“Clean, comfortable and budget friendly”
Review of Ocean Park Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Park Hotel
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Good price for basics, and than some. Prompt email response after reservations with clear advice for after hours arrivals. Cordial staff on location. Rooms are clean and comforter covered beds are comfortable. Sharing very clean bathroom in hallway (women's with key access) with 2 shower stalls and 2 WCs reminiscent of European economy hotels. You'll find a commode in the room, but no bars to hang towels (knobs of chest of drawers come in handy), and only one hook on the door for coats (you may need a coat in SoCal on a winter's day). Rooms have an overhead fan, a fridge, a microwave, but no coffee maker. However, the next door OP cafe does, and a few doors down you'll find a coffee and a sandwich shop, The Coffee Bean plus a greengrocer are across the street. If you like hot tea first off, bring a mug and a heating coil.
For guitar lovers, McCabe's Guitar Shop is on Pico just two blocks west, across the street from our preferred grocer,Trader Joe's. Close to I-10 and I-405 this hotel is in a good location to venture in all directions. For budget friendly this hotel is very good.

Room Tip: Ocean Park Blvd, while an arterial, is not that busy, still, a room facing the parking lot will be t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I really liked the room. It seemed clean and it was nicely decorated BUT I have had bed bugs bites and I think it comes from there !! I am now paranoid because I keep thinking i've brought some at my home now!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BEDS!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrina K
Reviewed January 5, 2013

What I liked: budget friendly - can't beat the price; pleasant staff. Room included Wi-fi and a tiny flat screen tv. We found the beds very comfortable. We asked for and were given a room in the back to minimize street noise. The room was quiet. What I did not like: the room is basic: no chair to sit on; not a picture on the walls; our room had only one hook to hang your wet towels or clothes - this seems like an easy, cheap remedy; an outdoor light for the parking lot was located just outside our window (meaning the light shined into our room all night); the bathrooms are communal - the men's bathroom did not have a soap dispenser - meaning, if you wanted to wash your hands after using the toilet, you had to bring a bar of soap from your room; the bathroom has two shower stalls, but only one towel hook (i.e., for one shower, no place to hang your clothes or towel while showering); our windows were drafty and not insulated (apparently, some rooms have new windows); while the room temp was fine, you cannot regulate the temperature of the room. There is a ceiling fan, which probably comes in handy during the summer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Disneyboy21
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Very very nice hotel with very very nice staff. It's clean, comfortable, in a very nice area... Although it is far from beach the area is very peaceful and nice. And the bus stop is next to hotel, so you can get anywhere really easy. Plus there are great restaurants and cafes across the street.
The bathroom was very clean and they really take care of it.
It was quiet, relaxing... The hotel has big parking and there's always place for your car there.
They provide Wi-Fi, hair dryer, iron, soap for laundry...
The staff is very friendly and they will help you with anything you need.
I was there for 3 full weeks and I'd go back there anytime.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Of you want value for your money pick this hotel. The people are very helpful and friendly. Next to this, the beds are very comfortable and room is clean and cozy. Also, the location is near to santa Monica pier, beach and downtown L.A.

Room Tip: Aso for room in the backside of the hotel, no noise from the busy road.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was perfect. For the cost of staying in Santa Monica this place is so reasonable! I stayed with a friend and we were really concerned about what we would be walking into. I have never stayed in a place with shared bathrooms but I have to say it was clean and quite. The room was the perfect size and the bed was very comfortable! I will stay again next time I am in the area! It cost us for three nights what one night in a regular hotel would cost! So worth saving the money for all the other things Santa Monica has to offer!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda L
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My friend and I stayed here from October 12-15/12. After a couple of our friends cancelled their trip, we were looking for an affordable place to stay in the Santa Monica area. We were considering a hostel, and found the Ocean Park Hotel instead. I have to admit I have never stayed in this type of accomodation. Usually it would be a 3 or 4 star hotel at least. I was worried about the shared bathrooms and the condition of the rooms...read (fear of bugs). We checked in and their were no problems at all. My first impression was this isn't so bad. Very similar to a dorm room in college. Was a sleigh bed (which was comfy) with a bed table and lamp, a flat screen tv, micro, fridge, and a sink with mirror. Most hotels don't give you a fridge and micro, so that was nice to have to keep drinks cold. A full length mirror would have been nice, but that's not a huge deal. The next fear was the bathroom. I had no idea what to expect...did everyone shower together? So, you walk in and there are two separate stolls (frosted glass) so you can't see in...then two enclosed bathroom stalls. Almost everytime I went into the bathroom it was empty so that was great. The only downside I found was that there were only 2 little hooks to hang your towel/clothes on. Would have been nice to have some sort of shelf or more hooks? BUT the shower power was fantastic! Remember your sandals to shower in!

There is free interent which is great...computer at the front is there for guests to use free of charge. It's slow...but free! :)

Transport: We did quite a bit of travelling by taxi which can add up. There is the blue bus outside the hotel that is $1 to take you into town/beach. It is a $12 to the beach/promenade area. $30 to west hollywood or $50 if you decide to drink too much and get ripped off! careful lol.

The staff were all VERY polite and helpful. I would def stay here again and would recommend it to friends. It has all your basic needs. Housekeeping doesn't clean rooms everyday, but if you need more towels etc the front desk is more than willing to give more. So overall, we stayed here for 3 nights what most places would cost for one night...worth it? YES! Save your money for all the fun activities you can do in Cali!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends