“Somethings Great/Somethings Bad”

Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California
“Somethings Great/Somethings Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

First the good: The customer service at this hotel was the best I have ever had. Everyone that worked there from the valets, to the restaurant, to the front desk was so nice and friendly to my family. Everything was done with a smile and a friendly attitude. Whoever does their hiring should be commended because the staff their made the stay great. The food was exceptionally good. The location was great and it had a really nice feel being so small.

Now the bad: My understanding is this is a converted old apartment complex and the shabby construction is obvious. The inside of the rooms are great and decorated very nice, the problem is the bones of the building. The walls are very thin and if you aren't on the top floor you will hear the people walking around above you. You will also hear them flushing their toilets, running the water in the sinks and taking a shower. If you are in a room next to the elevator it will sound like someone is running a drill in the wall every time the elevator moves. I'm really not trying to be picky, it really is LOUD, we actually thought the gym was above our room.

Overall, if you can get a top floor room that isn't next to an elevator then this is a very nice hotel, with a great staff and very good food. But if you can't, then there are simply too many good hotels in Santa Monica to put up with a noisy room given the price point.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank whitedove4444
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear whitedove4444,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
While I realize your stay was less than perfect, I appreciate your time to share your feedback about your experience as I do understand how disappointed you must have been for not getting a restful sleep during your visit with us.
I am however grateful for your kind comments about our team members. We do strive to provide an atmosphere where our guests feel welcomed and relaxed and it is wonderful to hear that you experienced just that.
When you are ready to visit the Santa Monica area again, please feel free to contact me personally so I can assist in allocating a room for you.

Christoph Moje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Previously, I reviewed the Oceana as "home away from home." Home has been renovated, so it's now better than ever. The paint is fresh on the outside of the hotel, the restaurant has been updated, and the lobby has been reinvented. The new restaurant is excellent and the menu is superb. The interior of the hotel surrounding the hotel has never looked better. The lobby is not to my taste, it's a bit too fabulous, trying too hard to make an impression but some people will find that pleasing. The staff is still very cool, very real, and knows you by name. Sadly, the valet Captain Kurt is no longer with the hotel. He was a great guy and knew all the guests by name. I was sorry to see him go. The best thing about the Oceana are the rooms. They are huge, open and airy, with great views of the ocean on the ocean side and utilitarian kitchenettes in some of the rooms with less desirable views. I would not get a room next to the staff elevator, as it can be a bit noisy. Definitely ask to take one of the hotel's bikes for a spin. It's a great way to get around Santa Monica and is good for the soul. I go to the Oceana for work, and I find it to be a great oasis, a place to recharge after a difficult day. I can only imagine what a thrill it would be to go their on a pleasure trip.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra money, the higher the floor the better, third floor is optimal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jojothedogfaceboy
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear jojothedogfaceboy,

Thank you for taking time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. Any review that starts with "still home away from home....." is wonderful to read. In particular since we always strive to welcome our guests to our home to make each and every one of them feel welcomed and relaxed.
I am excited to learn that you truly enjoyed our remodel of the hotel and our new restaurant Tower 8 which has a menu created by renowned chef Josiah Citrin.
We can't wait for your return visit to our and your home away from home.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here with my wife for two nights en route to New Zealand. This is a very nice hotel with very comfortable rooms, pleasant staff, nice pool area and a restaurant serving good food. The hotel is located away from the action and it’s a good 15 mins walk to the dining/shopping hub of Santa Monica. Where the Oceana lets itself down is the attention to detail and the level of service provided. For instance, we returned at 4pm on the first day of our stay having been out since early morning to find that the chambermaids had not finished cleaning and servicing our room. When we mentioned this in passing to the reception staff - they did not pick up on our dissatisfaction and consequently offered no apology or made any goodwill gestures. We constantly found that we had to ask to find out what was available – the hotel staff made no effort to tell you what was on offer. We probably would not come back to this hotel mainly because of its location than anything else.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Gids83,

Thank you for talking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
While I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed our facilities I certainly would like to apologize for some of the service issues you experienced during your most recent stay with us. This certainly does not reflect the standards in which we pride ourselves on here at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. Please be aware that I have discussed your comments with the appropriate heads of department to avoid situations such as these from arising in the future.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future when your travel plans bring you back to the LA Metro area.

Radnor, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Oceana was perfect in every way. We stayed there on a part business/part family trip. Service was the best we have ever experienced in our very extensive travels. Front desk, valet, bell staff and manager were all very accommodating and anxious to please us from the moment we stepped onto the property. Pool area was very nice. We had a large and beautifully decorated suite with a balcony overlooking the pool. The whole property was spotless at all times. Lots of natural sunlight everywhere and beautiful sculptures and art. Location was perfect--right across the street from the walk overlooking the Pacific, but not crowded at all. Lots of restaurants and the main Santa Monica promenade within a short walking distance. We hated to leave and would definitely stay here any time we visit Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Some suites face the pool which we liked but could be noisy. Noise never bothered us, however. Doub...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan B
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Susan B,

Thank you first of all for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am glad you found our home, as I like to call it, "perfect in every way". Rest assured I will be happy to share your memories with the rest of the team as we strive to make every interaction with our guests a memorable one and to hear fist hand that you have experienced just that is wonderful.
I certainly would love to welcome you back to the Oceana whenever your travels bring you back to the Santa Monica area.

Warmest regards and thank you again for your kind feedback.

Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked a partial ocean view room, which was a stretch for us, but to our delight, we were upgraded to an ocean view suite! It was beautiful! They have a lovely staff, who greet you warmly with a glass of Italian champagne. There was also a handwritten note from the manager and a nice platter of fresh fruit. The view was spectacular. We had a fine time walking by the sea and found a nice restaurant by the water with the recommendation by the front desk staff. We asked for a cab to take us to Century City the following morning and everything went just as it should have gone.

Room Tip: Splurge for an ocean view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Wilmettetraveler19,

Thank you very much for talking the time to review your most recent visit at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am so excited to learn that we were able to exceed your expectations during your most recent stay at our home. I certainly will share your wonderful comments with our team here at the Oceana. We strive to provide a warm and relaxed ambiance with our amenities and employees and it is wonderful to see that you experienced just that.

When you are ready to return to the Ocean please do not hesitate to contact me personally to ensure you have yet another fantastic stay at the Oceana.

La Jolla, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a lovely stay at this hotel. We were in town visiting friends, and I chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews.

Pros:
1. Spacious, well decorated rooms
2. Comfy beds with the best hotel sheets EVER
3. Friendly check-in with a glass of Proseco
4. Charming on-site restaurant
5. Center courtyard pool area is fun
6. Walking distance to shops, dining and beach. We went to third street promenade for shopping and happy hour. We walked up Wilshire about 9 blocks to Huckleberry for breakfast, yum!
7. Free parking on certain neighborhood streets
8. Fantastic location for the LA marathon, which was today. We were two blocks from the finish line and enjoyed cheering for the runners.

Cons:
1. No jacuzzi. We had gone for a hike and it was a cool, marine layer, kind of afternoon. A drink and a jacuzzi would have really hit the spot.
2. Price. Santa Monica is a pricey hotel market, and the LA Marathon may have had a role in that, but $391 out the door, room +resort fee+tax (we parked on the street) is a little steep and I wouldn't run back unless I had a need to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank solomentehawaii
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear solomentehawaii,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am glad to learn that our amenities, rooms and staff made you feel comfortable and welcome and you could overall enjoy a memorable weekend with us during the LA Marathon.

We certainly would love to have a Jacuzzi here at our hotel, however due to some building constraints we were not able to add one. However we have just added a lovely and cozy fireplace in our new Restaurant Tower 8 that seems like a perfect spot to enjoy a drink during a cool and foggy afternoon.
I definitely would love to welcome you back here at the Oceana when your travel plans bring you back to the Santa Monica Area.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice - once during the renovation and once after - both were excellent. (A word of background - I usually prefer to stay at larger hotels.) This is a small hotel with a super-attentive staff that knows how to avoid being overbearing.

Location can't be beat. Right on a quiet part of Ocean Ave, with a great view of the ocean and a little park across the street for yoga, etc. If you are lucky, you can sometimes find street parking to avoid valet charges. Downtown Santa Monica and the Pier are a 2 minute drive away. The beach is way down the cliff, so don't arrive expecting to be on the beach. You are way above it.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, welcoming and comfortable. The bathrooms, beds and linen are high end and luxurious (Frette!). Wi-fi is included with the $25 resort charge (I don't like this charge as a business traveler who did not hang out at the pool, especially when combined with the outrageous Santa Monica tourism tax).

Food - delicious. The breakfast is a great value for $25. Fantastic buffet (including fresh juices, Greek yogurt, homemade granola, eggs, etc) and the ability to order omelettes, pancakes and waffles. At night, great cocktails and a nice dinner menu. Service is laid back, but excellent. And the view of the ocean can't be beat.

Rates - this is the Oceana's real advantage. They offer high quality service and accommodations for about half the price of the Fairmont and Shutters.

Kudos to the folks at the Oceana. I'm a convert, even when there is a Fairmont right down the street!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the North side that have no light.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NYFFlyer
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear NYFFlyer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. I am thrilled already with your headline and enjoyed reading your review very much. I am excited that you enjoyed everything about the hotel from the location to the amenities to the Food and Beverage Offerings. But I am most excited that you enjoyed the interactions with our staff and be rest assured that I will share your wonderful comments with them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in Santa Monica.