“Wonderful Ride!”

Pedal or Not... Electric Bicycle - Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Santa Monica's 1st all electric bicycle guided tour (maximum of 5 riders per guide) along the beach thru the Venice Canals. See sights where tour buses and cars can't take you. Let the electric bikes take you further than you thought you'd go in this 2 1/2 to 3 hour adventure. Pedal...or Not.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is the first time going on a guided bike tour. It was a fun ride. Barb did a wonderful job stopping along the tour to explain the history, etc. of the area. I would certainly go on this tour again. I would also be willing to do a bike tour in another city as well. I pedaled the first 1/2 of the ride and used the electric on the last half. I loved that I had the option to pedal or not. This was a great excursion.

All reviews
"great tour"
in 13 reviews
"took pictures"
in 6 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 6 reviews
"a lot of fun"
"the santa monica pier"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Booked this bike tour after reading the terrific reviews on TA. Parked at the Santa Monica Pier and walked to the bike rental establishment. It was a LONG walk. They said it was a mile but clearly was more than that. The owners were very nice and we signed all the necessary paperwork. Then came the bike "assessment". My daughter has not rode a bike in 7 years and just could not grasped the electric concept and after 5 minutes it was determined that she was not "fit" to ride. This is a mom and pop run buisness. Our tour guide was to be the owner. This was paid in full $118.00 for two riders. The owner elected to only refund half our monies. I thought this was bad business ethics. They did not "hire" someone to come in and be our tour guide. It cost them zero monies out of their pocket except for the 5 minutes assessment. Bad judgement in my opinion:(

5  Thank tWA4ever143
smelectricbiketours, Owner at Pedal or Not... Electric Bicycle - Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

First let me respond to the financial issue. This was a definite misunderstanding. Our memory is that we had offered a full refund and that it was actually your suggestion to pay half. The minute we became aware that you were unhappy with this arrangement a full refund was issued. Your $118 has been returned. I apologize for the miscommunication.

Second, everyone is disappointed when the electric bike does not suit a rider (the rider, their companions AND everyone at Pedal... or Not). Yes, we are a small business; our tours are small too, just 2-5 people for the Semi-Private Guided tour. Every client is important. We hate turning away business. Safety must be our first priority. Your daughter was clearly uncomfortable on the bike and seemed relieved when it was suggested that this might not be the best activity for her. Again, it was simply a matter of safety and we need to make the decisions because a rider often does not want to disappoint their companions and really does not know exactly what the ride involves. Our tours are best for comfortable bike riders.

We have very clear directions on our website for suggested parking that is just a block away from our shop.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your day in Santa Monica. Congratulations that your basketball team won the game.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

A fun and easy way to get around the beaches with an electric pedal assist bike. You can Pedal or Not as their name says. I am only reasonably fit and near 60 but found this a fun and enjoyable morning. My guide pointed out all the famous landmarks including the Venice Canals, Santa Monica Pier, Muscle Beach and the Marion Davies Mansion now a public beach park. I did pedal most of the way because its is almost completely flat terrain but you don't have to. I will do this again and am considering purchasing a pedal assist bike for home as this is great exercise but when you get tired you just hit the throttle and you are gliding along at a pretty good pace. Tours are in the morning, at mid day and at 4PM. I would recommend the morning tour for weekends as there are fewer people on the beach.

1  Thank LAHarleygal
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I found out about this tour after reading about it in our local newspaper and reading the reviews on Trip Advisor...one of the best decisions I made for my trip to Santa Monica!
Barb & Stephen were extremely friendly and started out our tour by showing us how to use the electric bike. After a few minutes, everyone in our group felt comfortable and in no time we were biking down the bike paths. Barb took us down the beach biking paths and showed us some of the bigger attractions such as the Santa Monica Pier, Muscle Beach, the Venice Canals, but what made the trip really incredible was her knack for telling the stories that went along with what we were seeing. If we had just rented bikes and coasted along we wouldn't have heard the great history and stories that were associated with each place.
The tour was a great pace, not too fast, not too slow and lots of time for picture stops & bathroom breaks. We were worried about being exhausted at the end of 3 hours, but we could have easily cycled for another 3 hours!!! The electric bike was truly fun to ride, I'm thinking of renting one again next time I travel out west.
Great company, great fun - definitely recommended!!!!