“Why Return?”

Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed April 8, 2010

There are loads of “upscale” and “pricey” hotels in the LA area and some of them are simply places you never want to revisit and totally try to forget!

The opposite is true with the Hotel Oceana in Santa Monica. We enjoy returning here.

We actually look forward to regular return visits! Yes, it’s conveniently located, yes; the rooms and suites are spacious and well appointed and very comfortable; yes, the Frette bed linens are luxurious, yes, yes, yes…everything you would expect.

But…..it’s the staff at Hotel Oceana; it is always the staff that really makes the difference.

Sometimes our flights arrives midday at LAX midday, we know from experience normal check-in time is 3:00 PM. However a call to Joey, at the front desk, and he’s got the answer! “Stop on Main Street, grab a light bite and something would be ready by the time we arrived”….he was right!

We had exchanged emails with Leah, Reservations Manager, requesting a view, if possible and a higher floor to minimize street noise. She nailed one of the “05” corner accommodations, on the second floor…great side balcony with full access balcony….and a huge picture window facing the park and the Pacific.

Breakfast was always a nice relaxing experience and Liz, our server, displayed a pleasant personality every morning…good way to start the day.

Of course, the Santa Monica area is overrun with great restaurants….but why not spend at least one quiet evening dining along site the pool deck by the roaring fireplace and sample the magic Chef Joe can weave (we’re vegetarians, so a little advanced notice always produces something “off the menu” from his sub terrain kitchen). Chef Joe (Joseph Feldmann) elevates his culinary efforts with creative sourcing of his ingredients and regular visits to Santa Monica Framer’s Market.

It is the staff that will bring us back to the Hotel Oceana.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank omegaet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

999 - 1,005 of 1,147 reviews

Reviewed April 2, 2010

As a frequent traveler, I have started to notice the little things that make a big difference.

The Oceana had all those little things covered and more.
The staff remembered our name and everytime we came back from the beach greeted all by name.
We travel with a 1 year old and the staff could not have been more obliging and considerate. We ran out of milk with a late night screaming baby, no problem the kitchen warmed some milk and sent it to the room in 3 minutes.

The look and feel of the hotel, truly provided a relaxing environment. Our room was a large suite, very comfortable. The coffee table books were interesting to flip through. For me the highlight was how comfortable the bed is, amazing sheets.

We ate all our breakfasts at the hotel, the buffet had quality fare, not the usual crap that is laid out to fill the space. We ate lunch out and about in Santa Monica all walking distance from the hotel. We actually did not drive once, while on our 3 day stay, that for me is a successful holiday. We ate dinner at the hotel once and the food was excellent. I personally spent a little to much time on the specialty cocktails!

Thank you Oceana for making our stay special, my only complaint is that you are not in more cities!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MobileTraveler19
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed in this nice all suite hotel at the end of a hectic trip around the sights of california. The reception was welcoming and a friendly but without being overly familiar. Our first room was on the top floor to the rear of the property (311 I think), which had some noise through the roof of the air-conditioning fan systems. we rang down to reception who sent some-one and moved us immediately without any fuss. The pool was nice and whilst we were there it seemed quiet hotel, without loud music or lots of noise from kids. This was despite the fact it was Santa Monica pier's 100 birthday. The pier is only about a mile along the wonderfully clean and wide beach from the hotel, with venice beach and canals approx 1 mile further on from the pier. all within easy walking distance (bus back!). There is a bridge for beach access just across from the hotel which made the walks easier.
For trips into central LA, Wiltshire boulevard stops at the beach about 2 blocks away from the hotel, which means its only 1 road to get directly Rodeo drive and Regent Beverly wiltshire hotel etc. the beach end of wiltshire is a very quiet road.
The food in the hotel is good, if a little overpriced, with good service and a nice location by the pool or looking out towards the beach to eat it.
Overall this was a very nice hotel, good friendly service, good location and worth the little extra over the other hotels nearer the pier for the significantly bigger rooms.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2010

My room (with balcony) was very large; it had enough sofa space to entertain 6 or 7 people easily and a separate work space. All the furnishings and amenities were what you would expect for a hotel of this quality and cost. I was particularly impressed with the competence and friendliness of all the staff I dealt with, from the valet parking attendant to front desk to bar staff. They really seemed to "get it" with respect to connecting with the guests in a positive, affirmative way.

I was there for the Los Angeles Marathon and they provided a ribbon-wrapped energy bar and chapstick in the room, as well as a "good luck" card. Late check out was also offered, and when I dragged myself in almost at the check-out time (I'd taken my bag out of the room just in case), I was welcomed to sit and rest up for a while in the pool area and even offered the use of a shower in the fitness room restroom. I really felt like a guest rather than a customer.
I

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2010

This hotel room was definitely better than I had expected. Me and my loved one stayed in a Signature Ocean View Suite last September. The room was amazing. The private balcony and the wonderful ocean view definitely made for some romantic moments. I loved the separate living room area with the large plasma TV and the comfortable couches. The bed was incredible. I wanted to take the bedding home with me by the end of our stay, I have never stayed in a bed so comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly. Our valet gave us great tips on where to go for the night life. (me and my partner are 21) It was also great having the Santa Monica Pier just a little walk down from the hotel. The only negatives were the price of the valet parking and the expensive room service, we paid 12 dollars for an order of french fries. Nothing else, just fries. Other than that everything was absolutely perfect. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and have already reserved the same room for our trip back to California.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2010

My wife and I took our 2-year old daughter for a local getaway-trying to get a little break; however, it ended up raining all day!! Our hotel stay was still great-we booked a "Lanai" Suite, which had plenty of room for the three of us. Next time, I think I would do the Ocean View, just because. We played at the park across the street between rain sessions, and had dinner in our room-hot dogs, chicken fingers, etc...fun stuff for the kids, and GREAT food for the adults-Steak Frites, Tuna Nicoise, and of course sweet potato fries for extra snacking (nice wine list, too). We went for a "walk" to the lounge after dinner, and the staff even accomodated us for a plate of cookies, while our daughter played around with Tic tac toe in the lounge. Wish we had brought our suits-the next day was nice and sunny, and the pool looked great. Will be back and will recommend for when our family comes to LA again, as well.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2010

A great hotel if you're on vacation, but ABSOLUTELY do not stay here if you're trying to work. Internet is spotty everywhere, good luck staying online. You can't escape horrible music everywhere, except for your room, where you just hear the crappy baselines from the music outside, which is maybe worse. They had a private party outside my room as well...that was icing on the cake.

To be fair, the pros: beautiful, large comfortable rooms, staff is very nice, should be a relaxing place. That's why I ranked them high on specifics.

I stayed here a couple years ago, a horrible stay, and the decision to give them another shot was a bad one.

I