“We liked it for our 6 night stay , lovely rooms and helpful staff”

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Very happy during our stay and loved the hotel decor. Very fast check in to a city view twin deluxe room which was modern and had everything we needed, wifi, fridge, huge tv, illy coffee machine, small balcony and the most comfortable bed in the world ! Buffet breakfast $18 was cold items only but nice with wonderful scones. Concierge was great, could not do enough for us and arranged a driver and limo for us to do a mansion tour in Belair which we loved, we also loved hiring the beach cruisers from the hotel to ride along the beach . Yes the pool is very small, the beach and shops are a 10 min walk but we knew that before we arrived so no problem.

Negatives - $15 a day wifi and $32 a day valet parking, if the free parking is full you have to use the valet. It did look like they were renovating other floors of the car park so maybe this will change.

Overall - we liked it and would stay there again, really good base for a stay in LA , close to the freeway to go wherever you are heading each day. If you are not a walker there is a bus (7) that takes you to the town centre and pier for a dollar.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Julie W,
Thank you for sharing your review in TripAdvisor. I apologize for the delayed response as I transitioned to GM after your stay in Q4, 2013. We appreciate your business and I will share your comments with our team.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights as the first destination in LA.

Check-in was easy and as we were checking at 11.00 am after a 13 hour flight, they found us our two rooms quickly so we could freshen up. Hotel decor is nice and modern and seems it has been updated only recently. Location is a 10 minute walk from the beach straight down Pico Boulevard, 15 minute walk to the Pier and 3rd street shops. Concierge helped us rent a car within a hour and they were great. Service was really great and nothing was a problem.

Only issue was an email that was being sent to them from a friend in Sydney, and after several attempts with various email addresses, they had no luck. Not a major deal breaker and I am sure it was all part of the Transition from Sheridan to Le Meridian.

Not the type of hotel to stay and lounge by the pool, however a great place to stay that has all the modern amenities and great service, not too far from the hub of Santa Monica and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Daniela1720

Dear Daniela1720,
Thank you for sharing your kind words about the property regarding your stay in Q4, 2013. My apologies for the delayed response, but I wanted to ensure you that your comments are important and reviewed for continuous improvement throughout the property. We appreciate your business and welcome our Aussie friends to Santa Monica daily! Have safe travels in 2014 and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Good bits:- I was fortunate to have a king size, ocean view room with a balcony which was of a good size and comfortable. The bed was extremely soft which is no good for my back but might suit others.

Bad bits:- This is advertised as a newly renovated hotel. It isn't! The lobby might be but that's about it. The room was pleasant but was not new. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been updated for 10 years and was the biggest let down in the room.

Wifi is extortionate at $15 a day (what hotel charges its customers to use wifi these days?) and other services such as laundry etc were also very expensive.

Very few sockets in the room and no working plugs for the hairdryer near the mirrors...be prepare to crawl around on your hands and knees to find a working socket!

Breakfast in the restaurant was basic and again expensive; $20 for an omelette and toast!

I certainly would not recommend eating at the hotel. I ordered a Caesar salad one evening and a plate of lettuce came out with some questionable greying chicken on top! Food was again expensive so best to walk into downtown Santa Monica.

Unfortunately the hotel was located a good 20 minute walk from the sea front and third street promenade etc so being your walking shoes.

The staff at the concierge desk were not educated or helpful at all and just looked things up on Google on their pre-historic computer. Their English is poor and became argumentative and frustrated when they did not understand your requests.

Check in staff were pleasant and were able to extend my check out until late evening due to late departure but I can't say this would be my top choice of hotel in Santa Monica again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
DelfinaGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Victoria E,

Your stay was certainly not consistent with our expectations. The great news is that we are installing a new wireless infrastructure throughout the hotel, and with this we are very excited to bring the highest level of connectivity to our guests. We are also working on bringing more electrical sockets to our guestrooms for improved convenience and ease.

