“WORST dining experience EVER!!”

Wokcano - Santa Monica
Reserve with OpenTable
Wokcano - Santa Monica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #375 of 691 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Santa Monica Blvd
Description: Welcome to Wokcano! Located on 5th Street just south of Santa Monica Blvd, we boast a full bar and lounge, expansive dining room, an upstairs outdoor patio (the largest in Santa Monica independent of a hotel) that is enclosed on four sides for privacy, as well as private party facilities to accommodate any need. We are open from 11am to 2am daily. Our exquisite selection of sushi & vast array of delicious Chinese food paired with our warm lighting, hip music and wood-accented decor, you are sure to find everything you are looking for at Wokcano. Happy Hour: Mon-Fri 4pm to 7:30pm
Marina del Rey, California
“WORST dining experience EVER!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Food ZERO
Service ZERO
Management handling employees stealing customers property ZERO

Do not go to this restaurant!! I had no heard of two incidents of employees stealing from customers and it has now happened to me! My friend and I dined at Wokcano restaurant Sunday, May 19th at 11pm. We were seated upstairs at a two top. After dining, we went to leave the restaurant and decided to go to the bathroom prior to leaving. On the way to the bathroom I realized I did not have my phone. I went back to the table, remembering I had left it on the top of the table (after taking a photo of our food). The iPhone was not at the table any longer. I called the phone immediately from my friend's phone and it went straight to voicemail. The iPhone had a full charge and an external battery case with a full charge. The phone had obviously been stolen, sim card removed, phone turned off. I asked the server and busser for assistance. They let me check in the dirty napkins bag and in the staging area but did not extend any extra effort. Both appeared nervous especially when I asked to check with the kitchen staff. The area we were seated did not have any other guests, was very dimly lit and we were gone less than a minute before noticing the phone was missing. We DID appear to be leaving the restaurant—so either the server or busser must have assumed we wouldn't notice. I spent days trying to reach the management and not getting a proper call back. Four days later I finally reached someone who mentioned that they have security cameras and would speak with their employees during the next shift. I did not hear back from the manager until I called back several times DAYS past the supposed "interview" with the employees. Not surprisingly, the employees said "no, we didn't do it" and got "very angry that they would even be accused". I am pretty sure that when someone hasn't done anything wrong they don't get so defensive. I then inquired about the cameras. I was told initially that the cameras do not cover the table we were at. During a followup call I was told by another manager that you could clearly see the table and that the only people who were in the vicinity were myself, my friend, the server and the busser. I kept getting the run-around from the management along with different stories. At one point a manager said he never saw my phone on the table. I asked him, "did you note when I took a picture of my food". He said "I never saw you take a picture, the angle would not show that". If you can't see me holding a large phone and taking a picture with flash of my food then you can't see the table. They were lying about the footage they had. I did not want to acuse anyone of stealing but it was obvious that it was one of the two employees. After many phone calls, being brushed off, not having calls returned by the management I finally asked to speak with the Manager of all Wokcono locations, Ling Feng Lee. He told me that he reviewed the video and that he could clearly see that no one had stolen my phone. AGAIN, I asked did you ever see the phone on the table or me taking a picture. He said "no, you can't actually see the table". So how did he know that the phone was not stolen? The best part is that they have the security footage and are taping the customers without their knowing but refused to show me this footage even after being told so many different stories about what that footage showed. I asked what they were going to do to rectify the situation and they said quite smugly, "nothing, this is a public space and we are not responsible". This was from the "Manager of all Wokcano, Ling" as he called himself. They do have a responsibility to properly investigate the situation, communicate with the patron who had a phone clearly stolen by an employee. They admitted that the phone was obviously stolen and that only the server and busser went near our table but laughed when I said "well, who do you think stole my phone, did I steal my phone?". They were rude, unprofessional and are covering for an employee who stole from a customer. I work in hospitality. I asked if we could meet halfway and they would cover half of the replacement cost of my phone $240. They said "nothing we can do sir". RUDE. If you HAVE to go to this Wokcano, do not leave anything on the table and hope that you never have to deal with their management!!!

• Visited May 2013

Santa Monica, California
“Good Happy Hour, but missing a few things”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Wokcano for a happy hour with a couple of girlfriends. I had specifically chosen this restaurant because I saw on their website that they had sangria. Got the the restaurant and was greeted warmly by the staff and sat promptly. I then asked my waitress about the sangria and they no longer offered it...so sad. They were missing a couple of things they listed on their website that I was excited to try and the pricing was different as well. The food and service were both great so definitely go if you are looking for a casual get together with good sushi.

• Visited March 2013
Santa Monica, California
“Great neighborhood spot for sushi and pan-Asian fare.”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

If u don't want to spend a fortune at Sushi Roku, here is a great sushi spot in the heart of downtown Santa Monica. Standard dishes and specialty rolls make for a great sharing dinner.

• Visited October 2012
FlyersFanInLA
“In-touch Service at Wokcano”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Just stopped by this Chinese-Japanase fusion joint near my bank in Santa Monica and I was pleased with the fair lunch prices, healthy fare but mostly with the servers who really were on top of their game. We were in a rush and they handled our meal with ease. I will go back without question.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank FlyersFanInLA
Santa Monica
“Oyster shooter!!!!!!!”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was my first time there,but the restaurant itself was recommended to me before by my friends,anyhow,we went there with my friend,just for some snacks and drinks after a hectic day at work and what a surprise it was...the drinks are fabulous the lounge aerea upstairs was very pleasuarable and the Oyster shooter with an quail egg,,,THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD,not kidding,please try this restaurant,the sushi we ordered was also delicious,don't remember exactly the name of the dish,but I'm sure everything else no matter the name is as delicious as the one we had,our waitress was little bit distracted but somebody else came to our rescue,I think he was one of the managers working that night,he was great and very gracious and just because one person had a bad night at work I won't say anything bad about this place,,,I should know myself,because I work in the restaurant business also.Please go and enjoy the greatest oyster shooter ever invented if you are a fan!!!:))))

• Visited April 2012