“Beautiful Hotel! Stellar Location ! Amazing Staff!”

Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
basking ridge, new jersey
“Beautiful Hotel! Stellar Location ! Amazing Staff!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this property. The location is ideal as it is in a bit of a residential neighborhood but not too far away from the pier, shoppes and the restaurants. Beautiful ocean views in recently renovated rooms. As this was a business trip I took the recommendation of my client Anthony Baratta who was responsible for the lovely interior design .
The front desk staff is smart, helpful and oh so accommodating. Nothing is impossible and super attitudes. That goes for everyone of the employees I encountered at the hotel. I even was offered sunscreen on my way out one morning ---as I said above and beyond.
The restaurant offers a beautiful buffet breakfast hot and cold with delightful pastries, fresh squeezed juice, eggs, yogurt and fresh fruit.
Why 4 stars. The walls are very thin in this property as several other guests have commented about.
My last evening the room next door was accommodated by a large group(4) of adults
They were loud with slamming of doors, music , tossing a basketball etc
I contacted front desk staff who immediately came up to chat with the group
It continued until 10:30 when another visit was made to my neighbors at that point they departed
And returned again 3 hours later to pick up exactly where they left off.
The hotel has a policy of no swimming in the pool after 6 pm so as not to disturb guests yet
Noise levels from the room next to me were more disturbing than any group could ever be in a swimming pool. There should be some measures to sound proof these rooms especially with all of the recent beautiful renovations that have taken place.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room They view is beautiful
Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear missybrown,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am extremely grateful for your kind comments regarding our wonderful location, décor, amenities and most importantly about each and every team member you have encountered during your visit. ! We strive to create an atmosphere where one may feel at home and relaxed and it’s great to hear when our guests are able to experience just that. I am certainly very sorry that you could not enjoy a restful night of sleep on one evening during your stay. We obviously try to discourage any loud disruption from other patrons as we promote a very tranquil and relaxed environment. Constructive criticism is what inspires the hotel to raise the bar and increase our levels of service.

I do hope that this isolated incident will not discourage you from re-visiting us again here at the Oceana when your travel plans bring you back to the Santa Monica Area as we hope to be once again your home away from home.

Christoph Moje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was the second time we have stayed at the Oceana. Both times we chose it for a long weekend (4 nights each) to celebrate a birthday and anniversary. The hotel has a wonderful location, easy walking distance to downtown Santa Monica, beach/ocean views across the street, a pool on the premises, etc. What really makes this place so special is its staff who manage to be be both professional, as well as authentic without the fake "my pleasure" attitude. The restaurant is convenient and right on the premises, serving both inside and pool-side. We definitely hope to return there again and wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor suites are wonderful...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Basia48,

I am thrilled to learn that you have become such a loyal guest to our hotel after your 2 recent visits. On a daily basis the team strives to create a true Santa Monica ambiance where you feel relaxed and always welcomed back home when returning to your retreat along the Ocean.

I cannot thank you enough for your heartfelt recommendation of our hotel and am looking forward to welcoming you back for yet another long weekend at the Oceana.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and wish we could have stayed longer! The staff was very friendly and accommodating (going above and beyond for us on several occasions). The pool area was pristine and relaxing -- with lots of shade, too -- the perfect place to spend a sunny afternoon. Our room was fabulous!!! We were lucky enough to get a large suite, with a separate bedroom featuring a king-sized bed; two large flat-screen TVs; a living room / sitting area and balcony overlooking the pacific ocean, too. Our bathroom was new and modern with a great shower and tub. The hotel has a great restaurant on the first floor. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- and we highly recommend it. If you are in the mood for a real Southern California experience, definitely take advantage of the hotel's free surf lessons on Saturdays (with Zuma surf). We had a fabulous time and can't say enough good things about the company or our instructor!
We did not experience any noise at all from the pool area or other guests. In fact, we were told that the pool closes at 6 p.m. to avoid noise issues. The hotel's location is definitely a walk to the beach or the pier, but not that far.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view -- you are in Santa Monica!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marla C
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
dear CoffeeFrappe,

I am very excited to learn that you had such a fabulous time with us and that you consider us a "dream hotel". It looks like you took advantage of all our amenities that makes the hotel so special and I am glad we could deliver a true Santa Monica experience to you.

We certainly hope you will be returning to our home in the very near future whenever your travel plans bring you back to the Los Angeles Metro area.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was my 6th stay at the Oceana and this time I stayed for 12 nights, bliss! This is a special hotel. The staff on this stay were simply amazing. I had made quite a few new friends by the time I left, and I can assure it was very hard to leave. They make you feel very special and nothing is too much trouble for them. One evening 3 of us made our own way out to a restaurant and by the time we arrived there the Oceana had called ahead to ensure they accommodated us. We never asked, such a special touch from Lyndsey? I think.

