“Fantastic!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Monica, California
“Fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at Le Meridian Delfina Santa Monica recently and were consistently blown away by the staff.

They repeatedly went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

And that's only the beginning....

Not only were the facilities top notch but the food is as good if not better than many of the best restaurants in Santa Monica.

There are so many people we could thank. From Courtney to Hugo to David.....the list goes on.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Ezra,
First and foremost, our apologies for the delayed response to your review. As the current GM, I am reviewing past comments and yours caught my eye. We appreciate the positive comments and I will share your comments with Hugo, David, and the rest of the team. Thank you very much for your business and we hope to see you again in 2014!
Stephen Sowards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Horsens, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I am a platinum member of the spg and normaly always feel welcome and recognised. When I booked the hotel it was a Sheraton. When I checked in on the 11th september it still said Sheraton, even tough the was some Le Meridien signs at some places. To begin a just thought it was an old Le Meridien thas had changed. As a platinum member you get acces to clublevel. Normally free soft drinks and snack and breakfast. In the hotel map it still sad that I had this previliges and it also sad when I booked the room . In the afternoon me and my wife desided to go to the bar, which hosted the club. There was a lot of customers and I showed my Platinumcard and asked for 2 cokes. The bartender looked at me at se had never seen a platimum card before. Then see called someone and we were then told, that we could not get anything as the hotel was turning in to at Le Meridien. It was so imbarrassing in front of all the other customers. I meen wee spend 350 dollas a night and stay more than 50 nigts a year in the SPG. I have had my harley shipped over from Denmark and am on a tour across the USA and has been very loyal to the SPG becuase I like its benefits. If there is a SPG hotel I always stay even thought there might be some better and cheaper hotels. When my tour finsh in one week I have had 55 nights so fare this year! Just vacation not business!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hans N
Dar HansN,
First and foremost, as a Platinum SPG member I apologize for the late delay in responding to your review. As the current GM, I was not here when you stayed but it sounds like your experience is not what is expected from a Le Meridien and I want you to know that we have taken your feedback and incorporated it into our process to ensure this does not happen again. We appreciate your business and hope that you will reach out directly to myself if your travels bring you to Los Angeles again. You can reach me during normal business hours at the hotel.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at this hotel in Santa Monica (first time was December 2012) and once again I was pleased with my stay. It's recently rebranded as a Le Meridien and I guess they are doing some renos but it still looked the same as it did when i stayed here 9 months ago. It's very chic! Nice decor and the rooms are large. I was in a King room and I had a great view of Santa Monica and a little ocean view from the ninth floor. A little balcony with stable and chairs was a nice touch.

Hotel is super clean, room is clean and prett and bed is very comfortable and they were quick to bring me fresh towels when I asked for them.

There is an Illy coffee maker in the room which was great.

Excellent service and staff is very friendly.

Free WiFi in guest rooms for Starwood loyalty program members (it's a free program to join)

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kattrins,
Thank you for your review in late 2013 from your stay. As the current GM, I am reviewing old comments that never received a response and yours caught my eye. It is important to us that we communicate with our guests and they understand how important the information is for us in the hotel. We appreciate your comments and look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Santa Monica.
Nice, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel is well located within walking distance of the beach and downtown Santa Monica. We booked 1 night initially and then decided to add another, booking both by phone to make sure all was booked correctly. Despite calling the hotel three times prior to arrival to make sure they had our booking as a 2 night stay rather than two separate one night stays, they still had it as 2 separate bookings, so the check in agent was unsure as to the type of room we should have for both nights. This was a bit annoying after the effort we made with the reservations staff. however the hotel staff (Tim on reception especially) were excellent and sent us champagne and dessert as an apology.
The hotel was very nice, as was our room (the bed was so comfortable!) and we really enjoyed the hotel's bike rental service, which we used to cycle along the coastal path to Venice. Overall we had a really good time here, though the hotel's reservation system could clearly do with some improvements. I understand the comments about the parking, however we managed to find a space on both days without too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on higher floors are the best.
Dear CaliforniAkib,
Thank you for sharing your comments from your stay late 2013. My apologies that you did not get a response but I am reviewing older reviews that did not get any response and noticed your review. The comments about reservations will be reviewed for corrective action. I appreciate your recognition of Tim and will share with him your comments. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in 2014!
Santa Monica, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I came here to stay with my significant other for his Birthday night. We were greeted by Tim at the front desk. He was courteous and helpful with the checking in process so everything was totally stress free! He even helped me book my Mothers stay which was a few days after mine! I came earlier in the day to put some things in the room for a surprise and this was not a problem with them at all to check in early. They rooms are gorgeous with aqua curtains and white leather headboards. There is a mini fridge and big screen TV in the room I reserved for us. The pool is quaint and has servers for your eating/drinking pleasure. The bartender in the lobby was a sweetheart and even tried to upgrade our room, but it wasn't available. (Thanks for trying though!) We love this hotel and we are excited to try it now that it is The Meridian!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PhaidraT,
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor from your stay in late 2013. As the current GM, I am reviewing comments from old stays that have not received any responses. Your comments regarding Tim and his service delivery will be shared and he will be recognized for his contributions. My apologies for the delay in response, but it does not unnoticed. We appreciate your business and hope you have a special event coming up for another visit this year.
Santa Monica, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

