“WOW great food”
Review of Il Forno

Il Forno
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Forno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 719 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 29th and 30th
Transit: Santa Monica Blue Buss #8 at 28th street and walk back one block.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Get the bruschetta its super. We enjoyed this place. Our son a Santa Monica resident took us there. Good service and great food.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The food was just wonderful. There were some unusual offerings, surprisingly many beef options and not many veal. But, we were very satisfied with the quality of the food and service and hope to return on our next trip.

1  Thank caribbeanlover18
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We wanted to enjoy an Italian meal the way the Italians do and the great folks at Il Forno made it so very successful. There were three of us; we shared all of our plates.

They have the most fantastic bruschetta here, served with warm focaccia bread. I've tried and tried to re-create it at home, but it never is quite the same. You could eat it like soup it is so satisfying.

First, we ordered capriccio imperiale, a delicious seafood appetizer much like a ceviche. Lobster, shrimp, calamari (no, not fried), and green beans. It was bright, fresh and perfect.

Then we shared a special fetuccini dish with a verbena pesto and fillet mignon chunks. The verbena flavor was very interesting; we loved this dish as well.

Next came a perfect pizza with gooey cheese, artichokes and olives. Really, a perfect Italian pizza!

Finally, we ordered two secondis, both from the specials of the day menu. The first is their excellent veal chop with mushrooms. This dish is rich and very good. The mushrooms could not have been better. The second entree was a seafood medly in a slightly spicy red broth. The broth begged for more warm bread and our waiter was happy to oblige.

All accompanied by a nice, crisp, Italian white wine our server chose. Perfect choice!

Too much food for the three of us; we should have had one secondi, then we might have been able to squeeze in a beautiful dessert! No worries, the leftovers were a tasty lunch.

We have been enjoying Il Forno for twenty odd years. From now on, it's our go-to place to enjoy the Italian way of dining, because they understand that here. However, I wouldn't go and occupy a table for the whole night if I arrived early, unless of course I was going to tip a ton; remember, wait staff rely on those tips.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Being Italian, I can assure you that they have the BEST seafood salad!
We were a little surprised they don't have a brick oven, because the pizza( we had the funghi selvatici) was a real feast!
The menu changes according to the season, and you will find that on some day they are not serving your favorite( when they had a weird fagiolini-shrimp salad at the place of our "usual" octopus, we were so deceived)), but believe me, the warm homemade bread they serve you at the very start will maKe this visit worth it!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I hate sharing my favorite restaurants online because I, selfishly, don't want them to be packed when I want a table there. But Il Forno is so good that I just have to post this. This restaurant is so unpretentious and low-key and the food is so delicious and the service is always so professional. It's the best of all worlds. You can't ask for anything more. The pizzas and the pastas are equally good, but I usually get the homemade pappardelle -- it's to die for. They have other entrees too (less carb-centric) but I can't get enough of the pizza and homemade pasta to ever look at that part of the menu. Maybe someday.