectly comfortable. The only complaint I'd have is with the internet access. I got the Internet included with my stay but the signal from the 11th floor was very weak. I barely got a signal and it was very slow. So they should probably work on improving the strength of the wi-fi connection. Sometimes it would say connecting from the Lobby and sometimes from the room. Ironically, half the time the "Lobby" signal had a stronger signal vs. the rooms which was puzzling.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear saintba,

We truly appreciate your honest review of the property. Based on your extensive travel profile, your comments are very credible. Since your stay in early December, we have just installed a brand new wireless infrastructure in the hotel, top to bottom, that is receiving rave reviews. We hope you will select Le Méridien Delfina the next time you visit Santa Monica.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Absolutely great property with very comfy beds, very good service!
Great location, only a 5 min walk to the pier.
Nice entry as you walk into the hotel.
Overall a great property with no complaints. A+++

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
DelfinaGM S, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Kate D,

We appreciate your kind words about the beds and service levels of the hotel. Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your vacation. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at this property in July 2013, and back then it was called "Sheraton Delfina." We were staying here as part of a wedding.

Service was good, and the room was spacious and comfy, with a small balcony; our bathroom was a good size, with standard Sheraton brand toiletries. I had access to the lounge, and while it was small, it was perfect to grab a small bite in the morning.

Note - this hotel is not by the beach. It's about a 10-15 min walk from the hotel straight down to the beach, and maybe another 5-10 mins to walk to the infamous Santa Monica pier. It's also about a 15 min walk to the shopping area. That was the only downside to this hotel being in Santa Monica.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Suman514,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your summer visit to the Delfina.

It is true that we have since experienced a metamorphosis becoming Starwood’s newest Le Méridien Hotel, and that includes upgrading our guest room toiletries and amenities to match the overall ambiance that we like to call timeless-chic. Throughout the property, we are also planning to add a number of curated pieces to further that unique connection our guests will only find in our part of Santa Monica.

Please come back for many new discoveries.

Regards,