First off, I would like to mention I stay in a lot of hotels of this price range for work and have quite a few places to compare to. Basically, the hotel isn't bad, but if you book a standard room here you're spending about a hundred bucks more than you should.

I booked a room here for my ten year anniversary because it was close to my house and we didn't feel like driving anywhere during Friday night traffic. In a nice gesture, the bellman brought a bottle of wine(not very good) and a small dessert(also not very good). The only problem is he didn't bother to knock before entering the room. Glad we were just hanging out on the balcony and not naked or anything.

The hotel itself feels exactly how you'd expect a refurbished hotel to feel. Old stuff covered up to look new. The rooms are nice, but not modern by any means. TV is older, slow to change channels; alarm clock from the 80s, no ipod input.

Service: We asked about the balcony and the receptionist told us they were "Huge." We came to find they are hardly balconies at all. She also told us we'd have a nice ocean view. Not the case. We had a nice view of the backside wall of the front of the hotel. Not things I'd normally care about, but don't butter me up.

The most bothersome thing for me is that a $50 charge was placed on my credit card for incidentals without any warning. Here I am four days later and the charge is still pending on my account. I called the day we were leaving to ask about the charge and the front desk explained it would clear upon checkout. I've stayed at many nicer hotels and I've never had money withheld from my account. I understand you have a credit card on file, but to literally withhold money from my account that I still can't access is ridiculous. I pray the charge clears by tomorrow or else someone is getting an earful.

Basically, this place is an overpriced tourist trap. I will not be returning for my twenty year anniversary or any other occasion for that matter.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Pmills32,
Thank you for the feedback you provided. As the current GM, I was not part of the hotel during your stay directly after the conversion to Le Meridien. I am reviewing past, unanswered reviews and noticed your unhappiness during a very important celebration for you and your spouse. I would like the opportunity to show you that we are not providing service at that level and invite you back to experience a special and memorable experience at our hotel. As a local SM resident, it is even more important that you have fond memories of your time here. Please contact me at normal business hours so that we can discuss this opportunity.
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I am a Platinum member for years, I have never had a negative experience at a Starwood property...until now! There was no note online when booking about the construction at this hotel. I was on the top floor of the hotel and it was still VERY loud and disruptive. The construction and jack hammering continued throughout the day at the hotel until 4:30 pm. I had to relocate to take conference calls. When I tried to eat lunch by the pool, my plate and glass shook around the table. I finally just paid the check because it was so loud.

When I approached the staff about the issues, they made NO effort to explain the situation or to make it right (i.e. Take lunch of the bill, give a free breakfast or drink etc). They did say that it would continue for a few months as they became a Le Meridian. I would not go back. I suggest waiting until the hotel is completely renovated.

The location is good, within walking distance to the beach. The pool is small and parking is expensive.

Room Tip: Just clarify prior to booking to see if construction will take place during your stay. I would hate...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Tvlgirl88-
Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay last September. As the new GM, I noticed that you had not received any response back from the property on your comments. I have reviewed your comments with my leadership team and have reviewed our procedures and training around your comments with staff and service expectations. Again, we appreciate the comments and we will work harder to ensure that our guests always exceed the Starwood guest expectations and our brand standards are in full compliance.