Further, more extensive training with our staff will continue with actual trips into Santa Monica hot spots so that each of our associates are kept in the know and will be able to point you into new places for you to explore.

Thank you for sharing these valuable bits on your recent stay with us. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'd rate this as good if it were the option (goes from average to very good). Decent location, free self parking, etc. Its nice for business or to use as a home base if exploring LA. I would not say its a place I'd want to hang around all day at the pool. I've stayed here a bunch of times before the switch to Le Meridien and it feels exactly the same as the Sheraton. I don't think they really did much. Not the most luxurious or fancy but it works, and I'll probably continue to stay here when I'm on business in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello abc713,

Your loyalty is so important to us.

Although all of the new Le Méridien accents have been set, every day still brings new changes with continued installations of Art, upgrades to our meeting facilities, and on and on. All of these steps into refining our new brand and guest experience is also in line with our new AAA Four Diamond rating.

And, since you stay often, I suggest you try our Cabana Building when you’re back. Step out onto our new grassy wedding lawn there and relax in true SoCal style.

On your next visits, we will look forward to offering you a range of new, eye-awakening perspectives. Hurry back.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Even though the hotel is not right at the beach, you will get a much better deal hear than at the beachfront hotels. You can walk to the beach in 10 minutes, and to the shopping area around 3rd street promenade in 15 minutes.

Newly rebranded from Sheraton to Le Meridien, and the hotel looks fresh and newly renovated.

Profecional and efficient service. Rooms are fancy With a "boutique" look and feel.

Only drawback is that the bathrooms are a bit small.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AceF1969
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear AceF1969,
In reviewing historical TA reviews, I noticed that your Oct 2013 review had gone unanswered as the hotel was in transition during that period. As a Senior Contributor of TA, it was important that I respond to your review as the new General Manager. We thank you for your review and taking the time to provide the feedback for us to understand our guest's needs and then focus on exceeding their expectation. Your comments on the transition to Le Meridien are greatly appreciated as the team worked very hard on this brand conversion. We appreciate your business and hope you will come back to visit us in 2014!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am currently at the delfina and its 10 pm 3 rooms service orders later and I have still not been fed. This is the experience at the delfina. The room service and food is horrible, I ordered a meal straight off the menu with no exceptions ...40 min later and they send me a completely different chicken dish and tell me when they delver it..oh yeah we didn't have it but can't you take this one? After paying 27 bucks for what I wanted I told them no. Then I call bak and they refuse my call, 20 mins later trying to get room service I order another item straight off the menu and confirm the ingredients and ask for some dinner rolls. 40 min later I get another completely wrong pasta dish and sliced white bread with jam?.???. I seriously thought I was n a hidden camera show, unbelievable! I called the front desk and 20 min later no call back. What a horrible place to stay and even when you have money to spend they can't get it right. Too bad I have 5 more days here..putting lipstick on a pig still can't make up for poor service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not next to the street, will keep you up all night
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Ladogger

Dear Ladogger,

I agree. This sounds really out of the ordinary. I’m so surprised all of this could happen in one evening and all at our hotel. But please do respond to the private messages I have sent to you in these past few days so that we can look further into the details of your order.

This type of situation should never be allowed to continue.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The absolute highlight of our stay in L.A was our time in Santa Monica and at this fine establishment. Renovated into a trendy/chic boutique style venue, The hotel and its workers were fantastic.
On the 'other' side of Santa Monica, it is only a 10 min leisurely stroll to Beach or Third Street Promenade Shops/restaurants.
The decor in the rooms is top notch. Comfy beds and a quiet location made for a great nights rest.
My Family enjoyed the quality and atmosphere of the fine hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BozzaM

Dear BozzaM,
Thank you very much for providing the review for Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica. As I was reviewing past TripAdvisor reviews from customers, I noticed your review from October has gone unanswered and that is not acceptable from our perspective. As a Senior Contributor, your feedback is extremely important and we appreciate you taking the time. We are very happy your family enjoyed the hotel and we hope you will visit us again.