This hotel has a great chilled out vibe and is unpretentious but welcoming & gorgeous. I changed rooms a few nights into my stay as I have been spoilt by the rooms at the front with the ocean views. Yes OK not all the rooms are quietest as some of the reviews state, but it makes up for it in other areas. It's not a purpose built hotel, and that is what adds to the charm and ambience of this place. They will do their best to re-accomodate you should you prefer another room and they have always looked after me - and I'm fussy!

The staff (here I go again) chat with you in a relaxed but always professional manner. They are not stiff , like I have found at other top hotels around the globe. They have a special approach and like I say you feel like you have made friends. I was greeted by my first name by many of them and they were always interested in what I had been up to.

The breakfast is still up there as one of the best. The linen is quality, the beds are dreamy and the location suits me to a tee. What more would I want?

Thank you Chris and your gorgeous team. I miss you already and I will be back as soon as I can fix it!

Room Tip: If you are worried about noise from others, ensure you book a top floor room. Kids will be kids and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Lesley426,

Thank you for talking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana beach Club Hotel,

I am extremely excited that you as a very loyal guests over the years have thoroughly enjoyed your time at our home yet again. We strive to provide this very warm and relaxed but also refined ambiance at the Oceana where every guest is being approached individually; and I am glad that we could exceed your expectations and you have made friends with a lot of our amazing team members.

I am very much looking forward to your return visit from New Zealand in the very near future and again thank you for your very kind words about our hotel and team members.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was going to stay here for 9 nights but checked out after one night because the people above me had a toddler that ran back and forth seemingly for hours. OR it could have just been that easy to hear other people. The sound proofing out to the pool was great. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so not a lot of restaurant options unless you walk up to Montana or the Promenade.

The restaurant although very good, is very expensive. Our lunch was 90 dollars, one glass of wine.

The kitchenette room gave me the heebie jeebies because it looked so dirty.

Additionally, if you are in a wheelchair or have strollers, you only have the ADA approved lift and it is covered in bird poop and the way is blocked by branches from a large tree. Not very family friendly.

The staff was extremely gracious and nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Selfie,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review you most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

While I do realize that your stay was less than perfect, I do appreciate your time to share your feedback about your experience as I do understand how disappointed you must have been to cut your stay short after only one day.

The overall soundproofing of the hotel is certainty something we are currently working on to improve with our next room renovation. In the meantime, if you decide to return to us maybe without your children, please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can select a very nice and quite room for you where you can relax and experience the hotel as it is meant to be.

I look forward to hopefully welcome you back to the Oceana and again thank you for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I work in the travel industry and have stayed in some of the world's premier resorts, and the Oceana is without doubt one of the most wonderful hotels I've stayed in. They just get everything right. The decor is sophisticated and tranquil; the staff are friendly, genuine, attentive and helpful; the food and drinks are delicious and the location is fantastic. I really cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It's easy to see why Hollywood legend Stan Laurel retired here - he made a fine choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Danielle H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I truly appreciate your kind words and your ultimate endorsement; your recommendation of our hotel to your friends. I do hope your travel plans will bring you back to the Santa Monica area in the very near future so we can treat you again like a "Hollywood Legend".

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at Oceana Beach Club Hotel for 4 nights in July and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. The location is within walking distance to any of the Santa Monica attractions, shops or restaurants, but is a sufficient distance away from the retail area and pier as to be wonderfully quiet. We have a 7 year old child and the walking distance was never an issue. We stayed in a signature 1 bedroom suite and what a treat that was. The lounge area had a sleeper sofa for our son. The king size bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever stayed in and the linen is also first class.
The hotel seemed quite busy during our stay and we never experienced any noise issues from neighbouring or upper rooms nor from the swimming pool area. The front desk staff went out of their way to deal with any requests we had and it was always a pleasure to return to the hotel after a long day out and always to be met with smiling happy staff members with a warm welcome.
We had one meal at the hotel restaurant which was most enjoyable.
The complimentary bikes are a lovely touch and we enjoyed making use of them to cycle along the beach path. The pool area is also lovely. We didn't make use of the gym area, but it looked very good with decent equipment.
Having spent numerous hours researching accommodation options in Santa Monica, I was extremely happy with our choice of hotel and would definitely book at Oceana Beach Club Hotel again if we ever return to Santa Monica.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BBM2407
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear BBM2407,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us here at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel,

I am thrilled to learn how much you have enjoyed your time with us and took advantage of all our amenities we have to offer here. I always think of a personal recommendation to your friends as the highest form of endorsement and am extremely grateful for this review.

The team and I are looking forward to hopefully welcoming you and your family back in the very near future when your travels bring you back to the Los Angeles Metro area.