“Loved it !”
Review of Upper West

Upper West
Reserve with OpenTable
Upper West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 1 block west of Centinela
Transit: Santa Monica Blue Bus line #7 Bus Stop Pico & 33rd St
Description: Upper West is Santa Monica’s newest dining destination, serving modern American cuisine that’s as familiar and comforting as it is original and inventive.Featuring an open complete kitchen, a full-service 27-foot bar, a sophisticated wine collection and a long list of tantalizing specialty cocktails - it evokes the feel of a TriBeCa loft with 28-foot ceilings and an urban yet rustic décor. In addition to the chicly lit extended bar with high-tops, couches and dining room, it offers regular seating in an 800-sqaure-foot patio.We offer valet parking for your convenience.
Redondo Beach
“Loved it !”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband and I had dinner here this past weekend (January 25). It is very loud - if you are looking for a romantic and quiet place to have dinner, this is not the place to go.
Now to the food and such: We had a very nice waitress, I think her name was Lauren. Very friendly and always a smile on her face. We ordered a bottle of wine - Viognier Blend 2010 but our waitress brought us a 2012 without saying anything. We are wine snobs, so we pay very close attention. I did bring it up to the waitress and she said that is all they had. That's fine, but that should be mentioned. There is a big difference between a 2010 and a 2012.

We moved on to order our appetizers and how good were they ! WOW ! My husband had the Braised Pork Belly and I had their Carpaccio ! Absolutley delicious ! The Carpaccio had a totally different way to it - topped with grilled Romaine, Kalamata Olives and this tzatziki paste of some sort. Very very good.

For dinner we had the Braised Short Ribs and their pan roasted Filet Mignon which was cooked the way I wanted it. My husbands Short Ribs just fell apart - so very good.
We skipped dessert since we were heading to a Birthday Party but did decide to close the meal with a Grappa. Perfect !
We will be back - maybe try their Burger and their Blood Orange Mojitos. They both looked awesome passing our table.
Thank you Upper West for a great dinner :)

• Visited January 2014
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your meal, and to hear that you will be back. We pride ourselves on making our customers very happy, so we look forward to seeing you again soon.

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“Handled a large corporate group well”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Service was pleasant and efficient. Great cocktail and delicious salmon with perfect seasoning/garnish.

Visited January 2014
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are so glad you enjoyed you salmon and cocktails. We hope to see you again soon.
Guaynabo
“Nice ambiance Good food”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Service was a tad indifferent but adequate.I liked the casual chic vibe.I ordered the brusselsprouts which were seasoned sublimely and the mussels were fresh and done in a delicate light broth. I would go back again.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank CommeSicommeSa
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your brussels sprouts and mussels. As for service ,if you have any specific suggestions, please let us know and we will be sure take them under consideration. We hope to see you again soon.
Santa Monica, California
“Delicious!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I'm not sure what took us so long to try Upper West. I've seen them on OpenTable, Yelp and Foursquare quite some time but always stuck to the "usual" places we frequent.

But continuing our recent trend of trying new places, we gave them a try last Saturday. If you show up relatively early on a weekend, there's lots of street parking available. If not, there's $6 valet. I opted for the valet because I didn't want our X5 parked on the street. Little did I know, the valet ended up parking it on the street anyway. Oh well, now we know.

Upon entering, we were warmly greeted by the GM and matire'd. They seated us promptly and our server was at our table within seconds to ask if we wanted still or sparkling. I could go into greater detail about service, but no complaints whatsoever. I give service 5/5.

Drink wise, great selection of beer and wine - reasonable markups too.

Food was excellent. My wife ordered the scallops - cooked perfectly. Seasoned perfectly. I ordered the chicken kabob and a side of the curried brussel sprouts. Portion sizes were very generous, swiss chard and fennel mash paired perfectly with the rest of the dish.

Best dish of the night were the grilled shrimp prawns - $26 MP, so it might be 3 or 4 prawns dependent on the weight. The garlic, olive oil, perfectly blackened from the grill and fennel puree went together magically.

We'll definitely be a regular here.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank kiwifoto
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We are so happy that you enjoyed our service and your food. The scallops and prawns are some of our favorites as well! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sioux City, Iowa, USA
“Like The Vibe”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Trendy spot for Westsiders if you're in the Santa Monica / Pico area. Grab a mixed drink and wait for traffic on the 10 to clear up!

Visited October 2013
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you so much taking the time to write this review. Taking a break with us instead of sitting in traffic is a great suggestion! We are glad you enjoy our drinks and our vibe, and hope to see you again soon.